Progold monofilament

Keith M

Reaction score
Senseless is springy, brown, shiny and very cheap (which is what usually sells it) but at a push it makes a good backing line for far superior lines like Pro Gold. ;):giggle:

Keith

rob48

Reaction score
Senseless is springy, brown, shiny and very cheap (which is what usually sells it) but at a push it makes a good backing line for far superior lines like Pro Gold. ;):giggle:

Keith
Yes, I tried some beacuse it was so cheap a few years back but found that it kept coming off the spool in coils. When using the detritus for backing I had to make sure it was wound on under tension or it would spring out allowing the proper line to bed in under it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Keith, you must be using something else as the sensor I use has none of those traits, other than you getting cheap mixed up with good value ?.

I'd say fools gold is good for aging anglers with failing eyesight or who need specks as it's large diameters make it easy to see ?.

steve2

Reaction score
I have been told that the reason you can't get Progold is that it as been superseded by superior Senor.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have been told that the reason that you can't get Pro-Gold at present is that the makers workforce in Japan have been rolling over laughing when someone mentioned Senseless and will be returning to work when their eyes stop watering.......

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been told that the reason you can't get Progold is that it as been superseded by superior Senor.

I think washing line superseeds fools gold ? it's prolly got a lower diameter for b/s n'all ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I'd say fools gold is good for aging anglers with failing eyesight or who need specks as it's large diameters make it easy to see ?.

But not 'feel' it like you can with wirey Senseless.
Plus Pro Golds unobtrusive colour doesn't stand out as much as Senseless's either.

Anyway I would have to wear my tinted glasses if I used Senseless; to stop being blinded by its shiny surface. :giggle:

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But not 'feel' it like you can with wirey Senseless.
Plus Pro Golds unobtrusive colour doesn't stand out as much as Senseless's either.

Anyway I would have to wear my tinted glasses if I used Senseless; to stop being blinded by its shiny surface. :giggle:

Keith

Beautiful sensor isn't brown, it's actually green and goes invisible once placed under water.
I couldn't whip on my 14's spade end hooks if I used 6lb fools gold due to it's extremly thick diameter, I doubt it would go through the eyes on my eyed hooks also.....narrh, i'll stick to sensor SLM ! ??

rob48

Reaction score
If you wanted 6lb Pro-Gold you'd buy 4lb - us in the know know that.........:cool:. :)
4.4lb wet knot strength breaks at minimum 5.4lb. Stated dia 0.192mm mic'd up at 0.18 on the spool I've got.
The manufacturer of Senile claims 4lb bs has a dia of 0.20, 6lb bs has a dia of 0.24 mm.
By comparison 0.20mm Browning Feeder Mono has a bs of 7.4lb and mics up exactly.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you wanted 6lb Pro-Gold you'd buy 4lb - us in the know know that.........:cool:. :)

6lb sennie breaks at 8lb plus.
If you tied the same b/s to one another and pull, i'm quite confident the fools gold would crack off first.

You know nothing ?

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Yes, I tried some beacuse it was so cheap a few years back but found that it kept coming off the spool in coils. When using the detritus for backing I had to make sure it was wound on under tension or it would spring out allowing the proper line to bed in under it.
I would put this down to not being wound on properly, Did you soak the line first, not just sensor but any line, ?
Give it a soak in warm water prior to putting it on, it works a treat.
I do this will all my line regardless of manufacturer.
SLM ???✊✊?

steve2

Reaction score
Isn’t the reason Progold is not available down to the simple facts of, it’s overrated, not enough people were buying it, it’s been superseded by better products, isn’t that the way the markets work.

It could of course be a maker’s ploy to get people wanting it again and push the price up.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Sensor and hyper sensor
SLM ???✊✊??
s-l400 (1).jpg
61E2sUeMDdL._AC_SX466_.jpg

rob48

Reaction score
I would put this down to not being wound on properly, Did you soak the line first, not just sensor but any line, ?
Give it a soak in warm water prior to putting it on, it works a treat.
I do this will all my line regardless of manufacturer.
SLM ???✊✊?
Well I wouldn't.
I must have loaded hunderds of miles of line on to reels over the years, so I think I've got the hang of it. I've never had trouble with anything else besides maxima.
I've never had to soak any of them in water either.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't.
I must have loaded hunderds of miles of line on to reels over the years, so I think I've got the hang of it. I've never had trouble with anything else besides maxima.

Strange really as I have a friend who won't use gold anymore as he reckons it twists and springs of his fixed spool reels.
I think the thicker/heavier you go with any line you will get more coily, springy problems with it. It seems some people have more of these problems with lines that others don't.

rob48

Reaction score
Strange really as I have a friend who won't use gold anymore as he reckons it twists and springs of his fixed spool reels.
I think the thicker/heavier you go with any line you will get more coily, springy problems with it. It seems some people have more of these problems with lines that others don't.
That's definitely true about heavier lines and we all have our own habits and preferences.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't.
Same here about loading line,
As for soaking it was something I read about and it works for me, As for coiling off it's like tigger said ,the thicker the line the more coils can occur,
I am wondering if size of spool can play a factor in this, and line lay and oscillation of the the reel.
I watched a Daiwa Certate being spooled in the shop, there was one guy behind the counter holding the spool of line, and the other guy about 8 yards away reeling it on.When it was done the line lay was brilliant.One thing I wouldnt buy is a pre spoiled reel. The line is machine wound under tension, then after a while of using the reel it starts to develop line problems,
I load my reels with either the line in a bucket of water, or have someone holding the spool and line between a few pages of argos catalogue, never had problems. Everyone has their own way of doing things,
The original loading under tension post wasnt a dig at you Rob.