Progold monofilament

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Strange really as I have a friend who won't use gold anymore as he reckons it twists and springs of his fixed spool reels.
I think the thicker/heavier you go with any line you will get more coily, springy problems with it. It seems some people have more of these problems with lines that others don't.
GLT146.jpg

???????
SLM ✊✊????

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes but I don't need to go through the 'Soak it first' syndrome with Pro Gold as it's supple enough already and it has less memory than Senseless.

If I need 8lb line I load 6lb Pro Gold (which is more like 8lb line anyway) just like it is with Senseless (or the other Sensor Hype line) but unlike Senseless; Pro Gold users need a lot more from their line than it just being cheap and strong like Senseless is.

We are not going to convince you 'senseless' users, just like you are not going to convince us who use Pro Gold, so it's pointless repeating ourselves.
You think you are right and we know we are right. :giggle:

I can recognise that a lot of 'Senseless' users fish muddy or algae coloured waters were Senseless is probably OK, or who change their lines each time they fish, but Pro Gold users often fish waters where the additional properties like suppleness, abrasion resistance and a less visible colour is a little bit more important to them. ;) :giggle: (y):giggle:

Just one last thing: why do Sensless fanatics always moan and wriggle a lot more than others??? :giggle: (y):giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I often wonder if anglers think too much about what fish can and can't see when it comes to line , it's the same with tackle set ups. Over the the years I have tried just about every colour and make of line and every possible setup and never found much if any difference in catches. I have even used black line that stuck out like a sore thumb and caught uncatchable carp. I remember Richard Walker saying that fish don't carry micrometers or tape measures and are simple creatures.
It is just having confidence in the tackle you use and how you use it rather then what make.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes but I don't need to go through the 'Soak it first' syndrome with Pro Gold as it's supple enough already and it has less memory than Senseless.

If I need 8lb line I load 6lb Pro Gold (which is more like 8lb line anyway) just like it is with Senseless (or the other Sensor Hype line) but unlike Senseless; Pro Gold users need a lot more from their line than it just being cheap and strong like Senseless is.

We are not going to convince you 'senseless' users, just like you are not going to convince us who use Pro Gold, so it's pointless repeating ourselves.
You think you are right and we know we are right.

I can recognise that a lot of 'Senseless' users fish muddy or algae coloured waters were Senseless is probably OK, or who change their lines each time they fish, but Pro Gold users often fish waters where the additional properties like suppleness, abrasion resistance and a less visible colour is a little bit more important to them. ;) :giggle: (y):giggle:

Just one last thing: why do Sensless fanatics always moan and wriggle a lot more than others??? :giggle: (y):giggle:

Keith

I have never soaked my line, I just wind it on my reel, be that a fixed spool or a centrepin reel, or any other....no line twist or coily springy line for me.....maybe I just have superiour reels ?.

6lb sensor breaks at over 8lb and is lower diameter than 6lb fools gold.
It's also very abrasion reaistant, that's actually a major factor for me as I fish propper wild rivers.

I haven't noticed anyone on here who needs more from their line than myself, but I may be mistaken.

I often fish crystal clear water and have no problems with fish shying away from my line.
A very god friend of mine tried fools gold and then stripped it all off his reels and re loaded them with superiour sensor.

I have sensor on some of my fixed spool reels that is over a decadw old, still no need to change it :).

Long live sensor, all hail sensor....SLM ....lol

Last edited:

Reaction score
Bloody hilarious from both sides of the fence,one thing I would say,your 'wild' river,didn't have indigenous barbel in it,like most rivers in the UK,if by wild you mean spate,or over twenty five yards wide,I will have to buy me a pair of blinkers,you fish within a certain range of your home(it used to be much further),or I do now,if you want to fish more difficult waters i'm sure there are plenty out there,come to the Ouse or Ivel and catch one barbel a season,or the Thames where three or four would be reasonable and don't forget the Ouse and Thames did have indigenous barbel in them,though there have been some stockings since otter fest....now where's my bayer perlon...:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bloody hilarious from both sides of the fence,one thing I would say,your 'wild' river,didn't have indigenous barbel in it,like most rivers in the UK,if by wild you mean spate,or over twenty five yards wide,I will have to buy me a pair of blinkers,you fish within a certain range of your home(it used to be much further),or I do now,if you want to fish more difficult waters i'm sure there are plenty out there,come to the Ouse or Ivel and catch one barbel a season,or the Thames where three or four would be reasonable and don't forget the Ouse and Thames did have indigenous barbel in them,though there have been some stockings since otter fest....now where's my bayer perlon...:D

This thread is a good bit of banter :).

