Record river levels?

Aknib

Reaction score
With the river level already very high around here and an amber warning for twenty four hours of heavy rain this is the Trent at the station I regularly use...

rl.JPG

I reckon, with what goes in over the next day or two along with what comes down from Staffordshire a couple of days later we could be seeing record river levels by the weekend or certainly very close to record levels with flooding imminent.

Pity it's not local enough for me to travel to under the current restrictions, it's got hedgerow Chub written all over it.

What's the situation on your river?

john step

Reaction score
The similar chart for the Witham at Fiskerton shows the line well ABOVE the flooding orange one. That poor farmer who had his land flooded last year and his house was an island was on the box last night hoping for the best.
They still aim to build houses on flood plains!

Reaction score
waveney is in flood,been that way for some time .watched three swans doing about 20 mph going past me with a look of how are we going to stop! can’t remember seeing it this high for ages.side dykes’ are full of branches and debris so not easy to fish these either.all l wanted was the winter and rain to make the dog walkers and canoeists to bugger of but they seem to have taken the fish with them

sam vimes

Reaction score
My local hasn't had much less than an extra foot of water in it for well over a month. It means that whilst I'm not getting out fishing, I'm not actually that bothered.

Reaction score
To be fair I haven't even looked on the site,no real point,it does what it does,another close season extended by water levels,covid,govt restrictions,I don't look during the close season,you guys???

theartist

Reaction score
To be fair I haven't even looked on the site,no real point,it does what it does,another close season extended by water levels,covid,govt restrictions,I don't look during the close season,you guys???
Cmon, Alan you know most our rivers down here will be fishable within a couple of days of dry weather, no matter how they rage right now. Good to see as long as there's no bad shit getting washed in

Reaction score
But you can't fish em,so do you look??? I don't,the Ouse would be up for at least a week and if I was allowed to travel,that is where I would be,less anglers there,so less covid...Sorry Rob,but i'm pissed off with being gaoled,i'd do less time for thumping a copper...

seth49

Reaction score
The ribble peaked at 4 metres at 1 am this morning, but the way it’s raining now, I wouldn’t be surprised if it exceeds that later, just checked my rain gauge and we’ve had 1 1/2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, which is quite a lot, but not exceptional for around here.
07A4FB01-BB43-4F5B-97FD-CB37347B5BAF.png

Reaction score
An awful lot of water Seth,i'm quite surprised we haven't seen massive flooding on the Somerset levels again,obviously they must be missing the bulk of the rain,it seems to be a very wet autumn and winter so far to me...

seth49

Reaction score
It seems that way, let’s hope the pendulum swings the other way, and we get a decent summer after all this rain.

Aknib

Reaction score
Every picture tells a story...

rl1.JPG

I reckon we're a tad of a foot off the highest recorded level now but the rise should start slowing thankfully, a foot doesn't sound that much in the grand scheme of things but knowing the thousands of acres of flooded farmland it takes to get to the current level and the sheer volume of water it would take to rise a further foot I'm hopeful it won't top the record.

Reaction score
Lets hope so mate,seeing the miles of flooded fields on the news is horrible,bad enough with the virus without people being forced out of their homes... ?

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Seth49.... I love a nice old Barometer! got a couple of cheap charity shop ones a couple of years back, the better one, british made SB Shortland Smith one in a nice wooden surround was the huge sum of £3 and is always within a milibar or 2 of the reading on BBC weather website forecast. it's currently showing 995mb.

Had a wander along the Trent this morning from Long Eaton to Sawley marina area and back and the water level has clearly dropped at least a foot, going by the debris in hedge bottoms, still a scary rate of water flowing by. a few lads had rods set up where a canal enters the Trent, presumably hoping there were fish keeping out of the main flow in the more sheltered water. hope they got one or two.