River Dane Chub

A

albert watkinson

as you know i am a bay malton member and if there are grayling in the water so well and good .i cant say i have seen them when i haven't.i never said there was none there.i veiw this site as a sharing of knowledge.
albert

T

Tony Peters

I used to fish the Dane on a Winsford & District book in the late 70's and early 80's as a lad, downstream of Croxton Weir.
I had plenty of chub in the 3lb bracket.
After reading **** Walker in the Angling Times, I took a load of big black slugs and caught a dozen fish, all over 3lbs with the biggest weighing 4lb 4oz.

This remained my best until I moved down here to Dorset and having access to the Avon and the Stour.

My biggest is now 6lb 2oz but that still remains my best ever days fishing as everything went to plan.

I won a schools match on the same section shortluy after using slugs where everyone else was on hemp and caster.

They all thought I was mad until I won with 32lb of chub whilst second was 1lb 6oz!!

barrie roberts

Reaction score
Hi Albert, I to am a may malton member, and i have not had a grayling from there waters, But i have been catching them for the past 8 years higher up the river,never heared of any below the weir at holmes chapel, paas stocked them years ago and they breed every year now. they seem to like the higher stetches of all rivers i've cought them even from the r. goyt and r.tame above stockport.

S

Steve Reeves

Since I wrote my original post to start this thread I have caught chub of 4lbs and another which went 4lbs-4onz.

Barrie, I caught good bags of grayling from the Goyt at New Mills as long ago as 1980.

D

Danny Hale

I have had probably half a dozen 4lb plus Charlies from the Dane this season , biggest @ 4.14 but still to break the magic 5lb barrier.Im sure they go quite a bit bigger than this as Ive seen them but gettin to take a bait and hang on to it is another thing !!! Well done Albert. Tight lines.

E

EC

You sound like you have had the same type of 'fun' as me Danny. Crystal clear water, fish picks up bait, swims off tip, goes wallop, strike....

'Oh sh*te how did I miss that?'

A

albert watkinson

eddie.fished the byley stretch many years ago and had the bites as you say.must have had 20.never looked like hooking one.i am sure they were teaching me a lesson.in the end i packed up and went in the nearest pub.no nearer when i came out .never mind heh.
albert

Curt whitby

Reaction score
Had one bite all day on a bunch of lobs resulting in a 5lb 2 oz chub. An absolute beast. It looked a young fish as well. Previous big uns have been right old war horses. I'm lucky enough to live right near the river for most of my life save a spell in the forces and 3 yrs in oz and that's my 3rd over 4lb to go with 2 over 4lb from the weaver behind back of British waterways boatyard in Northwich. Been catching a few grayling too from Middlewich to northwich. The Dane is as good as it's ever been in my eyes.

Curt whitby

Reaction score
Ha ha yes I thought it was a bit behind time and needed an update. To be fair 2003 was probably the last time I had a chub near to that size! Hope it's not that long between drinks next time.

Curt whitby

Reaction score
No i've never fished it. I just tend to go from Bostock to Northwich. I had a bigger Chub out the other day it was 58cms in length. I left my scales back at home!! Not sure of the weight but was a high 5 pounder for sure.