My regular river is 25yds wide at it source! lol.
If I had a guest ticket i'd love to come and have a go on one of your streams Alan :). I'm assuming there's no need to use a rod over 12ft long as it will reach the far bank ? ?.

As to which rivers actually held barbel during the prehistoric period I couldn't actually say, those that do say are simply winging it on one theory, there are others that disagree.
Alan, your more than welcome to come and show me how easy it is to catch barbel on my local river....i'll buy you a guest ticket ?

Aknib

Reaction score
Well...

This may come as a bit of a shock but I'm changing my colours and coming down firmly on the side of Senseless, it's a superior line that out performs any of its nearest rivals and pound for pound represents unequalled value for money.

Ps...

I have no motive for saying this, other than in the light of the shortage of the really superior stuff it might just ease the supply issue and we all might be able to get a spool or two ?

Reaction score
Ha,ha,I will get you a weeks ticket on the Ivel,the streams are no wider than 12m,the D.Stour at Christchurch where I fish on holiday is 20m or less,the H.Avon is similar,the Ouse above Bedford is the same,not every river is a Severn,Trent,Wye. I never said your river is easy,but it's easier than the Ouse,Ivel,Thames,just because there aren't the barbel in there anymore sadly,i'm glad to say that the stream i'm fishing is a lot easier than your river and long may it continue....

Reaction score
In the bin with the Sensor I hope !

Sorry....couldn't resist and I have shown remarkable restraint while all this nonsense has been going on.

Your right,it was a joke....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your right,it was a joke....

Hang on, perlon is a good line, and for float fishing blows fools gold out by a country mile.

Alan, you won't know how easy the rivers I fish are unless you come and show me. Bring your waders, you'll need em :).

Reaction score
Hang on, perlon is a good line, and for float fishing blows fools gold out by a country mile.

Alan, you won't know how easy the rivers I fish are unless you come and show me. Bring your waders, you'll need em :).

Perlon was a good line,technology has meant improvements have been made since the eighties.... As for wading,to old and achy to stand in water all day:),but would have loved to fish your river,in fact i've always wanted to long before barbel were heard of up there,but it's a bit of a jaunt,the way you fish it isn't easy and the fishing itself may not be what it was some years back,but just looking at your catch photos tells me that there are a few berties left,I wish I could get a guest ticket for the prolific venue i've been fishing,the club doesn't allow them,but then to see the real numbers of fish you would have to get lucky at the draw at 5am to fish the two flyers,the rest of the venue is good barbel wise but not in the same league,I have just rejoined the club after a twenty year gap because I didn't like the ratrace of it,but now barbel and chub fishing isn't as good locally any more I accept it...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perlon was a good line,technology has meant improvements have been made since the eighties.... As for wading,to old and achy to stand in water all day:),but would have loved to fish your river,in fact i've always wanted to long before barbel were heard of up there,but it's a bit of a jaunt,the way you fish it isn't easy and the fishing itself may not be what it was some years back,but just looking at your catch photos tells me that there are a few berties left,I wish I could get a guest ticket for the prolific venue i've been fishing,the club doesn't allow them,but then to see the real numbers of fish you would have to get lucky at the draw at 5am to fish the two flyers,the rest of the venue is good barbel wise but not in the same league,I have just rejoined the club after a twenty year gap because I didn't like the ratrace of it,but now barbel and chub fishing isn't as good locally any more I accept it...

I know Keith speaks very highly/fondly of the club your in, I think he became a member just after they cut his umbilical cord around 90yrs back ???.

SML ??