Sportex 11.6. 2lb

hague01

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have just won on eBay a re built sportex rod as above. Ringed for barbel the ad said. It hasn't arrived yet but I am a fan of sportex and barbel rods so thought it was worth a punt. I have enquired of sportex direct but recall I usually get all the info I need on FM platform. Has anyone any recollection of this blank. From what little I learned, didn't fish pre 2010 that Barbel rods were usually lighter than 2lb. Maybe it's an Avon tip?. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Alec

Molehill

Reaction score
I have a couple of sportex rods, from when Tony Fordham was distributing them, I built them from blanks and I guess 25 years ago? One was on a blank that he told me was used for barbel at the time, but certainly not 2lb tc. Think it is 11ft and I've rarely used it, they did some nice actioned rods for their time, one is still a favourite light ledger rod that I use frequently.

hague01

Reaction score
thanks for that. I hear the rod has been dispatched and I am very interested to see it. I have seen some tony fordham rods advertised as 11' barbels to 1 1/2 and his reputation for rod quality was superb.
When it arrives I will try and put a photo up.
I have had twin tips where the quiver was 1/1/2 and the avon 2lb which suggests maybe its that or even an old carp rod. I suspect its circa "last century" but who knows.( yet). Its another story but I saw an old blank yesterday, a fox kevlar feeder .It had the most beautiful green filigree design on the blank. Quite magnificent really

hague01

Reaction score
It arrived today . Its said to be a new rebuilt and clearly is that. Nothing like the quality of my peregrine built rods imho but it wasn't peregrine price either. Its a matt charcoal grey blank. I cant see any other distinguishing marks.. Great value for what I paid though. Any chords that this make strike will be appreciated. Not sure it measures 11.6 either, more like 11' 9 or10.