Ribble: River Ribble Fishing Reports

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 1st November
Venue:... River Ribble
Time fished:...2pm until 6.30pm
Weather conditions:..Very mild, south westerly, showers.
Water conditions:....0.46 Jumbles Rock
Air temperature:... 18 C
Water Temperature:... not taken
Bait:... Pellet
Method:.. 1 rod ledgered pellet
Results:... 1 barbel around 6-7lb at twilight.

A slow waiting game, but we fished earlier than normal. River looked identical to last weekend, weather was very similar but fish were far fewer and chub had disappeared again, no idea why. If the forecast is correct and things are finally cooling down this may be my last session for a while.

Paul C

Reaction score
Date 23.11.14
Section River Ribble
Time: 15:30 - 18:00
Weather conditions: Dry and bright with temp dropping to 1.5c at the rivers edge
Water conditions: Up about 1.5ft
Bait – pellet & corn
Air temp – dropping to 1.5c
Water temp: 8.5c
Method: Single feeder rod
Results: 1 chub

I went to fish the last bit of light and into dark and see how it went therafter.

The river had a few people on and I ended up walking much further than I had hoped to a peg I have only fished once before, a good few years back.

I had a few small taps early on and one good slam on corn. A chub took my small pellet as it went dark, but there was no feeding spell as it was all quiet after and I called it quits early as I wasn't confident it was going to improve any.

I spoke to a couple of people on the walk down and most had been on since the morning and reported odd fish each, the best being one barbel and two chub so it had been a struggle despite the extra water and it running off. They'd all left by the time I headed back.

Reaction score
hi All,

Done ok on the Ribble this year with Barbel & Roach, not seen any chub at all. Had Berbel up to 9-14 & Roach to 1-14 (2 oz both times)

Caught mainly on 2x6mm pellets glued together on a band wirh pellets in a PVA net.

Tend to fish after 2pm, usually a "golden hour" then it falls off. This hor could be at any time though so be patient waiting for the "3 foot twitch"

God give me grace to catch a fish,
So big that even I,
When speaking of it too my friends,
May never have to lie.

Jacko

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 06/12/14
Time fished:...15:00hrs 23:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Damp & overcast with light breeze, started to rain while packing up. No moon
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.37M.
Air temperature:... 6.5C throughout the session.
Water Temperature:... 6.4C
Bait:... Bread Flake Halibut Pellet & halibut pellet wrapped in cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished mid river – Upstream Rod bread flake then Crust/Cheese Paste. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... One chub 3lb-7oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was the first chance to get back on the river after a short spell in hospital and a few weeks recovery. Everything looked OK and as soon as dusk fell, I started to get one or two good knocks but only managed to net one chub at 17:00hrs. I'd problems with my cheese past being too hard in the cold water I also ran out of bread before dusk. Pellet on its own didn't get any knocks. By the end of the session, I got a wee bit wet and cold with the rain/mist blowing up under my brolly; still I'm back on the river.

greenie62

Reaction score
...... By the end of the session, I got a wee bit wet and cold with the rain/mist blowing up under my brolly; still I'm back on the river.

Glad to see you back John. Keep well and thanks for the reports. Watch out for the slugs!
Tight Lines! :thumbs:

slaphead

Reaction score
Great to see you're back, John. :D

I look forward to seeing many more posts in the future.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 28/12/14
Time fished:...16:00hrs 21:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Bright sunny day clouding over at dusk and clear sky by 20:30hrs. Bright half-moon when sky cleared. No wind.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.68M.
Air temperature:... 4.1C dropping to -2.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.7C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 20M out from bank roughly on outside edge of an eddy – Upstream Rod bread flake then Crust/Cheese Paste. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... Three Chub 5lb-1.5oz; 4lb-13.5oz and 3lb-14.5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… First chance I had to get down to the Ribble after one or two very big flood pulses. The river looked good and I had it all to myself. At dusk, it clouded over a wee bit and between the cloud cover and the very bright moon; I managed three chub to 5lb-1.5oz between dusk and 20:15hrs then the sky cleared and all bites stopped. By 21:00hrs it didn't look like clouding over so I called it a day. Just after dusk two otters swam through my swim and a couple of young swans pestered me for an hour or so. Good short session and a nice walk back through the woods on a very cold but clear night.

BTW Thanks for the kind words lads, everything is looking good so far.

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Date:.. Tuesday 30/12/14
Time fished:...16:00hrs 21:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, clear sky by 19:30hrs. Bright half-moon when sky cleared. No wind
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.57M and steady
Air temperature:... 8.6C dropping to -1.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.8C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 20M out from bank roughly on outside edge of an eddy – Upstream Rod bread flake and liquidized bread in feeder. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with small halibut pellets.
Results:... Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:… This was my last chance of a session in 2014. Again the river looked good, however, the sky cleared by 19:30hrs leaving a very bright moon and although I had started to get knocks into dusk they stopped as soon as the moon came out. Again, it didn't look like clouding over so I packed up at 21:00hrs. Only one otter this time and no swans, and another nice walk back through the woods on a very cold but clear night.

Happy New Year to everyone on FM and tight lines for 2015

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 03/01/15
Time fished:...16:30hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, clear sky by 19:00hrs. Bright full moon when sky cleared. No wind
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.71M and falling
Air temperature:... 7.3C dropping to -2C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 9.9C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 20M out from bank roughly on outside edge of an eddy – Upstream Rod bread flake. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with small halibut pellets.
Results:... Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The conditions looked good up here in the Dales but the cloud cover cleared earlier than I expected and the bites I started to get at dusk stopped as soon as the moon came out. Later it got very cold and misty with a full moon, very, very spooky walking back through the woods.

Date:.. Monday 05/01/15
Time fished:...16:30:00hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, clear sky by 19:00hrs. Bright full moon when sky cleared. No wind.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.55M.
Air temperature:... 10.6C dropping to 7.6C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.1C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished mid river – Upstream Rod bread flake then Crust/Cheese Paste. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... One chub 3lb-12.5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Again, the conditions looked good up here in the Dales but once again, the cloud cover cleared earlier than I expected, however, this time I banked a chub before the moon came out. Once the moon came out, about 17:30hrs, all the bites stopped. I did stay on until 22:00hrs just to prove to myself that bright moonlight is no good on the Ribble for Chub.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 18/01/15
Time fished:...14:00:00hrs 21:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Cloudy with sunny intervals and light breeze, sky clearing after dusk, no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.78M.
Air temperature:... 5.6C dropping to -1C by the end of the session.
Bait:... Bread Flake & Halibut pellet wrapped in cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 15M out – Upstream Rod bread flake and feeder filled with liquidized bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... One chub 3lb-14oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Snow in the Dales but clear on the lower Ribble. This trip was hard work. I'd just two bites at 16:40hrs, within 5 mins of each other, snagged up and lost a feeder on the first and the second produce a 3lb-14oz chub. The temp drop to -1C at dusk and although the river wasn't that high it was still pushing through a bit, 3oz to hold bottom and weed building up on the line after 20 mins or so. I packed in at 21:30hrs. After four hours sitting at -1C with not the slightest movement on the rod tips and I'd had enough.

greenie62

Reaction score
John,
You should ask for a raise bringing us reports in weather like this - Try raising it with the Mods!;):rolleyes:

Good on ya, lad! Hope your journeys were OK - stay safe!
Tight Lines :thumbs:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Tuesday 20/01/15
Time fished:...15:30:00hrs 21:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Weather overcast, No wind and no moon
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.56M.
Air temperature:... 3.8C dropping to -1C by the end of the session.
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 15M out – Upstream Rod bread flake and feeder filled with liquidized bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... Three chub to 4lb-02oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Another cold night on the Ribble with the temperature dropping to -1C, for three chub to 4lb-2oz. It started to snow about 21:30hrs so I packed up before the roads got too bad. 1st 4lb'er of 2015

Date:.. Sunday 25/01/15
Time fished:...14:00:00hrs 22:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast & drizzle, light breeze wind strengthening at dusk then dropping off. Note, a snow melt flood pulse came through at about 18:00hrs
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.76M.
Air temperature:... 10.1C dropping to 7.8C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 7.8C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 15M out – Upstream Rod bread flake and feeder filled with liquidized bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets. (21:00hrs changed to crust after talking to a mate)
Results:... One Barbel 7lb-2oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… It was raining in the Dales but the river was looking good and I was getting bites until a snow melt flood pules came through. However, I did manage a 7lb-2oz barbel on crust, after advice from a mate who had a few chub on crust, but I lost a good chub, also on crust, at my feet when it dived into a snag that I didn't know was there. Hopefully that's the last of the snow, none on the hills now, but on the Tele they were talking about some really bad snow storms in New York that may be coming our way at the back end of this week!!!!

