Private waters/ clubs.

rayner

Reaction score
After a recommendation from mikench I've settled on a water that is very close to my home. Truthfully there are not that many club waters I've found.
I'm waiting for information on how to join. The water is known to me I used to swim there with mates when I was a young teenager, I remember the girls were very friendly :) it seems we were always falling out over one girl or another.
At that time the only fish were stickle backs now by all accounts it as a decent head of bream roach and tench with a smattering of carp.
The cost f membership is next to nothing, fifteen quid a year with a small fee for the key to access the water.

rayner

Reaction score
News is, I heard yesterday evening that the water belongs to a boat club, they use the venue for water skiing.
The face book page is full of pictures of carp and pike. I'm meeting the bloke who deals with permits Monday afternoon for a look see.

rayner

Reaction score
Bang on Sodgy.
Mike, I've decided against Trenton, the banks aren't to my liking, powerboats used for skiing and kids swimming in the water.
A shame because the stocking was right for me apart from the pike of course.
Chrissh pointed out another water close by that use to be a police run water, it's now changed hands I will have a look there.

john step

Reaction score
During my mega run round the county yesterday I found two canal spots that I had not known about. Both will be ideal for those soggy days when I want somewhere comfortable in the winter. Purpose built anglers pegs and the locals were catching fish. Mike...I shall probably use my POLE :eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Bang on Sodgy.
Mike, I've decided against Trenton, the banks aren't to my liking, powerboats used for skiing and kids swimming in the water.
A shame because the stocking was right for me apart from the pike of course.
Chrissh pointed out another water close by that use to be a police run water, it's now changed hands I will have a look there.
Gary, back in the late eighties I had a ticket for the Dyke, winter only when my pike head was screwed on a lot tighter than it is today.
I used to Finnish work at noon on Thursdays back then and could have the two rods out by 1pm.
I often had the odd one or two on the day but they were pretty small, nothing of any consequence size wise but it was a nice break lare midweek.
It's a lot different now as you'll well know.
I was chatting to a guy last year about it and almost joined for some of the fish he told me about, then I thought of the water skiers!!!

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, Mick, the skiers had a little to do with my dropping the idea.
On their Facebook page, there are pictures which include some of the pike caught. That was to put me off a little.
My main reason were the banks, I would find trouble negotiating them.
The fishery looks sound from a stocking level, some big carp but nowhere near what local commercials hold.
I'm on a bit of self-isolation at the moment for a few weeks to see how the virus will progress. Come November carp will be more scarce I hope.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
You'll need sensor Gary to catch one of those Mastercraft boats. ;)

I miss read your post Mike.
I read it as senses not sensor sorry. Sensor is not a line I'll ever use, mind, it perhaps is just the job to handle a speed boat. :LOL: ?

rayner

Reaction score
With the thought of fishing Treeton now defunct I turned my attention to another close by water. This water was pointed out by chrissh.
The name of the venue is Phyllis lake. A single pond of 20 pegs I know it used to belong to South Yorkshire Police, it now belongs to Steve Maguire.
The whole place was revamped when he took over, I heard talk of the state the fishery was in. The pond took a few weeks to drag out all the lost gear that had been pulled in by fish, the banks were also in a mess littered with rubbish.
All tidy and clean now with the work the new owner had done.
Not stuffed with the obligatory carp but as some big fish, also a Sturgeon at 28lb. I have no tackle to cope with any fish of that size never mind an immigrant. Cost of tickets is £6 one rod £8 for two. A twenty peg pond with anglers using two rods would I'm sure not leave too much room.
There are a number of silver fish that would interest me. I've seen a few film clips of the venue, it is very busy for a small pond but that's the way of the beast just of late. Cooler weather I suspect the numbers of anglers to thin out. That may see me there for the silvers.