Newbee lure question....

dudley83

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am new to lure fishing and I am looking for some advice and tips please.

I have been using a site called The Lure Box for new lures and to get some ideas on catching large predators this year. After much time on the website I was wondering if anybody here has used (and had success) with any of the following lures for big perch and big pike? (Links added for photo reference):

* EASTFIELD LURES WINGMAN CURLYTAIL 23CM (Eastfield Lures Wingman Curlytail | The Lure Box | The Lure Box)

* WESTIN HYPO TEEZ (Westin Hypo Teez 12.7cm | Perch Pike And Zander Lures | The Lure Box | The Lure Box)

* SVARTZONKER MCRUBBER JR (Svartzonker McRubber Jr 17cm | The Lure Box)

Having spoken to the owner, he has suggested that they have some lures in from abroad, which while not being as well known / used in the UK, they are still awesome lures which catch loads of fish. The photos seem to suggest this is true.

My PB perch is just over 1lb and I have lost 2 big perch over 3lbs on the river Thames, so I am keen to catch both large perch and beat my current pike record of 8lbs.

I am new to lure fishing so any advice is welcome. Thanks.

steve2

Reaction score
Out of all my lures (100 or so) my most successful lure last season was a cheap fladen 6"rattling shallow diver
Next best was a multi joint alive roach pattern followed by ondex spinners.
Try ebay for lures there are plenty on there.

terry m

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

I am not a lure fishing guru, but I have had some success. I would advise that you stay aware that many lures catch more anglers than fish. But by the same token on their day, most lures will catch something.

If funds are limited, then I would split between traditional lures (Large Mepps, Big S Plugs, topwaters such as Jitterbugs), with some of the newer more innovative lures.

The best lures are not the shiny glossy lures, but the lures full of teeth marks with the paint chipped and scratched!!

Best of luck.

john step

Reaction score
Let me say I am a lousy lure angler. Long ago when I used to try (hard) I used to catch on Shakespeare Big S more than anything else. That was perch pike and chub.

I seem to remember Des Taylor winning the National Pike Champs using a Big S much to the consternation of the tackle tarts.:wh

steve2

Reaction score
I fished that pike match at Thorpe Park, while Des Taylor was catching on a Big S, all my fish that day came on a spoon. Seem to remember that he fished the under the Old Puddle Steamer, one of the few swims on the lake with any cover.
I went back and fished the match the following year and very little was caught

jeffreedfishing

Reaction score
Hi Mate!

If you're looking for Perch lures I do highly recommend that you jump on eBay and secure yourself a job lot.

Often with perch its a case of finding what they want on the day. It can be worthwhile chopping and changing so a job lot can be a cheap way to get bulk fishing lures.

If your looking for pike fishing lures its better to chose fewer larger baits you have some trust in for example crankbaits.

Pike are always less finicky and will hit anything that's passing them when they are on the feed.

The Sogster

Reaction score
For me the best for perch are the shakespeare big 's' (original 3 sizes), mepps spinners and the floating jointed rapalas in silver (9 - 13cm)
These have consistently produced for me for the last 25 years and I wouldn't go lure fishing without them.

Reaction score
Some really good advice here, and The Lure Box does indeed stock many fabulous lures.

With time and experience you tend to find that certain lures work well for you, over and over again. Others, that perhaps cost more money, become redundant because they haven't worked and you lose confidence in them. The hard part is trying to choose just the productive lures as none of them are cheap after all.

Soft plastic lures have revolutionised lure over the last 25 years or so, and a range of soft plastic baits and jig heads needn't cost the earth. In my experience pike can wise up to really big lures quite quickly (although they can be deadly when first used on a water). Lures of 5-7 inches are probably your best bet for pike. If you go very much smaller you might find that the larger pike aren't interested in chasing your lure. My last two 20 lb.+ pike were both caught on 7 inch Savage Gear Herring Shads fished on a jig head. Prior to catching these (on the same water, but a year apart) I'd spent a lot of time fishing larger lures without any success at all. I know a lot of other people were fishing larger lures on there too and, whilst these had initially been very productive, they didn't work for me at all.

An inexpensive soft plastic is the Kalin's Mogambo grub from AGM Products. These have a curly tail and you can fish them on different weights of jig head, depending on how deep your water is and how quickly you want to retrieve. AGM Products sells lots of lures that are ideal for perch, and they are very keenly priced.

It often pays to be different and I've always done well on spoons (particularly the ABU Atom and various Kussamo patterns). Another very successful lure type is a jointed minnow. If you can find any made by Bomber, or Storm Jointed Thundersticks, they will catch you a lot of fish. Rapala jointed minnows and the jointed ABU Terminator are also well worth a look. I've also done very well on large spinnerbaits, another lure that seems to have fallen out of fashion. Have a look at the Savage Gear Da Bush spinnerbaits as these are just the right sort of size for pike in UK waters. Hope that helps a bit ?

Last edited:

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Over the past few years I've come to the conclusion that pike actually target smaller fish than we would normally think. In cold winter weather I've experienced quite a few pike taking jigged soft plastic lures intended for perch, the most productive for me and my fishing mates being the Zman TRD's and others from the range . At 2.75" to 3" long fished on as light a Cheb rig and 3/0 wide gape EWG (weedless) single hook as the conditions allow has seen an increase in the number of pike as well as good perch caught for me on both canals and rivers.
I now fish them with a 6lb or 12lb cahira or knot2kinky Ti trace, 0.08mm (16lb BS) to 0.10 (20lb BS) Spiderwire Stealth Smooth braid using either a Zodias 4g to 12g or a Prorex AGS 5g to 25g rod.
The balance of this tackle has resulted in many double figure pike being caught with quite a few over 20lb, with no loss of fish by being under gunned.
Forget the flouro leaders used in this video, always use wire the perch don't mind.