Prevent Your Fishing Rod Segments From Sticking Together!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
My Tips on How to Keep Your Fishing Rod Sections from "Sticking" Together!

This is not a videos on "unsticking" already locked-up fishing rod ferrules but to rather prevent this scenario from ever happening!

Through the years i've owned 100's of custom & store bought rigs (ie 1 reel on 1 rod). Trolling, plugging, jigging, whipping it didn't matter. The one thing that remained constant was i never had my rod sections lock-up. Yes, i do live in a tropical area but i have made changes to my rod ferrules to prevent them from ever locking-up. I just thought i'd share my process as i just worked on an Okuma rod that a fellow angler that lives up the street was having issues with.

Attachments

• Ferrules.PNG
    Ferrules.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 81

mikench

Reaction score
That shouldn't be necessary at all. I rub a little candle wax on spigot connections and have no problems. Mind you I don't have any Okuma rods.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
That joint looks way too slack after sanding. I could see the sections coming off when you cast, particularly the top one if it was that loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
This is is my friends rig from up the street that i worked on. In my commentary I fixed the problem he created by sanding it wrong. I showed the issue and corrected it. Since then he said no problems using it tossing 4-6oz. If i couldn't fix it i'd have given him one of my prototypes that i have to help him out. The earlier type is blue instead of black. He wasn't in this video as he was a bit embarrassed. Also yes it was easier as i applied powdered graphite which i cleaned off after i worked on it. But good observation as i didn't insert the ferrule all the way in & "snug" it. In hindsight i should've done it but throughout this whole video i had the tiny remote in my right hand to control my cam & couldn't apply that pressure unless i put the remote down. Thanks for you observations.