Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No. It was a rather smug little novel, a fantasy that took a swipe at all things bureaucratic, EU, Red Tape-y and NuLibor by a writer who died several months ago. It was made into an even worse film starring the Scots fella who can't act from Trainspotting and Emily Blunt a rather posh bit of kit from Surrey.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I met the author , Paul Torday once on a train back to London, nice chap bit obsesses with hats if I recall right ( then ago I did drink a fair bit so I may be wrong about the hat business)

Ewan Mcgregor is a motorbike enthusiast , I've met him a few times at bike rallies ; father in law rode bikes up to being 75 and had 1100 cc bike that I was scared to even sit on

His last bike( the father in law) was a mere 500cc , he rode the Isle of Man circuit , the one when the day is open to the public , that rides sorts out the , "Look at me, biker boys on there low riders" from the serious bikers

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You're talking about mad Sunday, I last took part in 1982 and watched a German on a Laverda launch himself and his girlfriend off the side of the mountain course when he totally missed a right hand bend at over 100mph they flew for over 600 feet before hitting the ground and were both killed.
I rode the remaining 12 or so miles back to Douglas allot slower than I rode the 26 miles out.

keora

Reaction score
I saw the film on telly a few years back. Total fantasy. Salmon in the desert?
Erm.. ?

I read the book, it was fairly well written, but too whimsical. I was surprised when I heard they were making a film of it.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
You're talking about mad Sunday, I last took part in 1982 and watched a German on a Laverda launch himself and his girlfriend off the side of the mountain course when he totally missed a right hand bend at over 100mph they flew for over 600 feet before hitting the ground and were both killed.
I rode the remaining 12 or so miles back to Douglas allot slower than I rode the 26 miles out.

Yes might have been mad Sunday (I'm not a bike enthusiast) - my Father in law did say he was doing about 60, more like 80 but he didn't want his daughter to know) and a chap on a another bike went past him like he was standing still

Reaction score
How did we get from salmon to motor bikes?

I saw a salmon in a river once. Big deal, you might say. Well, me being a mere mortal, northern nobody, I thought I was quite privileged to glimpse such a delight.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Wasted a couple of hours of my life reading the book.
It started promisingly but rapidly disappeared it up it's own backside.
Sorry to hear the author kicked the bucket but no great loss to the literary world.