Small sized hooks with over sized eyes?

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
So, here I am tying some hook lengths when suddenly I realise that the eye on my size 16 and 18 hooks I am using will not accommodate a knotless knot. Does anyone use big-eyed hooks and if so where the ****ens are they available from...

seth49

Reaction score
My favourite hooks Guru QM1s handle knotless knots no problem, available in sizes 10 to 18. Good strong hook as well, my go to feeder and margin hook.

rayner

Reaction score
What diameter line are you using. most fish can be landed with sensible lines. Hooks are generally oversize these days. I normally have to choose hooks a couple of sizes down to get a nice size.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, here's the thing. I seem to be able to catch decent smaller Carp on a 16 or even an 18 hook and I find that everyone keeps going on about using bigger hooks. When I use a bigger hook it can slow down the action because I will not catch the smaller stuff and that's no fun. Where I fish is a lovely lake but it comes with a mixture of very big and very small fish. You might fish for the morning and catch a little bream or tench and then suddenly a double-figure carp (or close) has attached itself to the end and your line goes with it. For this reason, I have upped the LB line to 15lb, a fishing mate has done the same because we are literally losing the fishing line to huge fish on an almost daily basis. But the thing is I still want to keep the hook sizes smaller, 14, 16 and 18. I am using King Carp 15llb with a Rovex 14.5 lb as the hook length. It may seem like overkill but it will help me to deal with those huge pulls. The other day I was taken out to the middle of the lake on a run and I didn't dare pull to stop, the fish then came back (so far so good) then it turned a sudden left and SNAP. So this line is a preventative measure. I am fishing in a lake that has everything possible so I just need to cover it.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
You see I want to be able to tie my banded rigs using the 14.5 lb but I am having trouble with the knotless knot and the eye. I have got a few of those heat wrap thing so maybe I can use those to make a loop, then seal it with a wrap.....?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Where to start?

If I understand you want to use a size 16 or 18 hook with 14lb line so you don't miss bites from small fish in case a big carp comes along.
Ever hear of balancing your tackle to the species being targeted?

The gauge of the hooklength is likely greater than the wire gauge of the hook, even if you hook a huge carp the hook will probably straighten even though your line may not.
Also when targeting silvers the hooklength won't behave as intended.

I regularly fish a lake with lilies and carp to nearly 30lb, catching them accidentally up to 14lb on the feeder and have never found the need to go heavier than 6lb mainline.

I suggest you either concentrate on one thing or the other, and with such heavy lines use a bigger hook ?if you want to target the carp.

john step

Reaction score
Your tackle is not balanced. Use a bigger hook. Thats the beauty of a hair rig isnt it. The carp sucks in and the hook follows. If you are worried about the weight of a larger hook try a wafter for bait or incorporate a floating plastic maggot to counteract it.

Imagine you have a small rowing boat. You want to tie it up to the quay. The only rope available is one of those super thick ropes used to tie up supertankers or cruise ships. The weight of the rope will drag the side of the rowing boat down. It is not balanced. Just like heavy bs line and small hooks.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Reminds me of a pond I used to fish.

Me "Caught owt"

Them " Nah, but I've been snapped eight times"

This is a genuine conversation I had many years ago. I asked him if he'd stepped up his gear to compensate and he replied "no, because the bites from the small fish dry up".

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just bought a 6lb line and put it on my latest reel, I usually use 4 or 5lb but went to 6lb this time because I wanted some for a mates reel and he is a beginner. I have landed carp up to 15lb on 5lb line but I was lucky at the time as some weed got caught around it and it came in calmly. However, its still a strong line and this 6lb line is even stronger, I got caught in a tree last time and really struggled to break it which I had no choice to do. I use 14 hooks for roach etc. and have no problem putting 14's on this 6lb line. I use Drennan barbless hooks and they are strong and I cant remember one ever straightening out even with the odd carp I have caught up to about 8lb. 5 or 6lb line with Drennan barbless hooks is just about the best all-round set up in my opinion. Roach, bream and tench etc. will still bite and carp up to a fair size should still be no problem, although that depends on a lot of factors as well, like snags for example, but you should still have a good chance of landing them.

Reaction score
Well shipmate,you should be using an anchor,not a hook with lines of that diameter,that is the line you would use for forty pound plus fish,any size 16 or 18 should and would open on lines that thick,what rods are you using?

rayner

Reaction score
15lb line, I used to use 15lb hook link boat fishing off Whitby.
I fish 5lb on my reels for feeder fishing on commercials hooklengths vary between .12 to .15 depending on the time of year.
If you are more confident using heavier lines that is OK with me, try tying your hook then tie the hair separately using a thinner line.

The bad one

Reaction score
Is this thread a windup? .35 line through an eye on a 16 - 18 hook? Probably the only type of hook link material you'd get through such eyes is Drennan micro 12 lb braid and that's a gold colour.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Assuming this is a serious question...you can't use 15lb line (and whatever TC rod is suitable for such a line) with size 16 and 18 hooks. Simple.

To get 0.35mm line 3 times through the eye of an hook means you'd have to be using something like an ESP Raptor Big-T size 2 !!!! The wire gauge would need to be over 1.05mm (3x0.35) and there is no way you can form such a small hook in wire like that. It's way too stiff and strong.

So what you are trying to pair up is totally impractical.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
OK everyone, just calm down a little, this is a work in progress. I am totally aware that 1 size 16 hook on a 15lb line is not going to work but let me fill ya all in with the scenario. I will give you an example of a conversation I had today with a guy fishing a few pegs up from me, it is typical of the problem. I asked him how he had done after explaining that I had caught 4 bream and a crucian carp. He looks surprised, he had after all caught 4 tench, six bream and 3 crucians, so far so good. Then he told me a story that I have both heard and experienced a few times myself. He told me how he had had the line taken by a huge Carp that took him into the reeds and SNAP. So I asked him what line he was using. He had one rod with a 10 lb on it and one with a 12lb. Now, these bloody great fish are on the up around the lake and they literally take you (and the rod if you're not careful) for a runaround and a snap. What I am trying to do is figure a way of manning up the tackle so I stand half a chance. I'm not targeting the big ones but they have a habit of attaching themselves to the line. I understand you all, big fish can be brought in on light lines and all but in this situation, I need something that will withstand the fight. Plenty of double-figure Carp in here and they mean business. When I get a SNAP it is nearly always the hook length, hook taken, length broken. So I need a stronger hook length and a stronger line. If the lake was clear of reeds I would stand a chance. Like everyone else here, I have had good-sized fish on light lines but these ones are a different story. So I am thinking around possibilities.

Reaction score
Sadly,with no knowledge of the level of playing proficiency of said 'experienced' angler I wouldnt know myself what strength of gear is needed,let me explain,a large number of anglers buy rods with X test curve,lines of X breaking strain,and then apply hardly any pressure on this tackle,fishing in weedy,snaggy swims is very tackle specific and also often hit and hold be that on a float rod,feeder rod,or any other heavier kit,this is being super aggressive from the get go,no farting about,full on pressure,if you have your tackle right they have no chance in the main,fishing tiny hooks on 10lb plus line isnt going to work efficiently...