Sewage in our rivers.

nottskev

Reaction score
In case the issue gets simplified into the government's or the public's responsibility, let's not forget the supermarkets have whole aisles normalising the chemical weapons for hygienic overkill in the home, the shops are full of the synthetic clothing and personal products that that will enrich your washing machine outfall with microplastics, and so on. Blaming the public for polluting, in many respects, is like blaming people for getting overweight in a world where crap food of all kinds is ubiquitous. They're doing what's normal, expected and urged on us. Pollution, of our bodies as of our environment, is intrinsic to our culture. Individuals speaking against it are cranks, eco zealots, tree-huggers etc. Government action against it, should we lucky to have one that's at all bothered, is the nanny state taking away our freedom to choose and punishing us with taxes. We - and I mean the public, not just groups with a leisure stake in the environment - are a long way from grasping, much less changing, the picture.

steve2

Reaction score
There is only one animal species destroying this planet and that is the so-called intelligent human race. We like to think we can control what happens to this planet but in the end we will have no control at all. We may help to lengthen the years it takes by cleaning it up but it will still die one day.

What this planet will look like in a thousand years from now is any ones guess but I see a vastly over populated planet where resources have run out. By then we might even have found a way to dump our waste on the Moon and other planets or just shoot it into space.

Molehill

Reaction score
We use and waste far too much water. We pour all manner of harmfull chemicals down the drain which we need not do. We put "rubbish" down the pan that has no place there.
Halving our water consumption and chemical usage, putting NO sanitary products, wipes, condoms, kitchen towel etc. down the pan would be a good place to start. That is all in our hands and not rocket science, a good place to start and demand the water companies or government (if water were ever privatised) did their share.

bullet

Reaction score
Yep, a little bit of thought about our own individual actions could make a world of difference.

bullet

Reaction score
[QUOTE="grayson, post: Most anglers moan for England and do two parts of **** all else .
[/QUOTE]

What is that based on?

The majority of Anglers I know do a significant amount, like Riverfly Monitoring, for instance, which you've told us you do.
They report any suspected pollution incidents ( yes, I know, a waste of time generally)
They Lobby local MP's on environmental matters ( as above)
They are members of the Angling Trust.

Crusty Old Anglers are never going to have the profile of the Surfer groups in the public's eye ( think Pamela Anderson compared to Fergal Sharkey) but that doesn't mean most of them do nothing but moan.

Here's a quote from the Guardian.....

It was anglers who first approached the Tory MP who has done more to turn the government round in Westminster than anyone else. Philip Dunne, the chair of the environmental audit committee, first suggested changing the law to force water companies to stop discharging raw sewage in a private member’s bill last year.

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
For a river that's "dying" the Wye didn't fish too badly on day one of the Three Day Festival. The winner had 101lb and one bloke came last in his section, with 23lb. Lowest weight I heard today was 14 or 15lb.
Last weekend's WL was won with 92lb, on the whip!

Reaction score
I think dying was a bit strong,but during the summer it was extremely low,the sewage and farm waste was still getting in and the river stunk,its normal rich ranunculus beds died and it fished terribly,the river was soured,big style,after several big flush throughs,the gravels were rinsed off,and although the muck was still probably going in dilution levels would improve and the fish responded...my theory anyway...

The bad one

Reaction score
Further to what I wrote above, sat hear watching a programme presented by Michael Burke about the building of London's sewers. The series of Progs is on Channel 5 and called Building Victorian Britain, subtitle The Great Stink. It goes into far more detail than I did above and if you like Victorian engineering and building as I do, its very interesting, No doubt you can watch it on Channel 5s version of Iplayer.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I love all that stuff, Phil - the railways and stations, the bridges, the municipal buildings, the public parks ....... the vision and ambition behind them are something you look around in vain for today. I've seen a couple of things on Joseph Bazalgette's sewer system and I'll look out for that one. I think I've seen, usually with an engineer mate after a few beers, everything ever shown on tv involving the amazing Fred Dibnah.

If anyone can stand to read any more on the subject - and I'm like most of us, hating the water companies' ongoing pollution of our inland waters and seas, but bamboozled how they get away with it - there's a lot of eye-opening detail in this piece. It also says something - what, is arguable - that anglers are never mentioned amongst the groups making the running with opposition and protest.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
We are underrepresented in the subject, but maybe we underrepresent ourselves. The media care about stunts, not action or results, maybe angling needs to be a bit more noisy on the subject…

The bad one

Reaction score
I love all that stuff, Phil - the railways and stations, the bridges, the municipal buildings, the public parks ....... the vision and ambition behind them are something you look around in vain for today. I've seen a couple of things on Joseph Bazalgette's sewer system and I'll look out for that one. I think I've seen, usually with an engineer mate after a few beers, everything ever shown on tv involving the amazing Fred Dibnah.

If anyone can stand to read any more on the subject - and I'm like most of us, hating the water companies' ongoing pollution of our inland waters and seas, but bamboozled how they get away with it - there's a lot of eye-opening detail in this piece. It also says something - what, is arguable - that anglers are never mentioned amongst the groups making the running with opposition and protest.

Yes Kev so do I, but you can't grow up a son of an engineer in the Manchester area, surrounded by aviation plants, Rolls Royce, Wire works/steel rolling plants (Johnson and nephew), Ferranti Electrical where my dad worked making huge Transformers, coal mines and loads more without it rubbing off on you.