Returning to the bank!

Reaction score
Hi my name's Karl if you didn't already guess and I'm returning to fishing after a good 10-15 year break!

My dad got me into it back when I was a young lad by taking me and my mighty telescopic pole to Burgess Park where I caught a bunch of roach and launched one into orbit by striking with the force of six freight trains (as he adequately put it!) After that we moved to Notts where I did a bit of feeder fishing but nothing major and now I return back to the banks...but not to main feeder like I used to.

I want to try my hand at a bit of predator fishing and so went out and bought a tidy little "backpack setup" as I call it. My rod is a Abu Garcia Black Max with a Silver Max 3 reel since I'm not good with a left handed reel (Like to have my rod in my left hand and reel with the right like I was taught!) and a bag of lures ranging from amazon bought topwater frogs, Savage Gears Suicide Duck and Salvo little bug 3 to a nifty 23g spinner and a bunch of bright shads. Been twice to the Trent ( Netherfield via the Colwick Industrial Park) but sadly not had any luck except for some harsh as hell sun burn and a case of heat stroke (yes I chose the hottest two days in June to go fishing which later I found isn't great for predator fishing apparently!) So I'm here to hopefully pick up some tips, some nice spots around the colwick route of the Trent and to hopefully find some fishing buddies!

mikench

Reaction score
Welcome to FM. I'm not yet a real lure fisherman but others will no doubt advise who are and who know the Trent.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Karl, my only advice is, enjoy FM!

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Karl, welcome to FM and I look forward to reading about your Lure catches in the ‘How did you get on?’ Thread (under the General fishing header).

Lure fishing is not always as easy as it sounds so be prepared to remain fishless a few times until you get it sorted :giggle:
Then you can give some of us a few tips :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Hi Karl and welcome to Fishing Magic. Can't help with lure fishing myself but there's sure to be someone who can, ask away.

Reaction score
Hi Karl,post on the predator section,there are several lure fans on FM,the more you post the more might follow your lead,enjoy...

Reaction score
Thank you for all the welcomes! I've already thrown my first post into predator and look forward to seeing who replies to it. Sadly for the next few weeks my fishing is on hold as I'm moving from the houseshare I'm in now to a better one which also puts me much closer to my preferred waterbody (and a nice carp lake too!) so it all works out for me in the end :) Look forward to showing off some big pike, big zander & possibly fat carps!