Simple questions not justifying a thread.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
We have a mattress with a memory foam topper, got it cheap of my m8 who deals in 'em....if you want another Mike gimmi a shout?.
Memory foam is a bad memory for me, to much like the roll of foam we were give to put on top of a metal bed in HMP.
I can remember when I came home how my sprung bed felt like a waterbed!
Imo, you can't beat a well sprung mattress, keep the memory foam for unhooking mats, that's all it's fit for :).

About unhooking mats, I know several people who use pieces of bubble wrap as a unhooking mat, it does look better than any in use and is lighter and cheaper, and easy to clean off.
A bed in HMP, you must have been a model prisoner ,
It was a piece of cardboard on the floor for us in detention centre. ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I decided to buy a memory foam mattress after reading Steve’s post with an electric blanket for those cold winter days.
5487206a37665.jpeg

Philip

Reaction score
Reading this thread my admiration for my old JRC mat just got even higher. Still as padded as the day i got it, does not take on water and despite being abused has stood the test of time...knocking on 30 years now.
That aside sometimes i use cheap excercise mats..the dense foam sort. You can get them in drab colours and they come in long lengths that you can cut to whatever size you want. I roll them up and hide them in the undergrowth if i am fishing the same spot regularly. Less to carry and no messing the car up after.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
There's loads of cheaper ones on ebay if go outdoors is having a naked day.
This is more expensive but looks decent...

I think it could be rolled up or packed as in picture.

I've an Ultracult mat similar to that, which is well over 20yrs old now. Still in regular use too lol

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have 2 mats, will take one with me as per any club rules, but just have it on show,
Unhook the carp in landing net across knees, this is possible with carp in low to mid double. Then once unhooked, lower net in water to release, or into keepnet if in a match.

mikench

Reaction score
I plan to use the lift method again next time out in the hope of catching a few tench. I have a new method attributed to one A Wood but a search on here revealed the thoughts of someone in 2008 who wrote thus;

It's a bit of a bugger to get right... I keep trying, but its frustrating at times. But when you get it right and it works its brilliant.

Theoretical perfection is to have it perfectly balanced with just enough weight to dot the quill down so that the whole weight of the bottom shot is counterbalanced by the float, offering no resistance to a take.

However I don't actually find that it works... except in perfectly still and windless conditions that don't actually occur more than once in a blue moon in the real world.

Both ways are vulnerable to wind and water movement putting pressure on the line. Undershot ends up with the rig tending to lift the shot off the bottom and therefore prone to moving about. Overshotting means that the float can give a false indications, going under in as the wind or current puts pressure on the line.

Really a personal choice which irritation of the two you prefer.... myself, I usually go the slightly over-shot / over depth route and then wind down into position. But the undershot method can allow you to search a water slightly, using the movement that it allows.

The author bore the moniker Evan the Welsh Windbag. Could that be our very own Windy ?

mikench

Reaction score
Would it ever be feasible to trot on a section of river which is only 12" deep ie 1 foot and what size float would you use?

There may be deeper bits as depth is seldom uniform.

rob48

Reaction score
Would it ever be feasible to trot on a section of river which is only 12" deep ie 1 foot and what size float would you use?

Yeah, with a Trent Trotter, 2AAA up to 2SSG.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Mike, I often trott in that depth of water. Size of float would depend on the flow etc.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Yes Mike, Drennan loafer, the smallest one 4gr . 4gr olivette and fluorocarbon hook link to help avoid tangles.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

There is a very good book you can find around, "Float fishing" by Billy Lane . . . it has chapters on almost every style of float, including the penultimate chapter which is all abut the Trent trotter.

It is old now but the basics are still as hood as ever . . . . . .

Windy

Reaction score
The author bore the moniker Evan the Welsh Windbag. Could that be our very own Windy ?

My past catching up with me... I plead guilty. Far too long winded as ever... where did you think the nickname Windy came from ? Not weather related at all, despite my subsequent reputation as a weather Jonah !

john step

Reaction score
Mike,

There is a very good book you can find around, "Float fishing" by Billy Lane . . . it has chapters on almost every style of float, including the penultimate chapter which is all abut the Trent trotter.

It is old now but the basics are still as hood as ever . . . . . .
That used to be my bible back in the day. All I ever knew about was porky quills and grayling floats(like perch bobs) It was quite a revelation. I still have one or two of those Billy Lane floats. Sliders.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A Trent Trotter for 12" of water; that or a tiny 2" waggler. Worth remembering that the Billy Lane diagrams with a back shot dragging bottom are actually impossible to achieve!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the waters I fish, the Billy Lane trent trotters bodies are the wrong way up, the bouyant part of the body should be on the top...and they lack a long enough sight tip and stem.
If the river is smooth and steady a small avon/bolo will work perfectly.
Even in a foot of water you will most likely want to fish overdepth and either hold back or drag bottom.
Some of the smaller dome topped wire stemmed Dave Harrel and Woodys stick floats may be ok.

Oh, forget the silly back shot.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks all. Surprisingly I have a few trent trotters chubbiest and a few small floats so I’ll give one a go on the Dane.,