Ho dear !*^% its snowing in the Dales as I type this

slaphead

Reaction score
Thanks again, John.

It's been snowing on this side of the Pennines as well, today.

Much warmer indoors.??

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Saturday 31/01/15
Time fished:...17:00:00hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Clear sky then clouding over a wee bit until 21:30hrs when the sky cleared with a bright full moon. Wind variable from light breeze to strong gust.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.7M.
Air temperature:... 4.4C dropping to 2C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 3C
Bait:... Crust & Halibut pellet wrapped in cheese paste
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 15M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... Six Chub to 4lb-10oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… There was snow on the hills in the Dales but clear on the lower Ribble again. It was cold but dry and OK out of the wind but the water temp was the lowest it's been of this winter at 3 deg C. The first chub out of six in the session was the largest and the quickest I've ever caught a chub on the Ribble, I'd just put the rod in the rest and picked up my second rod to thread up when it slammed over and stayed there until I could pick it up. The rest of the six chub came from 1lb; 2lb and 3lb year classes, which bode well for the future of chub fishing on the Ribble.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Thursday 05/02/15
Time fished:...17:00:00hrs 22:00hrs
Weather conditions:... Overcast, no wind, light showers mid-session later clearing with near full moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.44M.
Air temperature:... 8.2C dropping to 2.5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 5.7C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 15M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste with PVA bags of micro-pellets, dried hemp and halibut ground bait. Loose fed both rods with corn & small halibut pellets.
Results:... One Chub 4lb-1oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… Everything seemed very quiet, mirror like surface and beautiful reflected sunset. Just a few very tentative nudges and one good bite which resulted in a 4lb-1oz chub at 17:55hrs taken on crust. Even the nudges stopped when the moon came out. About 22:00hrs the resident otter and her pup swam though my swim chattering to each other as they disappeared down the river.

The bad one

Reaction score
Her and the pup were out and about last Sunday John around 8 00 pm going up river. After having a play in your swim mate :D

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Date:.. Sunday 08/02/15
Venue:... Ribble
Time fished:...16:30:00hrs 21:30hrs
Weather conditions:... Light damp breeze, overcast and no moon.
Water conditions:... EA River level at 04:30hrs @ NJR 0.44M.
Air temperature:... 6.7C dropping to 5C by the end of the session.
Water Temperature:... 6.7C
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 70M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod Halibut Pellet wrapped in Cheese Paste and feeder filled with liquidised bread, changed as upstream rod after a couple of hours.
Results:... Eight Chub; 2 x 5lb+ 2 x 4lb+ the rest in the 1lb,2lb & 3lb year class. Best chub 5lb-6.5oz
Brief description of the session & remarks:… The water temp was up on the last few weeks and with the river level low I could cast with my feeders 70M to a known chub area. Again, with all year classes covered the futures looking bright on the Ribble. All bar one chub were caught on crust. The weather is looking very good for the rest of the week. I just need to convince our Lass to give me some credit on the brownie points.

greenie62

Reaction score
Method:.. 2 rods both fished 70M out – Upstream Rod Crust and feeder filled with liquidised bread. Downstream Rod ... feeder filled with liquidised bread, changed as upstream rod after a couple of hours.
Results:... Eight Chub; 2 x 5lb+ 2 x 4lb+ the rest in the 1lb,2lb & 3lb year class. Best chub 5lb-6.5oz
... I could cast with my feeders 70M to a known chub area. ...

And you caught Chub - what a surprise! ;):rolleyes::D

Well in there lad:thumbs: