Returning Fisherman

Reemul

Reaction score
Hi All, name is Iain 49 live in Dorset. Used to fish in the week while working in retail and having to work weekends. Anyways changed careers and ended up having the weekends off and having kids as well so stopped going.

Big fan of Carp and Tench fishing on local smaller lakes mainly with a float on 1 and a ledger on the other.

Anyways a few years ago my work gave some vouchers and there was limited stuff to buy so it went on fishing gear so I have some good stuff which in lock down I have topped up including enough for myself and my 2 sons.

My eldest is now 13, mad golfer and pretty good and I also play as does my younger one who is 10. Anyways last year he started hassling me to go fishing and really wanted to try it out and it never happened and I promised him it would this year. He has been you tubing through lock down re watching fishing stuff is very very keen.

Anyways we are booked to go on Saturday to a small quiet lake with some big swims so we can sit together and enjoy a day out of the house.

Really excited to be A going fishing and B with the eldest and I have cleared it for the youngest to join us towards the end of the day if it is going ok as he is a little cat on hot bricks but he also adamant he wants to come over.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Well it looks like it will be a very special moment. Enjoy it! Perhaps you will have to be at the lake every weekend from now on ;)

Paste paul

Reaction score
Awesome.......
I hope you have a great time and catch plenty!
Take plenty of food and with the sun shining life’s good ......
The best way to keep the lads interested is to make sure they catch a few it sticks with them for life........
Enjoy

d.owens

Reaction score
Enjoy! Sounds great, I've only got one out of all my kids who loves fishing, it's amazing how the hours fly by when together by the water.

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to FM, hope you will let us know how you get on in the ‘How did you get on?’ thread. :thumbs:

Keith

mikench

Reaction score
Hi Iain and welcome to the forum. Days fishing with kids , was short lived in my case, but enjoyable nonetheless. Make the most of it and enjoy your fishing. If you hear the blues and see an angler with a slide guitar in one hand and a rod in the other, it could be our Bracket:rolleyes:

David Gane

Reaction score
I was chuckling with a friend a couple of days ago about the joys of taking inexperienced friends or relatives fishing for the first time. A bit of advice for you! Do not expect or plan to get much fishing done for yourself. Expect to act as a gillie, be prepared for lots of untangling, re-tying, extracting tackle from trees, casting to the right spot, putting bait on hooks and (if it goes well) unhooking. Also, be ready for a lot of grumbling about the precious tackle that you've loaned them! Most of all, be prepared for the comment on the way home that goes something like this:

"I may be a beginner, but I caught more than you!".

Always remember, if you're lucky they'll get the bug and you can get your own back later :-D

Last edited:

Reemul

Reaction score
I was chuckling with a friend a couple of days ago about the joys of taking inexperienced friends or relatives fishing for the first time. A bit of advice for you! Do not expect or plan to get much fishing done for yourself. Expect to act as a gillie, be prepared for lots of untangling, re-tying, extracting tackle from trees, casting to the right spot, putting bait on hooks and (if it goes well) unhooking. Most of all, be prepared for the comment on the way home that goes something like this:

"I may be a beginner, but I caught more than you!".

If you're lucky, they'll get the bug and you can get your own back later :-D

Yep, I had 5 on my swim, 3 caught by my son while i was sorting something out in his swim including a couple of 10lb carp and I let my youngest bring in another 10lb carp on my rod so he could say he had a fish and also to feel what it's like to play a nice carp. Was a great day, eldest is now chomping to go and has also pointed out night fishing looks great as the lake had plenty doing it and we should aim to do that this summer as well. Lol