Seat box

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I paid 120 with a maver 4m whip thrown in That I still use ... in 1989 or so. Still have that one.
the other two I’ve bought since for about £40 each off eBay.

i do also remember the RRP being around that cost.

I had heard that modern boxes were a bit “heavy”
There was one on eBay a couple of months ago with a buy it now price of £300 , and there were 7 people watching. !!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I paid 120 with a maver 4m whip thrown in That I still use ... in 1989 or so. Still have that one.
the other two I’ve bought since for about £40 each off eBay.

i do also remember the RRP being around that cost.

I had heard that modern boxes were a bit “heavy”
There are 2 on eBay at the moment for £300.
They must be joking.
Another on at around £50 but it's been ruined by someone fitting an Octoplus leg system to it. ?

rob48

Reaction score
I dropped lucky about three or four years ago and picked up one of these:

from the online/ebay retailer (home-un-leisure) that's based in Darlington and appears to buy up lots of discontinued lines from the major brands.

They: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/home-un-leisure/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
have lots of fishing gear listed and the occasional bargain crops up.

I got it for only £127.00 and use it for my stillwater/pole fishing trips.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have been looking at the ads for the Trabbucco Genius canal seats, either with 25mm or 36mm legs, they look good, drawer units can be bought separately,
Has anyone heard any reports on these.?
I am downsizing from a Preston Innovations SL30, so that wil be up for sale. It has 2extra units. A pole winder tray unit, and a pole winder/shallow drawer unit, a side tray and possibly the new style pole steady/spray bar. £200

john step

Reaction score
I made the long drive south to visit Simon Peter Crabtree and picked up the seat box he has kindly given me. Traffic light on way down, traffic a pig with accidents and blocked roads on way back.

We had a good chat and |I got a demonstration . A very robust box with legs that will even take my weight.

Thanks again Simon. Donation on way to your chosen charity.

Dajo

Reaction score
The Octboxes are undoubtedly expensive. They are seriously over-engineered. I know folks that have been using their for years with zero issues with leg slippage and the like. Every person I know that has one absolutely swears by them.

I don't have a great deal of use for a proper seat box. However, I do like my Browning feeder chair. It's done well for the last few years, but it's starting to get a bit tired. I really wish that Octbox would do a feeder chair (essentially their stool with a backrest), I'd be on it like a shot.

I have an Octbox. Will never have any other make.
Have a look at their website. They do a version of the seat that has a backrest

nottskev

Reaction score
I've had an Octbox for maybe 6 years, and there's a lot to be said, imo, for the stripped down stool + two drawer D25 configuration I mostly use. But along the way I've thrown away a side-tray which on its own weighs almost as much as the frame, legs and shallow fibreglass base on my Boss compact box, and jettisoned a good few other clunky ancillaries. I made a back rest for my Boss box that involves two pieces and one fixing point. Have a look at the weighty scaffolding for the Octbox back rest; W Heath Robinson would take his hat off to it.

oct.jpg

Btw, I bought the impressive-looking Octbox feeder arm. Fix it to the leg of a 2 drawer compact version, itself no lightweight, and your box will topple forward under its weight if you stand up. A good box, but add-ons are massively over-engineered.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I've had an Octbox for maybe 6 years, and there's a lot to be said, imo, for the stripped down stool + two drawer D25 configuration I mostly use. But along the way I've thrown away a side-tray which on its own weighs almost as much as the frame, legs and shallow fibreglass base on my Boss compact box, and jettisoned a good few other clunky ancillaries. I made a back rest for my Boss box that involves two pieces and one fixing point. Have a look at the weighty scaffolding for the Octbox back rest; W Heath Robinson would take his hat off to it.

View attachment 18314

Btw, I bought the impressive-looking Octbox feeder arm. Fix it to the leg of a 2 drawer compact version, itself no lightweight, and your box will topple forward under its weight if you stand up. A good box, but add-ons are massively over-engineered.
The handwheels look very similar to the Daiwa SB range of seat boxes, and change the white for green the Maver seatboxes.
When I had my AS1 I needed a strap for it, I phoned Octbox and Rick measured the length of the straps they use and one was ideal. Cost me around £8. Cheap as chips,
I got same service as if I was buying an actual seatbox.

nottskev

Reaction score
The handwheels look very similar to the Daiwa SB range of seat boxes, and change the white for green the Maver seatboxes.
When I had my AS1 I needed a strap for it, I phoned Octbox and Rick measured the length of the straps they use and one was ideal. Cost me around £8. Cheap as chips,
I got same service as if I was buying an actual seatbox.

Whatever you think about the boxes, everyone agrees you get unbeatable service from Rick.