Nymph Fishing

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dark Art or mere Floatfishing? The Americans have turned the traditional wet fly fishing of the North and the West and the upstream work of Skues and Sawyer into the latter.

Classic Tuesday Tip: How to Detect Strikes When Nymph Fishing | Orvis News

Now, I have used strike indicators. I have a large, multi-partitioned plastic box full of them - home-turned and painted styrene and balsa, pinches or great bunches of hydrophobic siliconized polypropylene yarn, plus shop-boughts etc etc - but don't much like them: "I might as well be trotting, which I can do on any old river close to home...".

But a strike-indicator did once catch me a monster, though.

I was fishing a size-8 LS, sandy-coloured Stonefly nymph for sea-trout in Clarkson Country, Tierra del Fuego, where the gales often make the "twitch of the end of your line" indication of a take impossible.

I had a bright-yellow yarn indicator on my leader about 4 feet up from my heavily weighted home-tied fly; I had had a fish of seven pounds a bit earlier from one pool, then moved upstream to the best pool on the 18-mile-long fishery, Humphreys Pool.

So I made my upstream cast into the almost daily downstream gale and let the ensemble drift down towards me, then come level, then trickle downstream with me feeding fly line to it by sharply raising the rod tip a few inches so that that the several yards of line I had stripped off the reel and lying in the shallows at my feet got gradually fed into the river, so avoiding fish-scaring "drag".

Then up came a huge head in the middle of the pool and ate my strike indicator.

Hmm.

A bankside tackle re-jig followed.

I re-tied the strike indicator on a leader dropper and put a little size-12 Salmon Double in the middle of its polypropylene Afro.

Out the tackle went.

Rise to the yarn indicator, lift from me, fish on.

17-pound fresh-run hen.

"That's better ... one on the dry fly...".

Many more followed.

Last edited:

flatsfishing

Reaction score
Haha love it...nothing wrong with that in my book, adapting your tactics according to how the fishing is going. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was an interesting experience that soon set me thinking about (and very soon actually seeing, once I had started looking) how those great fish at times would rise like 2-pound chalkstream trout to fluttering hatching / egg-laying golden stoneflies (which that bright yellow yarn indicator had looked a bit like), then tying dry patterns like some of the Western States dry stones and generics like the Stimulator, and dries of my own in foam and deer and with rubberlegs. Very productive, interesting time.

Last night I looked through that box of indicator baubles and found an undercoated then orange-painted half-inch bare cork ball bought from a carp shop in the very early 1990s that I had placed in a tiny ziplok plastic bag with a 1.25-inch-square piece of paper bearing a message from a past me to a future me: "Note teeth marks. Big sea-trout rose to it and chewed it".

gofishingpr21

Reaction score
Hi,
Fishing experience is the best experience.Fishing is very entertaining activity. Different types of fishing like tarpon,offshore are available.

ibrahim13401109

Reaction score
Hi guy, nice to meet you who has done a great job.Personally I also love fishing although not expert like you.As a beginner in fishing I am browsing many website like this <a href=" http://fishingnew.com ">Nymph Fishing</a> .At first thank you for sharing your experience and this website <a href="http://fishingnew.com">Tipsforfishing</a> where I have leraned many exclusive tips for fishing.
Again thank you.

Last edited: