PM's vs "conversations"

Windy

Reaction score
While I quite like the new site software, look and feel of the forums can I ask one quick question ?

When I went to send a private and personal PM to another member on the forum there was no PM or "send a message" option, instead there is the option to "open a conversation" which, once accepted and the contents of my PM typed in, led to two tick box options for open conversation or whatever which I really didn't follow.

Is a conversation private between sender and receiver, or does it appear as an open thread somewhere on the site which third parties can see, or is it dependent on picking one of the two options mentioned, and if so which one should ensure a little privacy please ?

Cheers

Evan aka Windy

rich66

Reaction score
Windy I’m sure that it’s the old PM, but you can add multiple people so you could end up with a private chat group I suppose ? Say if you wanted to organise a fishing trip with 3 or so people etc

The two tick boxes appear to be optional at the bottom, allow anyone would let your recipient add other users so private could become shared. And lock conversation seems away of sending a message without getting a reply... I’m not sure why that functionality is useful ?

I’ve sent and received a pm on the new system and it seems like the old way

I could be wrong & hopefully someone who knows the system better will explain

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it Evan the two options are to:

1. keep the conversation totally private, or
2. to allow the receiver to further transmit the conversation to a third party.

That second option give me a little cause for concern as the T's and C's of the site demand that no one discloses the content of a "PM" or e-mail without the sender's express permission . . . . although by ticking that box the author is giving that permission but to my mind it really shouln't be an option to avoid error.

I always tick the first option to be on the safe side.