Simple questions not justifying a thread.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm curious. Do we think fish can see brightly painted and decorated floats or are they for our benefit ie as a visual aid to see our float. Are fish put off by or attracted to beautifully painted floats?

Reaction score
Fish see the colour at the top of your float when swimming up in the water,they do,because they try to eat it at times,fish are like us I believe,they see things around them,but as long as there is no visible threat to them,no panic response will ensue,it has always been my opinion that if you had a shocking pink rod fish wouldn't take much notice,however,if you,the angler wore a shocking pink outfit and breakdanced on the bank in it the fish would spook wildly,I bet somewhere there is a pink boat moored somewhere in the UK that is a fishing hotspot....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think a multi coloured float bothers the fish at all. I also don't think the colour of our clothing, etc bothers them. I don't think having a varnished rod, or shinny alloy reel bothers them either. I do think sudden movement will/can spook them if your on top of them or at some shallow waters....such as break dancing and tap dancing in hob nailed pit boots on rocky ground.

mikench

Reaction score
such as break dancing and tap dancing in hob nailed pit boots on rocky ground.

You must miss it though Ian ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
such as break dancing and tap dancing in hob nailed pit boots on rocky ground.

You must miss it though Ian ;)

LoL, I still do it, but with an underground hob nailed tap dancing group.
It's quite a closed group and difficult to get a membership needing several proposers to do so!

Keith M

Reaction score
LoL, I still do it, but with an underground hob nailed tap dancing group.
It's quite a closed group and difficult to get a membership needing several proposers to do so!

Do you have a secret handshake and secret word Ian?, and wear a blue & white apron? ;) Or is it Clogs, bells and hankies :)

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a secret handshake and secret word Ian?, and wear a blue & white apron? ;) Or is it Clogs, bells and hankies :)

Keith

? no,no, we don't wear anything out the ordinary, just crotchless tights, budgie smugglers and string vests. Some choose to wear Y fronts on their head also. All looks the part combined with the hobnailed boots ???.

Binka....calm yer sell down lad ?

mikench

Reaction score
It's a miracle that dressed like that he can stand In 4' deep water flowing at a rate of knots, Wallis cast over 50 m and catch barbel you can only dream about. He's a phenomenon par excellence. He doesn't even drink! :rolleyes: :cool:;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a miracle that dressed like that he can stand In 4' deep water flowing at a rate of knots, Wallis cast over 50 m and catch barbel you can only dream about. He's a phenomenon par excellence. He doesn't even drink! :rolleyes: :cool:;)

Hahaha....the hobnails help grip the riverbed and the crotchless tights and budgiesmugglers dry out sharpish ?.

Hooks get caught up in the string vest now and then though .....good job I don't drink as I might make a fool of myself ? ??.

Molehill

Reaction score

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Personally, I don't think a multi coloured float bothers the fish at all. I also don't think the colour of our clothing, etc bothers them. I don't think having a varnished rod, or shinny alloy reel bothers them either. I do think sudden movement will/can spook them if your on top of them or at some shallow waters....such as break dancing and tap dancing in hob nailed pit boots on rocky ground.
Remember "The Man in Red" ?
Jan Porter, always dressed in red, he was a top class match angler.
Browning clothing has Red in it,
Other Branded clothing can be Blue
I think one team had blue and yellow,
You dont need camo to catch, just good watercraft and no banging around on your peg, or sky lining.

mikench

Reaction score
I have had to make a return on eBay, my first, as the item, a reel, was defective. The seller agreed( he knew) and sent me a return label. In dealing with this I saw a Preston Monster hard case for 2 rods for sale at £1,153.90. Yes £1,153.90 for an item which costs around £75 or less. It didn't sell not surprisingly and I was irritated to receive an email because I had viewed it to tell me I deserve a second chance and the item is relisted at the same exhorbitant price. Why do eBay allow such attempts to rip people off. I'm tempted to contact eBay.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, the sellers do that when they are out of stock. Apparently not to loose their slot or something. There is lots of items like that and it did annoy me at first.

mikench

Reaction score
With my rig settled upstream or, at least, opposite at 12 o’clock, my rod is aligned downstream at around 10 o’clock. The strike is made upstream – however odd this may seem at first; but when you imagine striking downstream it’s easy to see how ineffective this would be. Quote from an article here.

Why? This is counter intuitive to me and I can't grasp how striking downstream would be ineffective. Striking upstream would merely lose impetus because of the bow in the line wouldn't it?