Roach Spawning Soon?

peterjg

Reaction score
From an estate lake yesterday evening I caught a roach which felt quite rough to the touch so I guess it was male. Does anyone know how long this happens prior to actual spawning as I have no wish to fish for roach then. The water temperature was 50F in the edge. What temperature does the water need to be for roach spawning to occur?

theartist

Reaction score
That's a pretty good attitude, nice one (y) Whilst i'm not sure of water temperatures I'd keep an eye on the night time air temps as that's what will bump the water temps up and most fish usually breed after or during a warm night

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The only thing I know is I only saw roach spawning once and that was in April, it was a little weir on a small stream and they were all shoaling up in the fast water and behaving erratically which looked like spawning to me. The nights have been pretty cold so I suspect the water is too so maybe it will be later this year but I don't really know about actual temperatures, the only thing I have deduced from my own records for water temps for roach that there is quite a jump in feeding activity around 56-60f from the winter or before and then a drop in the 61-65f area and I have assumed that might be the spawning temps, is it they are having a feed after the winter to get strong and then become a bit preoccupied with spawning. I don't really know, it could mean nothing, it is nothing scientific, just an assumption.

1618646985386.png

Last edited:

Reaction score
The way the weather is it will probably be at least two weeks plus,unless we have a heatwave I'd imagine,bream and roach get the tubercle/rough effect quite early before spawning,you won't catch spawning roach or bream,they are engrossed in the job in hand...