Newbie with lots of Qs

Trickett

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just introducing myself. Haven't fished for about 15 years and at last going to get back into it.

I have zero equipment so my that's what my first questions will be on what to get. Looking forward to talking to you all.

Cheers

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Hello all,

Just introducing myself. Haven't fished for about 15 years and at last going to get back into it.

I have zero equipment so my that's what my first questions will be on what to get. Looking forward to talking to you all.

Cheers
Welcome, it would help if you said what style of fishing you will be doing and what budget you will be working to.
You will get some good replies about tackle on here, both in price and what the members personal choice and recommendations are.

Badgerale

Reaction score
I did this recently, so if we are talking coarse fishing, at it's most basic you want:

Rod
Reel
Line (strong enough for the fish you want to catch)
Terminal tackle (floats, hooks, yadda yadda)
Disgourger/Forceps
Landing net (some lakes and clubs have a minimum size... but then again I've never seen anyone kicked out for having a smaller net)
Unhooking mat (some venues require it)

I went the route of picking up cheap stuff from ebay. You can get a perfectly serviceable reel with line for a tenner, about the same for a rod. There's bundles of terminal tackle on there too. It's not amazing kit, but it's good enough and the fish don't know how much your reel cost.

I really wanted to minimise the amount of money I put into a hobby I might get bored of, but now that I'm hooked again I can slowly start upgrading.

Most of the expense comes from the little bits and pieces of stuff that isn't essential but is good to have... like bank sticks, tackle box, rod bag, folding chair... not too expensive individually but they add up.

rayner

Reaction score
Ask anything you like Trickett not many things are ignored.
Not much as changed in 15 years, you could probably teach us a little.

Trickett

Reaction score
Thanks all, nice to meet you and thank you for the tips.

I ended up buying some cheap gear from Decathlon at the weekend and went float fishing on Saturday on the Thames in Kingston (far too rough water to spot my little insert waggler, lesson learned to get more floats) and on Sunday on a lake (barely any bites but met a guy who offered some very handy tips). So no fish, but good experiences all round.

Cheers