Rod for new waters (small ponds)

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just joined a club with 4 small ponds with everything in from small silvers to Crucians, carp, Tench, literally everything, and I mean small. I have been thinking about getting a new float rod anyway but hadn’t decided on either length or test curve but with these ponds being small at least one factor is decided and that is the length which is going to be 11’, but which test curve do I go for or do I get an Avon quiver and get 2 uses out of it.

Thanks for looking.

john step

Reaction score
If they are really that small, will you need a quiver? The problem is a familiar one in that one rod doesn't always fit all.
If it a water where the fish are small maybe to 3 or 4 ponds maximum you won't need something as beefy as an avon.
If the fish mainly carp are bigger and there are snags/lillies etc then you may well do.

I have never laid eyes on one but someone on here will recommend a Darenth Valley light rod which seem to be favourites for this type of fishing.
Hang on as someone will probably pop up with the spec and praises.

mikench

Reaction score
I am happy to oblige. The rod in question is a Darent Valley 0.75 tc rod. It costs around £44 from the Tacklebox in Dartford Kent. Try the search engine on the forum. Feel free to spend 3 times as much but you will not get a better or nicer rod.

For a short float rod I suggest the Greys Toreon 10’6” tactical if you can find one. I have 2 and another member on here also has 2. Several other members have bought them.They are excellent and will cost around £80 or less if you can find one. Float rods do not have test curves

Last edited:

Twiddler

Reaction score
Thankyou gents, actually I have been looking at these and they seem very reasonable, and for the money it’s worth a try. As for a separate quiver I will use my Nash 10’ x 1.75tc.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Just an add on to my last reply, do you think the Darenth valley rod would be a good choice for the ”Mrs” who is learning.

Cheers.

mikench

Reaction score
It’s a truly lovely rod and very adaptable . I’m sure she would prefer it to a broom stick. :rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
A small baitrunner such as a Shimano 2500 DL , X Aero 4000 or 2500 or a Stradic C14 ra 4000 or 2500. These reels would suit a wide range of rods.