Reel recommendations

toadiscoil

Reaction score
Hi there,

Started fishing with a Quantum Optix combo from a store. After an hour and a half of freshwater fishing it starts getting notchy as if I had sand inside of it. The rod I think is not bad at all but the reel seems to show how much little money I paid for it.

I ordered a Daiwa Fuego LT 3000 and a 13 Fishing spinning rod as my new setup. I plan to keep the Optix rod and install a new reel on it. Before I decided on the Daiwa Fuego I was going to order a Penn Fierce III. I plan to still get that to replace the Quantum reel and have two setups, one for live bait for small fish and one with plastic worms/lures for bass and other similar size fish. I was toying with the idea of getting a Daiwa Regal 1000 to replace the rod of my son's Shakespeare combo I bought at Walmart, but only if he decides he wants to continue fishing. He got me into it but now he started playing tennis, but now I am all in on fishing, I really liked it.

So, what are your thoughts on my choice of reels? I am targeting mid-range reels of course.

Cheers,

Javier

mikench

Reaction score
You do realise that you are on a UK fishing forum and the vast majority of rods, reels and other tackle sold in the US have no relevance here and are not available. The reverse scenario also applies. We do not have Walmart and thus nobody will be able to advise on the choice of reels or anything else. The majority of members here only course fish i.e. Pursue freshwater fish on a strictly catch and return basis. A few may sea fish but not many. Even the fish we catch in the sea or rivers and lakes bear little comparison to your bass, walleye , seaperch, tarpon etc.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Your not alone, There are other posts on here that have virtually no relevance to the fishing we do in the UK (Posts by Scuba Chris for example) .

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Contact Scuba Chris from his posts here or from his YouTube channel. He is based in Hawaï so should know of forums in the US.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Going to your reel choice of the Daiwa Fuego, they are a decent reel, any reel by Shimano or Daiwa in 3000 or 4000 size will suffice, I can't comment on Penn reels having never used one, the same with your choice of rod,, I have a Daiwa Regal somewhere, had it a number of years and have no problems with it,
Your Walmart store is called Asda in the UK and does not sell fishing tackle.

mikench

Reaction score
I forgot to add that i have a Penn Battle 11 in 4000 which I use for sea fishing in France. Its a robust and reliable reel:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peytr

Reaction score
I have two Penn battle II 2000 reels. I choose reels a size smaller than most of us.

I use these for feeder fishing (fast winding) and spinning (slow winding but bigger fish). I am very happy with these and this says something because these are replacing legendary reels like the ABU cardinal (very smooth winding but soso drag system) and Shakespeare Ambidex (very smooth and excellent drag system). The Penn reels are in this league if you ask me and have a quiet instant anti return as a bonus.

toadiscoil

Reaction score
Thanks! Rod and reel arrived and they look awesome. Feel of the overall setup is great. Hopefully can fish with it this weekend.