Ron Clay

Venue........Boroughbridge
Date.........02/03/02
Time fished......8.00 to 15.00
Conditions.......overcast, windy 8 deg C
Water.......Dropped 6 cm in 3 hours, nice ting of colour
Bait........Plumrose bacon grill
Method......Legered
Results.....Two bites missed them 1 chub 41/4 lbs.

Fished from the point below the town. Met Dave Mason who has had chub from the Ure to 6lbs plus. Nice day out

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Aysgarth
Date:...24/03/07
Time fished:...16:00 to 18:30
Weather conditions:...Sunny all day turning to cloud at dusk. Cold wind BP steady with a few bumps now and again.
Water conditions:.. Low and clear
Air temperature: Not taken
Water Temperature: Not taken
Bait:..Nymphs and north country spiders
Method:...Wet fly
Results:...
16:30 12" Brownie Snipe & purple on the dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:...This was my first day out of the game season and the first time on the river Ure. Not much moving, the only rise I saw I cast to and caught a very nice 12? plus brownie. This part of the river is on a flood plain and is quite wide and deep, I felt under gunned with my 8?-6? little 3 piece rod and the fact that my waders leaked didn?t help. The only consolation was I caught before the discomfort of wet feet got unbearable. The Ure is a very beautiful river and I had it all to myself, beautiful day for walking but not the best for fishing, still we?re off to a good start.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Aysgarth & Worton
Date:...31/03/07
Time fished:...11:30 hrs to 17:30 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny all day & very windy. BP dropped slightly from 1029 to 1027 before session, then steady with a few bumps now and again.
Bait:..North country spiders
Method:...Wet fly - Point & 1 dropper
Aysgarth
12:30 hrs 12" plus Wild Brownie Partridge & Orange on dropper.
Worton
16:00 hrs 12" plus Stock Brownie Partridge & Orange on dropper.
Brief description of the session & remarks:...This was my second session on the Ure, this time with a colleague. The fishing was extremely hard work in very gusty wind conditions. There was a limited hatch around mid afternoon that was hard to see because of the wind. We retired to the pub for an hour between moving up river, which gave us a break form the wind and time to make up some new cast. I was very please with the two fish caught and it really was a beautiful day for enjoying the views.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:Newby Hall
Date:early march
Time fished:10:00 13:00
Weather conditions:fair, blustery wind
Water conditions:good colour, strong flow
Air temperature:cool but not freezing.
Water Temperature:not taken
Bait: liquidised bread, flake on hook.
Method:free running cage feeder 2ft tail
Results: one lost fish beteen three of us.
Brief description of the session & remarks:
One of my late friend Johns last outings so a little time spent ensuring his welfare and making him comfortable.Bites at a premium as only Steven ,Johns son connected with a good chub which shed the hook. In the light of recent events just being out on the bank for a few precious hours was a bonus.

J

john conway

Date:...06/04/07
Time fished:...16:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny all day & very breezy at times. BP 1027 & steady before session, then rose to 1031 during session.
Worton
Blank
Aysgarth
16:00 hrs 10" grayling Partridge & Orange on point.
18:10 hrs 12" brownie Partridge & Orange on point.
Brief description of the session & remarks:...Earned some brownie points this morning going running with our lass, she ran I rode my bike. Very busy up here in the Dales it being Good Friday. The public footpath that runs along the riverbank was crowded with walkers but I still managed a couple of fish, the wind was more trouble than the walkers were.

J

john conway

Date:...07/04/07
Time fished:...17:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny all day but less breezy than the last couple of days. BP 1028 & steady during session.
Aysgarth
16:00 hrs 10" Browmie Partridge & Orange on point.
16:10 hrs 12" brownie Partridge & Orange on point.
16:30 hrs 12" plus brownie Snipe & Purple on dropper.
Brief description of the session & remarks:...Another good short session on the Ure, after getting rid of the rooks nest in our chimneys and shopping, however, this time the shopping was for fly tying materials. The river is getting quite low now, but as I have not fished it before, I'm not sure how low it can still go, at least the wadding's easier. No visible sign of a hatch but one or two trout topped and there where a few flashes. Three very nice brownies and all returned. Still got a lot of river to explore and I have yet to fish it when it's carrying some water.

J

john conway

Date:...09/04/07
Time fished:...16:00 hrs to 18:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast and drizzley, very very windy. BP 1020 and bouncing about.
Aysgarth
Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:..Wind blowing straight down the river and quite gusty at times very difficult casting a fly up stream. Had a couple of plucks but that was all, couldn't stay into dusk we had a visitor!!!!

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth and Worton.
Date:...14/04/07
Time fished:...12:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Bright and sunny and very warm for this time of the year. BP 1027 rising to 1029 by the end of the session.
Water conditions:.. Very low and clear, the river is showing it's bones now.
Method:...Swopping between Dry fly and Wet fly.
Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:..New bit of the river to investigate, there were a few small fish topping out at the tail end of the pools and I disturbed one very large fish in the margins. I had a few snaps at my dry fly but it was only very small stuff. Again could not stay until dusk I wanted to watch the FA cup semi final @ 17:30. Don't think I'll be back now until we've had a wee bit of rain or I can fish into dusk?

