New reels

Nstewart123

Reaction score
hello I’m newish to fishing a have just been ripped off with some reels, so I’m buying new this time can anyone recommend some have decent reels for around the £50 but if there’s some for £70 I’d go to that. Carp fishing, thanks

mikench

Reaction score
I don't carp fish deliberately and thus do not possess monster reels. I can however suggest Shimano St or DL baitrunners up to 6000 size which are well made and in your price bracket. They can be used for most forms of fishing and thus far more versatile. If looked after they will give excellent service.

The previous model Daiwa Emcast is an excellent reel up to 5500 size. I have two 3500 size and the new model in 4000. I also have several Shimano Baitrunners from the ST, DL to X Aero and they are excellent so I can vouch for them from personal experience. I can't comment on reels from other manufacturers.

Second hand carp reels are always available on eBay for prices around your budget or less but if you want brand new I would stick to the marques mentioned above.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve had no problems at all using Shimano baitrunners and have several different model Shimanos in the £70-ish price range and all have given me stirling service over the years.

For large Carp they start in the 6000 and 7000 upwards series however I also have four of the 5000 series of baitrunners (which are no longer made) that will also very easily handle large Carp; and have done on a lot of my Carp sessions.

For smaller Carp like on the average commie then even the 3000 and 4000 series of Shimano’s would easily suffice.

Although there will be minor differences in the gearing the main differences in the different series of reel is going to be the spool sizes and even the 4000 and 5000 series hold more than enough line to cast a very long way..

For ultra long range Carp fishing they tend to use different types of long cone big pit reels usually without the baitrunner function but unless you are regularly needing to cast 100 to 150 metres I wouldn’t really bother with those.

That’s my recommendations anyway, someone else may have different likes and dislikes of course.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Another Shimano baitrunner fan. Never had a problem. I would say go for the next model above the basic ones though. These come with a spare spool. The base line models do not and have to be bought afterwards.
6000 size is ideal for carp and the 4000 size for just about everything else but would feel too small for a carp rod though. I use 4000 size on smaller waters with a barbel stamp of rod.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use either an old 4010 shimano baitrunner or a 4000DL Shimano baitrunner. These are used with a 12' - 13' Shimano Speedcast 90g feeder rod ( other brands available)
I have caught carp from 4lbs to 15lbs with these reels and had no problems at all.
I have no affiliation to Shimano,

mikench

Reaction score
Sore no kotoba o shinjite wa ikemasen. Kare wa Nagasaki Kenzō to yoba reta.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've always used Shimano Baitrunners in the past and I agree they're bullet-proof. But when I bought a couple of new carp rods earlier this year, it seemed a bit mad to pay a lot more than they cost for the reels to go with them, so I got myself a pair of Korum Latitude 6000 freespool reels for a little over £50 each. I've been very happy with them so far, and the freespool levers click over nice and gently when the handle is turned, unlike the rat-trap violence of my Baitrunners (which are admittedly early 1990s models). Whether the Latitudes will still be as good in 20 years time, I don't know, but I may not be around to tell you by then... :unsure: