Puller kits.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
To be honest,the pole I have is not mega light at 8.5m(its ok though),but I dont tend to use it over 6m and rarely at that,i'm using it using just the top kits length for crucians,roach,tench etc,I quite like the pole,it has three top kits,a cupping kit and a half length fighting section,ive had some pretty good fish on it....
a guy fishing up from me last week was using the acolyte whip,blimey it was thin at the butt....
A friend of mine who used to fish for England both World and Home Championships is a Drennan consultant, he did a video on the Acolyte margin pole . He caught some big lumps on it, The video is on Drennan website,
Another friend again ex international, ( shows what fishing company I keep ) ?got the acolyte whip when it first came out, he reckons its brilliant, I think he elasticated a spare topkit to use as short pole as well.

rayner

Reaction score
My Browning kits are fitted with PI roller pullers that the shop did for free. the Vespe doesn't need any special bushes to make the elastic run smooth as it's tilted toward the pole tip. I like that idea.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I like the MAP set up which is like half a U bend. I think it's a 6mm hole to fit,
I was tempted to replace my Daiwa ones for these. The Daiwa is just a bush in the side of the topkit.
The new interlastic topkits seem to be slotted instead of a bushed hole.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I like the MAP set up which is like half a U bend. I think it's a 6mm hole to fit,
I was tempted to replace my Daiwa ones for these. The Daiwa is just a bush in the side of the topkit.
The new interlastic topkits seem to be slotted instead of a bushed hole.
I have the MAP kits in my top kits. Work great.

bleak

Reaction score
As I would be described troglodyte in angling terms : could one of you please describe to me what a 'side puller' is and it's function.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
As I would be described troglodyte in angling terms : could one of you please describe to me what a 'side puller' is and it's function.
A side puller is when the elastic comes out of the side of a reinforced wrap of carbon on the topkit of a pole via a bushed hole or a slot that can have a small roller in it to aid smoothness of pulling on the elastic to tension it when playing a large fish. It means you can fish lighter elastics if you prefer.

bleak

Reaction score
A side puller is when the elastic comes out of the side of a reinforced wrap of carbon on the topkit of a pole via a bushed hole or a slot that can have a small roller in it to aid smoothness of pulling on the elastic to tension it when playing a large fish. It means you can fish lighter elastics if you prefer.
I think I get that. So a bit like playing a trout on a fly rod . Line in one hand and rod in the other?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I think I get that. So a bit like playing a trout on a fly rod . Line in one hand and rod in the other?
In a way yes, you strip the line to play the fish, pole anglers can pull elastic from topkits,
Not all topkits have this facility, even though 90% of mine have on poles I own more often than not I will just let the elastic do the job instead of using puller system,

Reaction score
Well as a company Vespe are a pile of poo,no instructions,even though its a kit,no beads,did the job on one kit in minutes,if I didn't have to hunt high and low for my sea fishing beads...

Reaction score
Right,I used the top kit I'd rigged up yesterday and found the set up much more powerful,even though I used the same elastic,seems odd,though I may have tensioned it too tight,though it seemed ok...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Right,I used the top kit I'd rigged up yesterday and found the set up much more powerful,even though I used the same elastic,seems odd,though I may have tensioned it too tight,though it seemed ok...
That's why I use a bead below puller bead and leave a little elastic loose, I can set tension how I want during a session, does not compromise use of puller system.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Another friend again ex international, ( shows what fishing company I keep ) ?got the acolyte whip when it first came out, he reckons its brilliant, I think he elasticated a spare topkit to use as short pole as well.

Mark you told me you could keep a secret. :rolleyes: I'm international , have pulled in my time and I now have a box so may qualify.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
The side puller is further up the top kit, usually around a foot. A foot shorter elastic would feel slightly stronger. Shouldn’t be a massive difference but may have had an effect?

Reaction score
It did,but probably made it too tight,lesson learn,new toys need to be understood,I already have different plans for the second kit,need some beads though...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Do what I do ,leave a small amount coming from side of topkit, put a buffer bead on then the puller bead tie knot in elastic and pull into puller bead, the buffer bead acts as a tensioner, slide down to topkit to have elastic set stiff , slide up towards puller bead to set soft,
The elastic can still be pulled from topkit with this set up if needed to play a fish .

Reaction score
I've fitted the other kit on another top two,re-elasticated both kits,got puller beads,easy peasy,got a 12-14 on one and an 18-20 on the other,matrix slix....

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely go as heavy as you with my elastics, for margin fishing I've just bought some Nu Fish Zipp hybrid 10 to 12. Only a fiver so not much to pay for a trial to see if it's the same quality as Slix.

Reaction score
I must be honest,for the fishing I do,I like to be able to swing 4/6oz roach without trying to catch them by my ankles,I will see if these elastics suit my fishing,if not I might buy another vespe puller kit for my other top kit and put a lighter elastic in,found it dead easy this time,even purloined one of my missus crochet hooks to catch the elastic through the hole,didn't take two minutes....

rayner

Reaction score
Truthfully I net every single fish regardless of how tiny they may be. It was a bit of a pain at first, the more I've done over the years I've gotten so used to it now it's easy for me. When whip fishing especially with punch I can get fish as tiny as 20 to the pound, it seems when these are in the swim it's impossible to feed them off, in my condition moving is a no-no. One thing is that when small fish or present it's usually a bite within seconds. When it's cold I don't mind catching them, the clicker moves on a right pace. The numbers of blade roach can reach hundreds. A shame bigger specimens aren't so obliging to me.

Reaction score
They aren't obliging to me often enough,but usually when fishing the pole i'm fishing for quality fish,so crucians,tench are what i'm fishing for,not four ounce roach,though gratefully accepted,not my target...