Right,a moan about spade end hooks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
i've got a feeling that whereas hooks like carbon chubs were made in Japan,i'm just guessing,but i've got a feeling they are being made in China,like everything else and wonder whether the accuracy is as good limits wise.
Nope. All made in the same Japanese factory as always.
The shank length on Carbon Chub is a bit longer than Wide Gape but the actual gapes are not vastly different (about 2.9mm for Carbon Chub and 3.0mm for Wide Gape in an 18 but bigger difference in a 20). To the eye Wide Gape look wide gape because the shanks are a bit shorter and deliberately so. I prefer the way bait sits on the Wide Gape as Carbon Chub were/are crystal bend with a rather acute angle at the base of the point and swept up radically to the shank. But that's personal preference. That said I still use 22's in 'older' hooks simply because, to me, they are 'proper' 22's. Wide Gape Match being the exception.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Barbless Super Spades are just called Margin Carp. Same hook they always were just renamed. And guess what ? They sell more !

I was postive there used to be barbless superspades as I once got some by mistake, infact I reckon I will still have them.
You have cleared that up for me ?.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Carbon Chub 18...Wide Gape 18....B711 19.

Attachments

• 20201205_124912.jpg
    20201205_124912.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 102

Reaction score
Just had another look at mine (I did take a photo but no idea how to upload it) and as has already been mentioned now the shape and leading angle of the spades on my Carbon Chub and Wide Gape which I measured are, as near as damn it, identical. For these there is no logical reason why one would hold 0.12/0.14 line and the other not and plating makes no difference (they are both bronze finishes anyway) as the knot is held on the shank directly under the spade. So perhaps you have a whole batch of under-forged hooks. But you also say it's happening not to just those but other types as well.

I don't really understand it,i've been tying spades all my life,with not a problem,then when I am being forced to change my hook patterns,it becomes a major issue,not good really

peterjg

Reaction score
I need your help! I am using the wrong hooks, wrong knots, wrong line, wrong baits, wrong tackle - it's a wonder that I ever catch anything - however I am bloody lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.