Our angling club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Several members on FM are members of this club,they know what club this is,what do they think of the clubs idea of having to book sessions on the well known river stretch they control,limiting to two sessions a week,sessions being morning or afternoon,the idea being to lessen angling pressure,Rob has already contacted me and we both have similar doubtful views,after all,the top swims will still never be empty,so some of the lesser swims,the fish will have to move to get fed,all this without an AGM for two years,so members cannot shoot it down,it means bookings must be made,which means you cannot fish on the offchance,jobsworths is my opinion,but....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Several members on FM are members of this club,they know what club this is,what do they think of the clubs idea of having to book sessions on the well known river stretch they control,limiting to two sessions a week,sessions being morning or afternoon,the idea being to lessen angling pressure,Rob has already contacted me and we both have similar doubtful views,after all,the top swims will still never be empty,so some of the lesser swims,the fish will have to move to get fed,all this without an AGM for two years,so members cannot shoot it down,it means bookings must be made,which means you cannot fish on the offchance,jobsworths is my opinion,but....
Get a few together and call an EGM , to discuss this.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
';m with Mark on this one as surely there is provision in your club's rules to call for an EGM to have this matter discussed?

That said, if the club is the one I'm thinking of, (the one where there is a no publicity ban) then maybe you'd need a very large number of members to reach the threshold required for the calling of the EGM . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score
This is not a comment on the mechanisms and mandates regarding changes being made without due process.

However, I can't help wondering whether they aren't attempting to make the right decision in the wrong manner. The mitigating factor being an inability to meet for normal monthly meetings, AGMs or EGMs.

Not surprisingly, I don't know the ins and outs of this club. What little I do know is largely gleaned from fishing forums. My impressions centre around two things. The stretch of river concerned is popular and prolific, I'd love to fish it myself. I also see many complaining about how busy it is, regardless of the time of year. This culminates in the odd complaint of people travelling to the venue and being unable to fish.

With all that in mind, is it really such a terrible idea to limit angling activity? Whilst a booking system isn't exactly conducive to impromptu angling, they can work and be relatively painless. For years, I avoided membership of a certain club. They had a water I wanted to fish. However, for some good non-angling reasons, there was a limit on the daily angler numbers. Back in the day, this was a total PITA. You had to pick desired days for fishing, write to a club official and wait for approval/documentation. That was way too much for me. However, a few years ago, this booking system moved to an online system. No more writing more than a week in advance. Only 24 hours notice is requested and applications are responded to within a hour or so (during sensible waking hours).

Keith M

Reaction score
At first thought I’m not really in agreement with having to book a swim, I think it’s fine as it is. If you get there very early in the morning then there is already a draw bag for the members to use for the better swims anyway; and if it’s left as it is now; it still opens it up when you decide whether to have a few hours at short notice especially on the odd occasion when you find one of these swims vacant (which I’ve occasionally found in the past).

If you have to book any or all of the swims in advance not only is it more unnecessary work for someone to do but more importantly it could mean that going at a moments notice just for a few hours when conditions look good is going to be history and spoil it for a lot of anglers like myself.

Although; if you only needed to book one of these few hotspot swims in advance (and not need to book any of the other swims), it might prevent a lot of the anglers who only go on the chance of getting one of these hotspots from turning up in the first place; so it might be a good thing after all, as long as it doesn’t prevent someone moving into the swim when the Booker has left.

Perhaps we should be finding out why these two or three swims on the short walk seem to be so good; and then trying to get the Barbel to spread a little more evenly by reproducing similar features and using waters bafflers etc. further up and down the short walk, and in some places along the long walk too.

Less water abstraction and more consistent flows would also be nice but unfortunately it seems like we can’t stop the water authority from over abstracting our water, but we may be able to minimise it’s effects with a bit of water management and produce a few more hotspots further along the ‘short walk’ and along the ‘long walk’ as well.

Keith

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Whilst I share some of the concerns of others I'm not really comfortable with airing them on a national public forum. The club forum has already had a lot of constructive feedback and will continue to do so, hopefully some of which will be helpful.

Reaction score
I will add just one thing before asking Peter to close this thread,on the letter announcing these changes it gives a named person to contact via email if you have any questions,however,on the website it states it will not be replying to questions on it,also Rob,the issue with the club forum is that the club officials NEVER look at what is posted,it is not run by the club,but by members,which indirectly is why I stopped posting on it,it is pointless....
As for an EGM,they wouldn't have one,covid19 being the reason...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know a club locally that has plenty of waters, lakes and miles of rivers. They have one very nice big estate lake that holds big carp and some nice tench; it has a very good reputation and everyone wants to fish it and the members have to phone up and book. Their other waters are good but thy get ignored mostly especially the rivers. Personally if I was a member I would want to fish them and ignore the estate lake, the booking and over crowding would put me off it. Miles of virtually unfished river and some good lakes virtually unfished as well would be very attractive, is it not the same for this club?

Reaction score
Yes,but the venue in question is exceptional,so you pay your subs and can't fish it when you want....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes,but the venue in question is exceptional,so you pay your subs and can't fish it when you want....
It sounds like to me this needs a booking system, I don't know it of course but it just sounds like it will be better for the venue and the members. And if it cannot be booked at any given time maybe the members will try the other waters more often, is it a bad thing to spread it out a bit. And I also wouldn't extract much pleasure from the same fish that are repeatedly caught all the time if that is the case, how many time's have you been there and caught the same fish over and over again? Wouldn't appeal to me, I would get bored with it no matter how good the fish were, I would rather explore their underfished waters. Plus, I fish off the hoof mostly, I don't decide to go fishing until the evening before or the morning of.
But that's me, you have your reasons I am sure. I am no great authority on club fishing, I have only belonged to one and I wasn't over impressed with it. My impression is they fall into the do nothing or do too much type.

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the booking system idea,which is basically the way they are going,is that it takes away any right of someone turning up for an evening after work and the like,or going to a venue,it not working out,then nipping down for a few hours,this venue is basically one that the majority only want eight swims,the others are fished because they are left alone as they have not got the numbers of barbel in,in fact you can really knock that down to four,at least seven pegs rarely see anglers on them,fish in them,but not what they want,when less anglers are on the venue,the pegs they want will still get hammered,so why change....

Also,there aren't many venues where you can catch a barbel every six trips around here,let alone every trip...that is without the chub,roach,dace,carp,tench,gudgeon and perch....

Philip

Reaction score
I am not trying to knock anyones fishing but it already sounded awful with so many people and that rule makes it even worse.

Regardless of how good the fishing is there is no way I could join a fishery like that anymore. I would rather blank fishing somewhere with no track record and no people.

steve2

Reaction score
Sounds to me that this section of this river could do with shutting down for a season to give the fish a rest from being caught day in day out. Not much different to a commercial water if the fish in these swims are relying on anglers bait to feed them.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the booking system idea,which is basically the way they are going,is that it takes away any right of someone turning up for an evening after work and the like,or going to a venue,it not working out,then nipping down for a few hours,this venue is basically one that the majority only want eight swims,the others are fished because they are left alone as they have not got the numbers of barbel in,in fact you can really knock that down to four,at least seven pegs rarely see anglers on them,fish in them,but not what they want,when less anglers are on the venue,the pegs they want will still get hammered,so why change....
I don't really know, it's hard for me to work it out. I would just be tempted to book as often I can, you don't have to turn up but that wouldn't be ethical. Personally I still wouldn't be that keen to fish it however, I assume it is convenient to you and that has upset that arrangement so I can see why that has irked you. You just have your life nicely sorted and along comes someone to spoil it, happens all the time I am afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.