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth.
Date:...20/04/07
Time fished:...18:30 hrs to 20:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast, light breeze. BP 1022 bouncing about before and all through the session.
Water conditions:.. Very low and clear.
Method:...Wet fly.
17:00 10" Brownie Snipe & Purple on the dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:..There's always one swim on most rivers that ends up being a banker when times are hard and that?s were my little brownie can from. It's a nice little run into a big pool that straightens even the crappiest cast out just before the take zone. It got quite cold as it got dark so I called it a day and went for some chips in Hawes.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth.
Date:...22/04/07
Time fished:...14:00 hrs to 18:30 hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast with the odd light shower, light breeze. BP 1017 bouncing about before and all through the session.
Water conditions:.. Very,very low and clear.
18:00 12" Brownie Snipe & Purple on the dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:..The good old banker swim saved the day once again. Had a few plucks here and there and there were a few fish topping out but no real hatch to talk of.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Aysgarth.
Date:...27/04/07
Time fished:...16:30 hrs to 22:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny but with a very cool breeze. BP big spike before session 1028 rising to 1036 by the end of the session.
Water conditions:.. About 1 ft up and running with a wee bit of colour.
18:00 6" Brownie dark fly on the dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:...I thought this would be a good session, the river looked great but there was a very cool breeze and very little activity. My only consolation was no one else had caught when I left.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth & Worton.
Date:...29/04/07
Time fished:...16:30 hrs to 20:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny but with a cool breeze. BP steady through out the session at 1022.
Water conditions:.. Dropping back down to normal summer levels but still running with a wee bit of colour.
17:30 12" Brownie dark fly on the dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:...There were plenty of small fry and little trout bouncing about. I had quite a few plucks and little trout holding on for a few seconds. However, the only fish that made it into the net came at the tail end of a fast run into a deep glide. This was a very beautiful evening in a very beautiful Yorkshire Dale.

J

john conway

Date:...05/05/07
Time fished:...17:00 hrs to 20:30 hrs
Weather conditions:..Bright and sunny light breeze BP steady at 1021 all session.
Water conditions:.. Very low and clear
Air temperature: 19.4C
Water Temperature: 14.8C
Method:...Wet fly - Point & 1 dropper, plus a short session with dry fly.
Blank
Brief description of the session & remarks:..I had quite a few plucks on the wet fly and loads of very tiny fry bumping and snatching at my dry fly as soon as it hit the water. There were quite a few 10" to 12" trout leaping well out of the water at dusk. Crap fishing but another very beautiful evening on this glorious river, finished off with a bag of fish and chips in Hawes on the way home.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth and Worton
Date:...20/05/07
Time fished:...12:00 t 18:30 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny intervals, windy at times. BP steady through session at 1017.
Water conditions:...River well up and coloured but dropping fast.
Air temperature:...16C
Water Temperature:...13.1C
Bait:...North country spiders
Method:...Wet fly - Point & 2 droppers
Results:
12:20 10"+ brownie Snipe & Purple on dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:...The river didn't look too bad to say it was running quite high and the early trout lead me to believe I'd net a few brownies, but it wasn't to be. For the rest of the session it was just a few tugs and plucks but nothing else. I talked to another angler who was leaving as I started and he'd only had a couple of small trout all morning. The river, if the weather's kind, should fish quite well over the next couple of days.

J

john conway

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth and Worton
Date:...26/05/07
Time fished:...15:30 t 21:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Sunny intervals, windy at times. BP steady throughout the session at around 1007.
Water conditions:...River back down to NSL.
Air temperature:...17.2C
Water Temperature:...14.7C
Results:
Around 18:00hrs 2 x 6" brownies firts one Sinpe & Purple then a couple of cast later Partridge & Orange on point
19:50 10"+ brownie Snipe & Purple on dropper
Brief description of the session & remarks:...Plenty of small stuff rising, I'm still getting to know this bit of the river and where the big boys are hiding. As usual it was a very pleasant late afternoon on the river.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Section of Fishery or river stretch:...Between Aysgarth
Date:...13/04/08
Time fished:...15:00 t 18:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Overcast at first with the odd shower ending with sunny intervals.
Water conditions:...River up about 12" ANSL and running off.
Air temperature:...Not Taken
Water Temperature:...Not Taken
Results:
Between16:00hrs& 17:00hrs2 x12"brownies, first one on Snipe & Purpleon the dropper second one onPartridge & Orange on the point
Brief description of the session & remarks:...First trip of the season over the tops to the Ure. Very pleasant session, for about an hour or so there where loads of trout topping and splashing about just before I packed up it went dead.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Date:...26/04/08
Time fished:...11:00 t 14:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Light cloud, weak sun and very windy.
Water conditions:...NSL.
Results:
About 12:00hrspicked up one12" brownie on Snipe & Purpleon the dropper.
Brief description of the session & remarks:...Seemed OK at first but after 3 hours I'd had enough, far too windy, packed in and went to the pub.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Date:...10/05/08
Time fished:...13:00 t 17:00 hrs
Weather conditions:...Hazy sun, light breeze and humid.
Water conditions:...NSL.
Results: BLANK
Brief description of the session & remarks:...Plenty of small fish rising but nothing doing only had one little pluck all session. No hatch while I was on the river.

George387

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch: Jervaux Abbey
Date: 01/06/08
Time fished: 14.30 to 17.00hrs
Weather conditions: Overcast with light Rain
Water conditions: Low and clear
Air temperature: Not Taken
Water Temperature: Not Taken
Bait: Dry Flies
Method: Dry Fly
Results: 6 trout around 3/4lbs mark, 1 fish at 2lbs.
Brief description of the session & remarks: I was walking the stretch yesterday and discovered a large hatch of mayfly so went back today hoping it was still on & it was, had great sport with the smaller fish and lost count of how many I missed. Best Hatch of mayfliesI have seen in a few years and the trout were gorging on them