Putting Line Through Its Paces

Reaction score
I must say,actually testing a line is something I do not do,if I like the look of a line I will give it a go,if it ticks my boxes i'm happy,if one thing isnt as i'd like I will use it,but continue looking for Nirvanna...

peytr

Reaction score
Ain't we all :)? I started testing the light hooklength nylon when I did some winter competition and used down to 6/00. The mainline I never test, but I'll do a comparison now once I get the Sensor. The discusion made me discover I use a much lower BS main line than I thought.

I'm not in UK but just on the other side (near Rotterdam) so shipping is much more costly. Unless I'm ordering in China :sneaky:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Ain't we all :)? I started testing the light hooklength nylon when I did some winter competition and used down to 6/00. The mainline I never test, but I'll do a comparison now once I get the Sensor. The discusion made me discover I use a much lower BS main line than I thought.

I'm not in UK but just on the other side (near Rotterdam) so shipping is much more costly. Unless I'm ordering in China :sneaky:
If they do Cormoran tackle where you are, line, rods etc, go for that, It is Daiwa tackle tackle under that name in Europe.

peytr

Reaction score
OK, I'll take a look at that.

For 20/00 I have 3km to my disposal now because the Daiwa sensor arrived today. I didn't do any tests but checked the diameter and it's excellent @ just under 20/00, which it says on the tin. I think that is a first for me. Color is dark brown which is OK. Feels a bit stiff but I think the Maxima is in the same league. In fact the maxima has the same color and looks very similar :)

I'll do a comparison and test against the Maxima when I find the time and post here.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Glad you like the look of your sensor.
I used it today whilst trotting, but in 6lb, and it was same as always, very good, and I honestly can't think of a better line for me.
I don't know if you have bayer perlon in your neck of the woods but that is another favourite of mine and a close second to sensor. Downside is it doesn't come in bulk spools and so isn't cheap.

mikench

Reaction score

Angling Direct have a french website so shippingvshould be cheaper.

peytr

Reaction score
Yes, I think it is cheaper but Angling direct didn't have the 20/00 at the time of ordering. I'll keep an eye on their website if I need another diameter.

Just did a test on the Sensor 20/00 and need to repair the scales now.
Results where excellent: the knotted line failed at just over two kilo against 1,8 kg printed on the spool. So yes, the line performes better than the manufacturer claims, both in diameter (a hair less) and breaking strength (a bit more). This does not happen to often, if at all with other makes.

As said the scale needs repair, so no more testing for now. I had more than two kilo's hanging over the scales when the line failed. I'm only used to testing very light hooklength nylon and didn't consider the fact this higher weight would also come down ?.

I'll take the line with me coming saterday and do a (very subjective) field test (if I don't switch to the pole).

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
Scales repaired and did the same test with the Maxima. Now the sample of Maxima has been used quite a bit, but has not been abused. So not scientific but interesting all the same. The diameter is close but 0.08mm over the spec the manufacturer tells us. Breaking strength should be 2.4 kg. It failed (knotted) at just over 2.1 kg. That's OK - on spec and not realy surpassing them, like the Sensor did. Again I'd like to emphasise that this line has seen a number of venues from the wet side.

There's one thing: I prefer the color of Maxima. Utterly of no importance to anyone but still:geek:.

In summary: There is some variation in diameter and breaking strength, but on these aspects the lines live up to the expectations we have, based on what the manufacturers promise.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After using sensor for many years as my go to line, I already knew it was excellent line, good to see your findings though peytr.
I have used maxima also but when in use I found sensor to be way ahead and so cease to use maxima.

Reaction score
I think the colour of maxima is there to attract anglers,you know generally green,I use a line called awa shima reflector line for barbel(if you tested it it would not match the bumph on the spool,i.e. the breaking strain states 18.6lbs,it breaks at around 12.5lbs,the diameter is understated slightly,matters not to me,abrasion resistance is excellent and its 100% reliable),it is very similar in colour to maxima,even changes similarly in different light,do I believe it makes a massive difference,no,but hooklength lines,that's a different matter entirely...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the colour of maxima is there to attract anglers,you know generally green,I use a line called awa shima reflector line for barbel(if you tested it it would not match the bumph on the spool,i.e. the breaking strain states 18.6lbs,it breaks at around 12.5lbs,the diameter is understated slightly,matters not to me,abrasion resistance is excellent and its 100% reliable),it is very similar in colour to maxima,even changes similarly in different light,do I believe it makes a massive difference,no,but hooklength lines,that's a different matter entirely...

Sensor must be a god hooklength line also then Alan as I use it straight through to the hook.
Regarding lines changing colour, or appearing to under different lights, I think they all will.
Shine a light on a spool of sensor and it appears green!

Reaction score
Personally I think clear or translucent green are best in clear water,some species of fish however are more prone to needing hooklinks like this,roach,dace,crucians and sometimes chub,at other times you catch on anything...

peytr

Reaction score
Shine a light on a spool of sensor and it appears green!
That's what struck me this morning. We were at the bank before sunrise and I had my headlamp on when I saw it. Cannot think why this would be of any use but it nicely compensates for the lesser color :cool:

Field tested the line and I do like it although I'm under the impression it stretches quite a bit, fishing @ 45m. So there's another thing to test :).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's what struck me this morning. We were at the bank before sunrise and I had my headlamp on when I saw it. Cannot think why this would be of any use but it nicely compensates for the lesser color :cool:

Field tested the line and I do like it although I'm under the impression it stretches quite a bit, fishing @ 45m. So there's another thing to test :).

It does have some stretch but in all honesty I don't find it very noticeable. I often trott my float a hundred yards and have no problems hitting and hooking fish. If you think about it, the stretch will stop you cracking of as easily, and if you do use a lower breaking strain hooklength it should help to cushion the hooklength on the strke also.

rayner

Reaction score
The only thing I always go for is a clear hooklength, most reel lines are brown or green I don't think reel line colours matter so much.
I know some companies have tried grey and even blue some have gone for brighter colours but they are predominantly sea lines.
I see no reason to change my reel lines they have always been Maxima for years, for me, it's a constant. Maxima's strength comes from its stretch which I like.

Richox12

Reaction score
Scales repaired and did the same test with the Maxima. Now the sample of Maxima has been used quite a bit, but has not been abused. So not scientific but interesting all the same. The diameter is close but 0.08mm over the spec the manufacturer tells us.

??? What was it supposed to be ? 0.20mm (20/100) ? If so then being 0.08mm OVER diameter is absolutely massive.

peytr

Reaction score
You're right, of course! I measured 0,008 over spec diameter and made a typo; sorry for that and thanks for noticing!

Reaction score
Well next week I will be mainly fishing 10lb sensor(Harry Enfield talk),catching nothing most likely and if the river is up using double 15mm smelly squid boilies,blanking with aplomb...