rod most anglers have owned

ian g

Reaction score
I just bought a Drennan Ledger Master recently with sliding reel grips . I haven't used it yet but messing around with the intended reel all seems ok . I've stuck a couple of elastic bands on , just in case.

rayner

Reaction score
I reckon that most anglers in their formative years would have started out with a garden cane, a bent pin, some cotton and a couple of matchsticks.
Six foot long garden canes were the perfect job for my local pond when after sticklebacks.

I remember those days Mick, back in the early sixties I used to splash in a small pond at the back of Aston park lily pond just through the trees only about five yards from the lily. Stickle backs on tiny bits of bread.
Thanks for jogging my memory, Mick.
The oldest rod I have left since my clearout is a Shimano power loop from the mid-eighties.
My clear out as totally failed during these lockdowns not being able to fish through shielding I've spent far more than my share on rods, base layers, reels, a chair, new thermal waterproof suit, new boots and more sundries than the local shop. It's a sort of detox from lack of fishing.
PS the small pond is no longer there, it was overgrown in the seventies, I told a friend about it he didn't believe it when we went to look compounded his disbelief. I know it was there it's where I started this crazy art.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Gary, my waters were in High Hazels park, taddies (Tadpoles) first then progressing on to sticklebacks.
The other waters were the forgewheel dams up rivalin valley road.
I once had an article published in the old Coarse Angler mag by Colin Dyson about the sticklebacks in High Hazels park, I still have it laying in my garage somewhere.

rayner

Reaction score
I splashed about at Aston or Ulley res where it wasn't quite legal, in fact not at all. I really couldn't call it fishing until I reach a much older age of 10 ;)
I lived at Swallownest, only a short walk to both Aston and Ulley. I'd never heard of High Hazels park back then, even though it's not too far from where I lived.

trotter2

Reaction score
Being a sad b****** i too like a quality rod bag. I agree that the Sphere bag is excellent and just nice to put your rod pieces in and take them out. The Sphere 2 rod hold-all is an excellent piece of kit too and keeps my Browning rods together. The Hardy rod bags are class. The Normarks i have all have velvet bags as does the Shimano Antares. Why spoil the rod with a cheap bag' i have a couple of Daiwa rods in the coarse blue bags which still look new. The replacement bags i have had made are top quality.
I must have got a bad one as the sphere bag I have has started to delaminate already .☹️