Prices of centrepins...

Aknib

Reaction score
Two of the lads at work each bought a Stillwater branded 'pin, one the Severn and the other the Wensum and I was impressed with both.

Both are bearing reels and spin very freely, one of them christened his with a few Barbel when I guested him on a club water and it performed admirably especially considering the relatively low price which I think was around £45 and it looked the part too.

Personally I had issues justifying the cost of the Conquests that I bought but I'm glad I did, anything over that though is quite frankly above my pay grade.

I'm happy with my lot though, and you can't put a price on that :)

John Aston

Reaction score
Best centrepin I have ever used is my Okuma Aventa ; head and shoulders better than my beloved Match Aerial(16th birthday present in 1968 ) and don't get me started on the Adcocks Stanton , which was expensive and lasted all of three seasons before deciding it wanted to sound like a coffee grinder.

Reaction score
Two of the lads at work each bought a Stillwater branded 'pin, one the Severn and the other the Wensum and I was impressed with both.

Both are bearing reels and spin very freely, one of them christened his with a few Barbel when I guested him on a club water and it performed admirably especially considering the relatively low price which I think was around £45 and it looked the part too.

Personally I had issues justifying the cost of the Conquests that I bought but I'm glad I did, anything over that though is quite frankly above my pay grade.

I'm happy with my lot though, and you can't put a price on that :)

But Steve,would you have bought them at 66yoa,are they necessary for a good days fishing,nah,don't think so,when your earning and topping up the bank balance regularly it isn't an issue,I can afford to buy one,no question,can I warrant it to my missus,no not really,as she isn't running out there spending £350 on anything without at least a comment to me about it(she doesn't spend willy nilly anyway)....

sam vimes

Reaction score
But Steve,would you have bought them at 66yoa,are they necessary for a good days fishing,nah,don't think so,when your earning and topping up the bank balance regularly it isn't an issue,I can afford to buy one,no question,can I warrant it to my missus,no not really,as she isn't running out there spending £350 on anything without at least a comment to me about it(she doesn't spend willy nilly anyway)....

I got two Hardy Conquests for less than £350. I doubt I'd have paid full price for them, though they were always better than the slating they got when freely available and current.. I have a few others that I've paid significantly less than retail for. In all, I suspect that I've probably got five pins that are now worth more used than I originally paid for them.

Aknib

Reaction score

I see your point Alan and agree with you, hard to justify especially to someone else.

I'm in the same boat as Chris in that I paid nowhere near the retail price and doubt I would have had that been the only choice.

chevin4

Reaction score
I purchased my Youngs reels from a tackle shop in Ringwood which has now sadly closed. The proprietor was a guy named Andy Browne who was very helpful as was is wife Martine they would always offer a fair discount and sometimes have special offers on certain models. I used to call in on the way to Bournemouth where my daughter was studying at University. I may be wrong but I think the shop was called Avon Angling Andy is my type of angler a true allrounder who is equally adapt at trotting a float as well as carp fishing. I enjoyed his weekly article in the Anglers Mail which sadly has ceased publication.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased my Youngs reels from a tackle shop in Ringwood which has now sadly closed. The proprietor was a guy named Andy Browne who was very helpful as was is wife Martine they would always offer a fair discount and sometimes have special offers on certain models. I used to call in on the way to Bournemouth where my daughter was studying at University. I may be wrong but I think the shop was called Avon Angling Andy is my type of angler a true allrounder who is equally adapt at trotting a float as well as carp fishing. I enjoyed his weekly article in the Anglers Mail which sadly has ceased publication.

Similarly I bought both my Young's Purists from Andy and Martine as well as both my Carbotec rods and many others.

Every trip back to the uk I'd make a beeline for Avon Angling if not to buy something in particular then just for long chin wag with the pair of them. Funnily enough in all the years I used their shop i never once ventured the few yards up the same road to the other tackle shop that was there.

Andy, Martine and that shop are sorely missed.

chevin4

Reaction score
Similarly I bought both my Young's Purists from Andy and Martine as well as both my Carbotec rods and many others.

Every trip back to the uk I'd make a beeline for Avon Angling if not to buy something in particular then just for long chin wag with the pair of them. Funnily enough in all the years I used their shop i never once ventured the few yards up the same road to the other tackle shop that was there.

I also used to enjoy going into John Searls shop next door I could spend hours in there looking at the cane rods and centrepins and I would invariably buy a book or two

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I also used to enjoy going into John Searls shop next door I could spend hours in there looking at the cane rods and centrepins and I would invariably buy a book or two

Me too . . . . I spent many hours in the Art of Angling too. John was always up for a chat and some of the items he bought were amazing . . . . Col. Crow's Fly Box (around 3,000 flies) had to be seen to be believed.

Reaction score
i liked John a lot,I met him and his girlfriend at the time in Christchurch,they were staying in the same guesthouse as my friend and I in 1971 I think,Avon angling was a nice shop....

chevin4

Reaction score
i liked John a lot,I met him and his girlfriend at the time in Christchurch,they were staying in the same guesthouse as my friend and I in 1971 I think,Avon angling was a nice shop....
He was a superb artist his artwork for some of Stephen Harpers books is amazing. I particularly like the painting of the perch on The biggest fish of all.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I actually spoke to John Searl on the blower a few days before he died. I had a conversation with him about his artwork and ended the conversation not having decided which ones I wanted. I was going to give him a ring again and order some. I still remember after putting down the blower saying to my mrs that he didn't sound very well, next thing I knew the poor chap had died....very sad!
I was and still am a fan of his artwork. I do have one of his prints up on the wall.
I was surprised that non of his family continued to sell his prints, I would deffo have had some.

steve2

Reaction score

I always used that shop rather than Ringwood Tackle it was seemed so much friendlier, always willing to chat. Also loved looking in the shop next door at the cane rods and reels..

Reaction score
Funny enough when I fished the Somerley estate when it was a Christchurch AC water Andy Browne's shop wasn't there,but once it opened I preferred the layout and the tackle sold,but my mate who lives down there had different findings to me,but that's a personal thing..

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This is the only center pin I bought, won't interest any of you but I just came across it while rummaging through all my junk reel box and forget I had this so here goes..
It was on eBay and it came with a video demonstration which looked good to me for a try out, it has a wide drum, about 5ins I think, ratchet
100_0629.JPG
100_0630.JPG
etc. all the features, drag and such, the handles can pull out and stay in for casting. The bloke showed it free spinning and that looked good enough to me. So I bought it, brand new and came in a box, it is a bit heavy I suppose, probably some composite material but it looked fine to my inexperienced eye.. The trouble was when I used it I just found the line kept getting hung up on something, either the handles or the clip or something. It wouldn't free line exactly but I fish slow moving rivers, it would probably work on a fast river. I just got fed up with it and went back to my fixed spool after about 4 or 5 tries and never bothered with a center pin since. It cost £10; good value I would think but it is what it is. not a lot of money so nothing lost and budget fishing is something I do, I guess you all know that by now! Just pulled it out, it has been there about 10 years and forgot about it. Maybe if I had persevered with it but you know what it's like, once you make your mind up about something it is probably not worth persevering with it and I have never bothered with a center pin since.

Last edited: