Shallow spooled match reel

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a reel with shallow spools?

I never use the clutch when float fishing so wondering if I should get an older Shimano off ebay but I can't remember which models were best.

I did have a cheap plasticky Daiwa Matchwinner reel a few year ago which was great but have misplaced that.

Molehill

Reaction score
The drennan fd series come with 3 spools, all shallow to take 100m of different diameter lines (typical lower diameter for float fishing).
Worth having a look at those, I have one and satisfied for the price but not mega good indistructable quality!

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I had a little Greys reel that was identical to the Drennan. Worked well for a couple of seasons then seized up.

Keith M

Reaction score
It depends on what your prepared to spend on your reel.

Drennan do fixed spool reels that only take around 100 mtrs of light lines and come with two spare spools (three in total) as well and they are not very expensive; although the FD3000 & FD4000 reels do tend to overspill line a little too easily on the cast. But their other models (Series 7 & the cheaper red range reels) do get a fairly good following.

Another less expensive reel that is very popular is the Diawa Ninja reel although this doesn’t come with a spare spool and takes a bit more line to fill its spool; and it doesn’t come with line reducers so you might need to add a little backing line.

If you are prepared to pay a bit more I would go for what Mikech suggested or something very similar.
NB: The different model Stradics come with either front or rear drags.

I have a Shimano-Aero-4000FA reel however they’ve recently stopped production of this model but it’s a brilliant reel for using light lines for float fishing and comes with a spare spool and line reducers (for loading finer lines) plus it has large diameter spools together with a reel body the size of a much smaller model reel. so you would either have to hope your tackle shop still had one or two still left in stock or look for one on eBay or somewhere similar.
NB: The larger diameter spools improve casting distances when casting wagglers etc. and they don’t give the annoying line curl that you often get with smaller diameter spools.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you fancied a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ RA but prefer a touch less expensive, try the Shimano Super GT RD. Both of these reels feature oversized spools that are supplied with spool reducers.

The snag at the moment is that an awful lot of stuff is out of stock. The places that do have stock have no need whatsoever to discount. Almost everything is selling for RRP despite it having been available for far less a year (or less) ago.

Reaction score
I've just bought a Cadence CS10,it came with three spools although on the website it said two,all with reducers,nice reel...

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I love my Daiwa Fuego LT 3000D-C (LT Light\Tough) (C Compact): Magsealed, 215g, 10kg Drag, 5.3:1 Ratio, Bearings 6BB, 1RB

After watching a Andrew's Knots video on YouTube, I bought the shallow spools from Aliexpress that he spoke about. They're awesome and make the reel lighter and better looking!
Here is the link to the place I bought the spools. Make sure you buy the BLACK SPOOLS:

Here's a link for a search "daiwa fuego lt 3000" on Aliexpress:

Reaction score
I wonder why Gordon didn't like the reel,always a matter of interest from an experienced angler?

wetthrough

Reaction score
always a matter of interest from an experienced angler?

Not that Gordon, me:) I found the stem a bit long and prefer rear drag reels on the whole. It's about 10mm longer than the average reel and at the time I was using my index finger for trapping the line which made it a bit of a stretch. I use my second finger now so I could probably manage it better but I've really no need for it.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I've had it for years but only used it once. The stretch put me off and I got the Ci4+ shortly after so had no use for it.

Reaction score
You were that Gordon,Gordon,lol,I imagined it was you,in fact i'm not sure I can think of another Gordon,but obviously when you out him I will no doubt be ashamed....

rayner

Reaction score
Any spool can be made to the depth you need. First load the line then fill the spool to the rim with a backing line. Then transfer the line to another spool to leave your choice of line on top. The result, a perfectly spooled reel.