Novice angler needing to buy equipment

steve2

Reaction score
On a serious note we all must have Tackle we no longer need or use. I gave a rod , reel, bank stick and some termiñal Tackle to a young Polish lad who expressed an interest and was happy to do so. I was going to give some more ie a Maverick Abyss 11' feeder, an Oakwood 12' Avon rod bought of eBay for peanuts when I first started out and à Shimano Hyperloop 4000 réel and a Drennan 40 float reel with shallow spools. They would be fine with some hooks, floats and bits for anyone on a tight budget, young and just starting out or someone who has fallen on hard times in this Covid dominated world.

I offered them to the OP and that offer remains open but if logistics dictate against us then I will happily donate them to anyone on here who wants them. I can take them to Bromley on my next visit in November or they can be collected here.

I was going to hand them in to PAAS for their open day but it didn't happen.

What is PAAS, I assume it is an angling charity?
Are there any other angling charities I can give my tackle to?

mikench

Reaction score
It's Prince Albert Angling Society. They encourage youngsters and take donated Tackle to give out to those deserving. I suspect many clubs will do similarly.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
On a serious note we all must have Tackle we no longer need or use. I gave a rod , reel, bank stick and some termiñal Tackle to a young Polish lad who expressed an interest and was happy to do so. I was going to give some more ie a Maverick Abyss 11' feeder, an Oakwood 12' Avon rod bought of eBay for peanuts when I first started out and à Shimano Hyperloop 4000 réel and a Drennan 40 float reel with shallow spools. They would be fine with some hooks, floats and bits for anyone on a tight budget, young and just starting out or someone who has fallen on hard times in this Covid dominated world.

I offered them to the OP and that offer remains open but if logistics dictate against us then I will happily donate them to anyone on here who wants them. I can take them to Bromley on my next visit in November or they can be collected here.

I was going to hand them in to PAAS for their open day but it didn't happen.
Do what I do Mike, give them to a charity shop, with an idea what they should ask for them, that way they wont get ripped off by someone buying stuff cheap and putting it on a selling site.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
What is PAAS, I assume it is an angling charity?
Are there any other angling charities I can give my tackle to?
Get hooked on fishing are always looking for tackle, This is a charity that helps disadvantaged families to go fishing, they usually have a stand at angling shows ,I have helped out a few times. I know the CEO , if you want her number to see about donations send me a pm on here, they are nationwide, so someone should be able to meet up and collect.

Trickett

Reaction score
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you for replying on this thread, the input has been really helpful and offers generous. Once i'm kitted up and down at my local fishing lake i'll (hopefully) post a first catch post.

Cheers

Windy

Reaction score
Bib 'n brace no longer available to the hoi polloi... Trust it fits young Trickett, if not then please move it on to another forum member with my blessings. Good luck with the rest of your tackle needs. Seems you are on a bit of a flyer with the support above. Now all you need is an FM member near you in Sydenham to show you some local venues, tips and tricks perhaps ? Anyone ?