Prices of centrepins...

fishface1

Reaction score
barbel.jpeg
'pins don't need to be expensive to catch fish.
I have had, or tried, lots over the years, but the "new" bearing type reels suit my fishing as well as the more expensive "proper" pins.

Philip

Reaction score
Two of the lads at work each bought a Stillwater branded 'pin, one the Severn and the other the Wensum and I was impressed with both.

Both are bearing reels and spin very freely, one of them christened his with a few Barbel when I guested him on a club water and it performed admirably especially considering the relatively low price which I think was around £45 and it looked the part too.

The Wensum looks uncannily like, dare I say -is- the same as the Marco Cortesi Mark 1 reel ...I have a couple of those and like them alot. I think I paid @£35 for them a few years back.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only way you'll ever be a millionaire is the same way I will-- by not losing any ?!

Just clocked your post regarding your fall, fingers crossed for you that you get back up and running asap!

Reaction score
Where was that Ian,didn't see any post about Mick taking a fall???

dicky123

Reaction score
High-end Centrepins are very nice and collectible. However unlike fixed spool reels I dont believe there is great deal of difference in functionality between a centre pin costing £50 and £350 indeed some of my cheaper pins such as the Okuma Aventa actually spins better than my Youngs purist. One of my mates has a Tf Gear model which he paid £45 for I was very impressed and I am sure would make a superb trotting reel being very free running. Last centrepin I brought was a Rapidex it's not particularly free running so will reserve it for small stream barbel fishing. In summary it should be possible to pick up a perfectly good centrepin up for less than £100

I'm not arguing Chevin, but I don't think that first sentence is quite true. Most of the Youngs go for less than the brought price as do many of the older reels, like Rapidex and such. Its only the odd hand made reels that sell for £400+ actually increase in value slightly. Then you have the Hardy's but they tend to have a niche market. I'd not say high-end centre-pins were collectible, if were talking about them being value for money buddy. But its just my take on things. But I do agree you can get a cracker for £100 or so, Okuma being a fine example, i was very disappointed with my Youngs, hence I sold it for a loss? Keep safe Buddy.

chevin4

Reaction score
I'm not arguing Chevin, but I don't think that first sentence is quite true. Most of the Youngs go for less than the brought price as do many of the older reels, like Rapidex and such. Its only the odd hand made reels that sell for £400+ actually increase in value slightly. Then you have the Hardy's but they tend to have a niche market. I'd not say high-end centre-pins were collectible, if were talking about them being value for money buddy. But its just my take on things. But I do agree you can get a cracker for £100 or so, Okuma being a fine example, i was very disappointed with my Youngs, hence I sold it for a loss? Keep safe Buddy.
I think the current models of Youngs reels will appreciate in value if kept in good condition and the boxes are kept. Rapidex and Trudex reels are fetching around £60-£100 for models in good condition not bad for considering they would have cost around £6 when new back in the day. Take care in these difficult times

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely convinced that the vast majority of centrepins appreciate in value at all. An old Youngs pin selling for £6 in the sixties is actually selling for less now than just a simple inflationary increase would account for. To that end, they've not increased in value at all.

The three types of pin I have that seem to be worth more than I paid for them all have something in common. They were all bought at knockdown prices once their production had ceased and they were cleared because few seemed to want to buy them. Each of the three were largely panned on forums and Faceache. Once they were unavailable for a while, second hand prices start outstripping the purchase price I paid and even the original RRP in some cases. Trying to second guess what reels this might happen to is nigh on impossible. All three could just as easily be worth less than the discounted price I paid. in another few years they may be worth very little.

If I were to try to buy any centrepin with any prospect of it increasing in value, it would be something expensive and limited availability. Something along the lines of a Chris Lythe. However, even then, it's hardly a fantastic investment unless you actually want an excellent centrepin reel.

Pins can certainly be collectable, plenty of folks do just that. Values have almost nothing to do with something's collectability. There are people out there that collect empty crisp packets, beer mats, empty shotgun cartridges, and the like, with no thought at all about monetary values.

chevin4

Reaction score
Interesting £6 in 1968 would be equivalent of approx £85 now.

Reaction score
Funny that,I did similar,bought a Hardy 10ft Avon from Anglers Corner(Leagrave,Luton)for £13/10/6,then when on holiday in Christchurch I bought a Hardy Fred J Taylor trotter for £17/19/6(I think)from Davis's,I still have both today,though they have not been used for probably 30 years,maybe more,great rods back then,worth nothing now,as both have replacement more modern tip rings,after me grooving the old glass lined ones...

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I bought a 14ft 6inch Match Enterprise; a rod which Billy Lane was promoting at around that time which cost me a similar amount.
It ended up supporting my runner beans a few years later. When I eventually replaced it :giggle:

Keith

Reaction score
Made by Milbro,I too had one,shortly after I bought a 14ft tipster by East Anglian rod company,both incredibly heavy beasts as I remember....