Puller kits.

Reaction score
Right,i've looked at the video,first question is on the vid it shows the puller angled towards the tip,is that right,secondly how hard is it to elasticate them,looks a pig...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Right,i've watched the video again this morning from my tv and am unsure about the grinding 'burr' that is used to open the hole,is it supplied in the kit,it doesn't mention it in the parts list,they sell one for £4.99(which is a bloody rip off),im awaiting recourse from my earlier questions before ordering some,I really like the look of them...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Just a tip: if you are going to drill your top kit put something inside like a piece of wood or hosepipe as this will prevent you going right through if you are a bit heavy handed.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Right,i've watched the video again this morning from my tv and am unsure about the grinding 'burr' that is used to open the hole,is it supplied in the kit,it doesn't mention it in the parts list,they sell one for £4.99(which is a bloody rip off),im awaiting recourse from my earlier questions before ordering some,I really like the look of them...
When I’ve drilled mine I’ve used a normal drill bit. Start with a smaller size to make a hole then apply a larger drill bit to widen it. With a bit of care and attention it’s fairly easy, though I have always reinforced the section first.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Right,i've looked at the video,first question is on the vid it shows the puller angled towards the tip,is that right,secondly how hard is it to elasticate them,looks a pig...
Yes the puller will angle toward the tip, this prevents the elastic being at too sharp an angle inside the pole.

Elasticating is easy, you just need a diamond eye threader. Push that through, attach to elastic, pull back through. Dead easy. They cost about £2:50.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There are a couple of ways to elastic side pullers. These are assuming the topkits are take apart, but the 2nd way will work with a telescopic top kit as well.
One.. is to go through side puller with elastic using diamond eyes threader if required, send elastic towards end of section where the number one fits, the number one section does not need to be fitted at this point, Thread elastic up the number one to come out at bushed end, Fit number one to number two, fit preferred connector to elastic at bushed end.
Pull elastic where it comes out of side puller,
remove diamond eyes threader , I then slide a tight fitting rubber buffer bead down the elastic to the side puller on topkit. This is to tension elastic, I then slide on a connector about 1.5" to 2" above this, and tie a knot in the elastic above the connector, The rubber bead is to either have elastic set tightish or soft depending on situation.
The 2nd method is to slide elastic all the way down from bushed end on number one section and down the number two section until it emerges from the bottom of that section, (again use diamond eye threaded if required.) The thread diamond eye threader through side puller but in reverse, the eyed end goes in first, thread it so it emerges from bottom of number two section. Insert elastic into eye on threader and pull back through the side puller, Again fit bead for tensioner and connector above that, as in Part one.
This method is the best way to do a telescopic section.It may seem long winded but only takes a few minutes.
If already elasticated and wish to change elastic , cut end off old elastic making sure what's left does not disappear into sections, superglue and of new elastic to end of old and pull old through kit until all new is inserted, cut ends off and fit beads etc as above in fitting new.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have looked at the vespe side puller, out of curiosity, compared to the Daiwa and MAP, plus those that incorporate a slot instead of a hole, it seems rather bulky, and heavier than those mentioned,

Reaction score
Ive got a few diamond wire elastic threaders,my probem is on my number two sections I have what looks like duplon bungs,with a hole and slot in it,this is going to make it difficult,I reckon i'm going to have to start from the tip,go down the number two and use like a hook to pull it out of the hole without the silicon bush and maybe the plastic bit the bush pushes into,worth doing because elasticating top kits is always slightly fiddly...

To G.Eagle,on the video his white bush was angled back on itself towards the tip,I would have thought less friction would be the other way,I cant do diagrams online,so actually watching the match fishing video is the only way to see...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Ive got a few diamond wire elastic threaders,my probem is on my number two sections I have what looks like duplon bungs,with a hole and slot in it,this is going to make it difficult,I reckon i'm going to have to start from the tip,go down the number two and use like a hook to pull it out of the hole without the silicon bush and maybe the plastic bit the bush pushes into,worth doing because elasticating top kits is always slightly fiddly...

To G.Eagle,on the video his white bush was angled back on itself towards the tip,I would have thought less friction would be the other way,I cant do diagrams online,so actually watching the match fishing video is the only way to see...
Whitty, Yes go from tip downwards until elastic comes out of bottom of number two.
Then push diamond eye threader reversed , eye goes in first, through puller hole/slot, until eye comes out of bottom of number two. Put elastic in eyed end and pull the threader back up through hole/slot in number two section. Make sure tip end of elastic is fastened to connector of choice, remove elastic from threader and either knot it when tensioned or use bead method I use. .
No need to remove any parts of side puller,
Takes about 5 minutes to thread and pull through and tension.
What make of pole is it, ?

rayner

Reaction score
Drilling is really grinding with a Dremmel type tool, one of the size you need is included in the kit. I have elastic aligners at the top of my No2 section it's best for me to remove the aligner to get the elastic through that replace than down to the bush.
So tie on the connector, down from the tip to the aligner in the top of the No2, remove the aligner through No2 down to the side bush, replace the aligner fasten to a bead, job done
My description sounds a little complicated but it is simple, this would work with any puller system.

Keith M

Reaction score
Bet you didnt pull much, it's a Vespa Scooter ??
Mine was Lambretta scooter when sunny, my dads new car when raining,
Pair of Adidas Samba or mamba trainers ,Ben Sherman shirt, either Levi's or Lee Jeans , or Levi stay press trousers.
Aftershave was Brut,

My Vesper was a Vesper Sportique with chrome finish, lots of lights on the front and a tigers tail on the ariel. I did have a lambretta later but it wasn't quite as flashy looking :giggle:

You were right about the shirt being a Ben Sherman though (My memory isn't as good as it used to be) :giggle:

Keith

Reaction score
The pole is an 8.5m Drennan margin pole Mark,I rarely fish with my 'better' pole,mainly as I tend to only fish for quality fish in the margins on the pole,preferring rod and line these days...

Reaction score
I've ordered a couple,plus the grinding burr,job done....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The pole is an 8.5m Drennan margin pole Mark,I rarely fish with my 'better' pole,mainly as I tend to only fish for quality fish in the margins on the pole,preferring rod and line these days...
I nearly bought the Acolyte margin a few months ago, settled for the new matrix margin,
2 things put me off the acolyte, one was matrix had extra topkit the other was Drennans puller system set up.
Both were similar price,.,not much difference in weight to me but matrix just felt better as well.

Reaction score
To be honest,the pole I have is not mega light at 8.5m(its ok though),but I dont tend to use it over 6m and rarely at that,i'm using it using just the top kits length for crucians,roach,tench etc,I quite like the pole,it has three top kits,a cupping kit and a half length fighting section,ive had some pretty good fish on it....
a guy fishing up from me last week was using the acolyte whip,blimey it was thin at the butt....

bracket

Reaction score
I had an old MAP pole that I gave away to the young lad next door, I couldn't justify getting the top kits wrapped I used some very old Sensas pole No4s cut a couple of two inch sections from them to strengthen the MAP top kits for side pullers.
A similar way to how the Vespe kits work.
Rayner. I did the very same. I fitted a Vespe side puller to daiwa pole power top two. The sleeve supplied is a dead fit for daiwa poles. It worked a treat. So pleased with the result I used some old carbon section to reinforce all five top kits of a 16m maver pole, then drilled them 6mm and fitted the Vespe insert. One of the best thing I have done. Pete.