Shhhhhhh! How noisy/quiet are you?

theartist

Reaction score
From the roach thread do you think you are ever too noisy on the bank or have you got it right?

Have you ever encountered something special be being super stealthy?

Or do you like being loud and does it really matter?

Are anglers noisy compared to hunters? Quiet compared to kayakers? Similar to walkers, birdwatchers and other country pursuits?

How do you think you and anglers in general fare in regards blending in to the natural ambience?

xenon

Reaction score
since most of my time is spent small river roving and stalking in the summer I think Im pretty good at being stealthy -it's certainly got me close to some massive chub which vanish at the first sign of anything untoward.

bullet

Reaction score
I blend in quite well, except when fishing the Wye, what with the gear sounding like you've thrown a brick in when you cast and the inevitable swearing and chuntering at Kayakers.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for all anglers but for myself I try to be as silent as possible on the river banks.
Thankfully, paddlers are not allowed on the rivers where I fish so I have no direct experience of them, noisy or otherwise.

I think we might all have come across noisy anglers, my worst ones being three lads in bivvies on a lake in Hampshire where they seemed to want to converse loudly with each other rather than fish. I ended up bringing my rods in and settled down with my headphones on to sleep and packed up and left early the next morning.

I tend to wear neutral clothing or camo' when fishing and I well remember an old member here on FM who quoted Walker but made one little typo, that we never let him ever forget.

"Practice to be quiet and wear drag clothing" he wrote . . . when he meant "drab clothing" . . . . .

You can well imagine the ensuing comments ;)

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I am very quiet on the bank. I have nothing but hostility and resentment for anyone being noisy, I also hate anyone interfering with my space lurking as so-called anglers asking "how I'm doing" or "is owt doing mate". It's a thing that happens a lot on commercial fisheries. It's about time owner charged folk for walking around telling them not to approach anglers or they could be fined on the spot. I've broached this idea to owners of venues I fish but as yet have had no joy.

David Gane

Reaction score
One thing a lot of people often forget is that sound sometimes carries exceptionally well over water. Many are the times I have overheard with perfect clarity conversations that are happening on the bank maybe 100 yards away. If you don't want other people hearing intimate conversations never hold them while fishing!

The Sogster

Reaction score
I hate noisy fisheries/ anglers and will avoid them wherever possible. Although banter amongst match anglers doesn't seem to stop them catching.

I was brought up to always be quiet as possible, I don't even shuffle my feet when seated for fear the vibrations will reach the fish and scare them.

mikench

Reaction score
I am very quiet on the bank. I have nothing but hostility and resentment for anyone being noisy, I also hate anyone interfering with my space lurking as so-called anglers asking "how I'm doing" or "is owt doing mate". It's a thing that happens a lot on commercial fisheries. It's about time owner charged folk for walking around telling them not to approach anglers or they could be fined on the spot. I've broached this idea to owners of venues I fish but as yet have had no joy.
Do you have any outstanding features Gary so I'll know if I pop by? :rolleyes: ;) I bet you are the Life and soul.

rayner

Reaction score
Do you have any outstanding features Gary so I'll know if I pop by? :rolleyes: ;) I bet you are the Life and soul.

That's rather harsh Mike (n)when I fish if I ever go again it will be to fish not chat to some non-descript I may never meet again. :poop::sick:

No, Mike, I'm not the life and soul anymore I used to try but that's been knocked out of me by lurkers.:love:

mikench

Reaction score
I was joking Gary as usual and I'm sure we would get on even if I had to start the conversation in Doncaster. ;)

mikench

Reaction score
Mike, I can spot your humour it's always refreshing, we would get on but never in Doncaster.
Did you know that crows in Doncaster fly backwards to keep sh!t out of their eyes? :ROFLMAO:
I thought it was ducks which fly backwards road to keep muck out of their eyes in Pudsey. :)

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I deliberately try to fish quiet venues and object to being disturbed. Years ago I was float fishing hemp close in on a club lake and a chap said the usual "any good mate!?". I just grunted and hoped that he would leave me in peace. Then he said "you miserable sod!?". At this point I turned around and found one of my cousins standing there grinning! I had to laugh,he caught me out nicely!

I have now found several river venues and lakes where it's rare to see another angler, in fact rare to see anyone. These places really still do exist!