River Lugg Decimated.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Guy Linley-Adams, a lawyer for the charity Salmon and Trout Conservation, who lives nearby, witnessed the destruction to the river, which is protected as an SSSI, site of special scientific interest.

He called for prosecution of those responsible. “This is one of the most egregious acts of ecological vandalism that I have seen in 25 years of working on rivers in the UK,” he said. “I have been on site and I am shaking with anger at what has been done to my local river.

“There can be no excuse if the perpetrator is not now prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. His financial assets should also be taken to pay to restore the river, a restoration that will take decades.” . . . "

peterjg

Reaction score
I repeat yet again the EA are useless!!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks as though the EA were caught napping again, why didn't they act when first alerted I wonder?

Exactly, it must have taken some time to do all that, surely they had more than enough time to stop it!

Reaction score
Cannot understand why anyone wou!d want to do it in the first place,that said the very same thing happened on the Ivel at Biggleswade where old people's flats were built,it was done so the old folk could look across the fields to the A1....?

sam vimes

Reaction score
DSC_0001_BURST20200621163718561.JPG

This is part of a stretch that came under the tender care of the EA on my local river. There were valid reasons for the work being carried out, but many of us were shocked by what they did. Whilst the worked length is no more than 300 yards, it's had a significant impact on areas further downstream. However, the above photo was taken just after the coarse season opened. We've had a few decent floods since then, so it's already starting to change and shift.

rob48

Reaction score
Anyone got any idea why this act of lunacy was committed? Just seems totally mental from any angle.
Can't be certain but this is sometimes done to alleviate perceived flooding threats upstream.

Aknib

Reaction score
I read the report linked to in the original post and something in the back of my mind has been troubling me for the last two or three hours, namely this which has finally bubbled to the surface...

'Environment Agency staff, West Mercia police, officials from Natural England and the Forestry Commission moved in to stop further damage on Friday'

What a complete bunch of ineffectual, useless and public money draining lot these must be if this sort of thing cannot be prevented in the first place, moving in only after the event and strutting around like peacocks in an attempt to wield their individual bats in a frail attempt at self-justification.

What an absolute absurdity.

How about we replace them all with a single body, maybe name them the 'mopping up after the event' brigade?

As for Natural England, well...

They're still probably trying to trap Keith the seal in that bloody lock!

You really couldn't make this up, so many self-proclaimed protectors of the environment and law yet this kind of thing still happens?

Last edited:

GT56

Reaction score
I can't get past the close season and have nothing positive to say about the EA. Their continued failings only confirm my opinion.

theartist

Reaction score
Could you imagine if us lot were given access to that mile of river, the digger and carte blanche to repair the damage?

A small backwater pool connected at one end to prevent silting and a flood refuge for fry

Widening of that channel and bends put in with gravel shallows inbetween, plant the odd willow here and there and plant trees in the flood meadow

A small carrier stream for breeding and flood refuge

So how about some restorative justice in cases like this, If riparian landowners can't look after their baby then maybe it should be taken into care.

bullet

Reaction score
It does seem odd it wasn't noted and reported as soon as work started, maybe it's in the middle of nowhere?
Probably a Farmer, in many ways they operate with impunity, removing gravel, throwing in rubble they want rid of to shore up banks, digging like this....

Wakou

Reaction score
Could you imagine if us lot were given access to that mile of river, the digger and carte blanche to repair the damage?

A small backwater pool connected at one end to prevent silting and a flood refuge for fry

Widening of that channel and bends put in with gravel shallows inbetween, plant the odd willow here and there and plant trees in the flood meadow

A small carrier stream for breeding and flood refuge

So how about some restorative justice in cases like this, If riparian landowners can't look after their baby then maybe it should be taken into care.
Yes. And the original perpetrator. wearing striped overalls, forced to do the labouring. And the land, deeds and title confiscated and put into trust. And them being banned from owning any land above say, 1 acre which must be attached to their permanent residence.
I know I sound like the very worst old quasi-fascist lunatic, talking about single-parents, or asylum-seekers. I am usually a soft old Guardian-reading pinko, but this sort of thing makes me FURIOUS!