Piking around Liverpool

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone give me any info on Piking within about a 40mile radius of Liverpool?
Locations, methods etc.

I have never seriously gone after pike before but I feel like giving it a go.

I would be using carp rods for it and I tend to lean towards wanting to deadbait/livebait for them, rather than lure fishing.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Piking on rivers seems particularly attractive.

John

J

Jack Pike

Give me a shout when you are ready John I could give you a few pointers

E

EC

Likwise here John, the Bridgewater Canal is a good a place to start as any, I can point you in the direction of a few decent areas mate!!

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Many thanks lads,

I am up for going pike fishing pretty much any time.

As I said, I have zero experience with pike aprt from one about 12lb, years ago from the Dane which basically hung itself on a dace livebait I threw out aftwer I saw it worrying the shoal of dace I was emptying from the river.

I probably have equipment that will cover the job apart from terminal tackle, but I have very little idea about methods and locations etc.

I do realise that piking isnt something to try without the right knowledge for reasons of being humane to the fish and also in order to catch any in the first place,

John

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
John,

The leeds Liverpool canal contains a good head of Pike. Nothing too huge but I suspect its better to learn on the smaller ones first. A few years ago we used to regularly catch Jacks on lobworms around the Maghull area. Read the match reports from the canal for areas that are producing good caches of silver fish. These are the pegs to head for as the pike won't be far behind. A roach deadbait on a simple running ledger rig should do the trick. Make sure you use a decent length wire trace.

Cheers

Rich

J

John McLaren

And set up your bite indicator method, whatever you use, to register the shyest of bites: winter pike on the canal don't move very far once they have picked up a bait.

John Prendergast

Reaction score
I know years ago there used to be loads of pike on the canal around Maghull, Lydiate and behind the Racecource, but whenever I have taken a look at the canal recently, I hardly ever see anyone fishing it.

I thought that the fishing must have taken a nosedive during my break, is this the case.

The Leeds and Liverpool, was where I did alot of my fishing when I was a kid.

John

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
John,

A particularly good spot on the Leeds Liverpool canal (for Pike) is the area around the saracens head pub (between Maghull and Ormskrik). Always used to be silver fish there summer and winter. Plenty of Jacks and also a lot of bgger fish as well. The stretch through Maghull and Lydiate contains some huge pike as well as plenty of jacks. I know because I was there all those years ago when the canal burst its banks and flooded onto the surrounding fields and houses. We were pulling fish out of farmyards, fields and everywhere. The EA helped us with tanks to store the fish in before we put them back in the canal. Some of the Pike I put back in were over 15lbs.

Best of Luck,

Richard

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Many Thanks lads,

These are some great tips, I cant wait to try some of these places out.

Because, since my return to fishing, I have hardly ever seen or heard of anyone fishing the canal, (this end anyway), I had assumed it was a lost cause.

Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case.

John

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Many, many thanks to Jack Pike for for showing me the ropes with this piking lark, three pike out on a most enjoyable and informative day for me. To top this, Man Utd got dumped out of Europe, do days get much better than this?

John

J

Jack Pike

Glad you enjoyed it John you did well mate . Did you get your pics btw my finger is still sore

J

Jack Pike

I will give you shout when out again probaly big water fishing next time

Milo

Reaction score
Jack Pike - Cheers for posting the SDAA web address. Just one question - how come they've got multiple websites, with the most easily guessed URL being out-of-date?

J

Jack Pike

I am just building a new website for them its got a few bugs at the moment so just bear with it a few a few links are disabled at the moment have a look a little later as I have to resize some pictures I will put the addie up later .

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Hello Karl,

I would have thought that the most easily guessed or most obvious URL would have been

www.sdaa.co.uk

That address works fine for me. Which one were you trying?

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Scratch the above, I weas trying to insert code, but it seems this site does not support it.

It should read

www.sdaa.co.uk

Is there another address, or will this address be sufficient?

Milo

Reaction score
Yes, John, that's the site I've been looking at. I just thought it hadn't been updated for a while, probably because of the bit about Anglezarke being new on the card. Apologies for any confusion! I understand now why there are two sites, the live one, and a new one in development. I should really have read the text on the 'new' homepage in full...

John Prendergast

Reaction score
Lads,

I have well and truely caught this Pike bug so I am all ears to any info you can all give me with regards to where I may fish locally (within a 40 mile radius) with a chance of some success.

Also keep those tips coming in, I am finding them really useful.

Anyone going piking in the near future or has the best time of year passed us by?

John