NGT centrepin reel

kingf000

Reaction score
I decided to follow up on the suggestion on this site of the NGT reel, £34.95. I couldn't justify spending a lot of money for a reel that I'll only be using for 4 or 5 times a year. Having read reviews criticising the cheap bearings on the NGT reel, I also ordered some premium quality NMB bearings, double sealed for protection, 7 x 14 x 5mm for £9.88 with postage from Henderson bearings. The reel looks well made. Only a small gap between the spool and the backing plate, a little wobble but not unduly worrying and weighed 193g as advertised, 198g with my braided line and micro-swivel. The spool is held on by a knurled knob and it has a simple on/off click. With the original bearings it took 1.6g to start the reel turning and didn't keep turning for very long. I doubt if it would be suitable for trotting or casting with reel spin. However, it was really simple to change the bearings and with the new bearings the weight needed to start turning the reel was around half, 0.8g, and once turning went on turning for ages, at least 4 times as long. I'm hoping to try it out on the river this weekend. It is a pity that they spoil what looks like a good reel with poor bearings but at around.

Keith M

Reaction score
Hope you enjoy fishing with your new centrepin; as I do with my centrepin(s).
Where abouts will you be using it; and for what species?

Do you have a nice stretch of moving water to try it on?, or will you be using it for using on stillwaters? or both?

I’ll be looking forward to reading how you get on with it (y)

Keith

kingf000

Reaction score
Hope you enjoy fishing with your new centrepin; as I do with my centrepin(s).
Where abouts will you be using it; and for what species?

Do you have a nice stretch of moving water to try it on?, or will you be using it for using on stillwaters? or both?

I’ll be looking forward to reading how you get on with it (y)

Keith
I fished the Dove near Uttoxeter, therefore moving water and on Sunday I tried for grayling with maggot. Only a couple of grayling, better one around 1lb and 10 o/s trout. All except 1 were stocked fish, best around 4lb. Reel coped with that size of fish well and I managed to avoid over-runs in use. The avon float pulled the line off nicely. This morning I tried trotting for chub with bread flake - nothing and gave up when the line kept freezing on the rod rings. Overall very pleased with the reel.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You can apply glycerin to the rod rings to help with the line freezing to the rings. I bought some off of eBay a couple of weeks ago along with a couple of droppers and bottles. The were quite cheap.

kingf000

Reaction score
You can apply glycerin to the rod rings to help with the line freezing to the rings. I bought some off of eBay a couple of weeks ago along with a couple of droppers and bottles. The were quite cheap.
Many thanks. I already have some glycerin for making up fly line degreaser. However, I think I'll take the easy option of waiting until it is warmer and not go when it is so cold.

dalesman

Reaction score
Buy the glycerine from baking section from your local supermarket.