Safety lead clips

Old fisher

Reaction score
A lot of years ago now, I started using the safety lead clips as I thought them a good idea. Sometime later when I saw the first safety clips that came with a tiny locking pin I started using that kind. I have never had any problems with them, but I also never had a problem with the pin less ones. Three summers ago I was fishing near to a guy who had a swim in the corner of the lake and he had hooked a large fish but seemed to be having trouble landing it. I reeled in and went to see if I could help. He had been fishing under some overhanging branches. He had hooked a carp that went straight into some sunken branches. After a while the fish had freed itself and swum out. However, the lead was still in the branches and the fish was running away. He could not bring it to the net as every time he recovered line the fish was being pulled back to the snags. Eventually I held his rod and he went in and freed the fish. Afterwards, like you do, we had a chat about it. He was using the old style clips with no locking pin and the swivel had come out of the clip. I don't know for sure but I wondered if a clip with a pin would have given him a better chance or just trapped the carp in the snags. What do others think about the so called safety clips. Pin type or pin less ?

john step

Reaction score
I did see a video by a chap who owns a French fishery who was castigating lead clip set ups. He was advocating a sort of running rig set up with the swivel of the lead fed onto a rubber tapered knot protector.
I have tried it and found it OK but I adapted it with the addition of Gardner "C" clips which go on the lead swivel and give way to free the lead.
I cannot recall details offhand but the pack comes with two different breaking strains of "C" clips depending on your weight and force of cast.
I have found this an excellent way and use it a lot for the carp.

You Tube.....................

Matthew Collins ....Best carp rig: New twist on the classic hair rig+ why its SO effective.

Well worth the half hour spent to watch it

Old fisher

Reaction score
I did see a video by a chap who owns a French fishery who was castigating lead clip set ups. He was advocating a sort of running rig set up with the swivel of the lead fed onto a rubber tapered knot protector.
I have tried it and found it OK but I adapted it with the addition of Gardner "C" clips which go on the lead swivel and give way to free the lead.
I cannot recall details offhand but the pack comes with two different breaking strains of "C" clips depending on your weight and force of cast.

Matthew Collins ....Best carp rig: New twist on the classic hair rig+ why its SO effective.

That sounds quite a good idea. I will have a look and try to find the video. Thanks.

Philip

Reaction score
The whole point of the “safety” clip is to release the lead. If people fish it as a running rig or use a swivel that pulls out of the clip too easily they are defeating the object of using one.

The Lead must release before the hooklink swivel pulls out of the clip. That’s why later versions of the clip included a hole that allowed you to tie the hooklink swivel into the clip or a peg to hold it in place. Early versions just relied on the angler using a tight fitting swivel.

As an aside people often push the tail rubbers on too tight…the tail rubber should be able to easily slide off allowing the lead to come away.

At the end of the day rigs are only as safe as the person using it.

Old fisher

Reaction score
The whole point of the “safety” clip is to release the lead. If people fish it as a running rig or use a swivel that pulls out of the clip too easily they are defeating the object of using one.

The Lead must release before the hooklink swivel pulls out of the clip. That’s why later versions of the clip included a hole that allowed you to tie the hooklink swivel into the clip or a peg to hold it in place. Early versions just relied on the angler using a tight fitting swivel.

As an aside people often push the tail rubbers on too tight…the tail rubber should be able to easily slide off allowing the lead to come away.

At the end of the day rigs are only as safe as the person using it.
Quite so.

Old fisher

Reaction score

Hi again john. I watched the video, very good. I thought the other videos from every angler on the same group also looked good to watch. I originally asked the question not because I did not know what to do myself but to just find out if others had also come across people who have had problems with the safety clip and get them to talk about it and I very much liked your added reply. Thanks