Quiver tips

mikench

Reaction score
All feeder rods come with at least 3 tips sometimes more. I usually opt for the lightest needed to suit the conditions, weight of feeder and length of cast. This would be from 0.5oz up to 1 oz. if I was fishing a river with a large feeder and the river had some flow I would opt for a rod to cope or one with say a 4oz tip. What would be the circumstance , particularly on a Stillwater when you would use say a 1,2 or 3oz tip other than for slight variances in wind speed distance and weight of feeder.

I often feel I’m using a different weight tip just to try it.

rayner

Reaction score
I always opt for the lightest feeders and tips possible. I have had 4oz and 3oz tips but gave them away because I no longer fish flowing water. I have never felt the need to use a two-ounce tip up to now.
For skimmers/ bream I always use my 1oz tips on all my feeder rods, the only things to affect my tips are wind and tow. I don't think I have ever had a tip pulled round so much that bites are hard to see.
With bomb for carp, I fish the same tip but tighten the tip as far as I can to promote a bolt effect. the slightest pull on the bomb causes it to spring back hooking the fish. I never use a bomb more than a 1/2 ounce in weight. I typically fish a method the same way, tightening the tip to the feeder so a heavy tip is not needed.
I'm aware some go altogether opposite to my thinking, I have always fished lighter than is probably needed, confidence is key to all my fishing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As a general rule, I'd always opt for the lightest tip possible given the water/weather conditions. However, that might be modified somewhat by the method being used and the species being targeted. I'd certainly use a far heavier tip for method feeder fishing than just the conditions might dictate. You aren't usually looking for delicate plucks when method feeder fishing. I'd also choose a heavier tip if upstream legering, or fishing a method where drop back bites are prevalent, on a river. The heavier tip tends to spring back better and helps self hooking more than a lighter tip.

To add to the confusion, there are also fast and slow taper tips and there are also glass and carbon fibre construction tips to consider.

It's worth noting that not all quiver tip rods come with three push in tips (and one carrier section). Some have just two push in tips and others just one spliced in permanently. There are a tiny number of rods that have separate full length tip sections and the odd Tricast rod that have push over quivers.

Reaction score
Mike,normally the best conditions on stillwaters is when it is blowing a hoolie and towing,most times the tow goes the opposite direction to the wind(but not always),to get the best in a tow you need to sit facing the way the tow is going,a two ounce tip would be my starting point(and ending most times),you must feed a bow to reduce the bend on the tip,in fact if I were fishing for quality fish I would not go below 1.5ozs,this has nothing to do with casting weights or distance and all to do with bite detection...
Just to add,glass rules for me on stillwater,and on rivers unless i'm fishing for drop backs....

Reaction score
If you use the 'simple' option it never works as well,if you try what I said on a dry windy day,you will see the how much better the strength of bite is,after you've done it a while turn round and watch your 2oz tip bend double and the bites become feeble,unless you are fishing for soppy carp that is,they want to pull you in as well as your tip....

chrissh

Reaction score
Rough guide tip rating

0.5oz - 1oz. Stillwaters Silverfish

1.5oz - 2oz. Stillwaters and slow-moving rivers Small carp, tench bream and silverfish

2.5oz - 3oz. Stillwaters and moderately flowing rivers Carp, tench and chub

4oz – plus. Distance fishing, the Method feeder and fast-flowing rivers Double-figure carp and barbel

CARBON tips are stiffer and generally have a higher strength rating (2oz to 6oz).

GLASS tips have a soft, progressive action and are produced in lower test curves (0.5oz to 2.5oz)

The heavier the feeder/leger weight, the stronger the tip should be. If you use too light a tip it will either not cast the weight properly or, worse still break on the cast!

silvers

Reaction score
Mike,normally the best conditions on stillwaters is when it is blowing a hoolie and towing,most times the tow goes the opposite direction to the wind(but not always),to get the best in a tow you need to sit facing the way the tow is going,a two ounce tip would be my starting point(and ending most times),you must feed a bow to reduce the bend on the tip,in fact if I were fishing for quality fish I would not go below 1.5ozs,this has nothing to do with casting weights or distance and all to do with bite detection...
Just to add,glass rules for me on stillwater,and on rivers unless i'm fishing for drop backs....
agree with this.

again generalisations ... but further
a) larger bodies of water (eg. An exposed 20 acre gravel pit) will have more tow than a small half acre pool that is surrounded by trees
b) the further out you need to fish, the heavier a tip will be needed (combination of increased tow effect on the line and the need for heavier tip to avoid snapping as mentioned by Chrissh above)

For an extreme example ... see Bud fishing at Staunton Harold

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Depends... if am fishing for bites I'll go for glass tips, dependant on flow/tow/weight of feeder, maybe use carbon tips if its potentially high water on a river/drop back fishing.....

... if I am expecting the fish to hook itself, I don't think it matters so long as the tip doesn't struggle with the weight of the feeder.

bullet

Reaction score
For the small amount of tip fishing I do for River Chub, I just stick with the 3 oz glass that came with my Drennan Avon, I can't be bothered to keep changing it as it works fine as far as I'm concerned.
For a long time I just used the Avon top and still caught plenty,.

rob48

Reaction score
As stated above "stillwaters" often fish best with a wind and consequent tow on them. On my local large gravel pit I generally use the 1.5 or 2oz carbon tip on my Sphere medium feeder rod. I've also found carbon tips work well for roach fishing on straight lead/bomb type set up with 0.75 or 1oz best, on stillwater or rivers, dependent on current strength.

Philip

Reaction score
I'd love to say I am constantly swapping tips after careful deliberation of the conditions, always opting for the lightest the situation will allow but the reality is nowadays I usually leave rods made up & fish very short sessions so I cant remember the last time I actually changed a tip. If I am going somewhere for example with a much stronger current where I know it will struggle I'll probably just pick a stronger made up rod.

I'll add as well that I have also gone from being a very regular tip user to touch ledgering almost all the time now with a standard topped rod.

Reaction score
Ah but Philip, you are an angler who has a pile of made up rods in the corner,so tip changing is more of a chore,whether it's for the better or worse,in my case I turn up and set up on the bank when feeder fishing,so picking a tip is a bit like choosing the right float,but with less options available.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes your right Alan if your setting up on the bank then like you say its going to be like choosing a float.

Mind you I have been there myself …even back in the day of those awful little quivers that screwed into the tip rod ring. I used to always carry different sizes with me and agonize over whether I should be using the 2oz or 2.5oz tip today …then watch the rod whack round 3 foot as a Barbel took it.

I don’t worry so much about it nowadays :)

Reaction score
Bit different eh,imo a quivertip is an unnecessary addition for barbel....

Philip

Reaction score
I would agree....nowadays alot of the time I dont even use one for Roach

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Because most of my rods stay setup in I only ever use one of the spare quiver tips that come with the rods. I find a 1oz tip does it for me on the water I fish. With barbel and carp no tip just watch the rod move.

ian g

Reaction score
I bought a Drennan ledger master off ebay the other week . I was out yesterday with my mate at an estate lake in Wales swing tipping , great fun . We fished for small tench and they don'f alf pull so any tip would do