Stillwater Chub

D

Dave Coster

CHASING SHADOWS

Since moving to the Midlands I have discovered a wealth of lakes that hold chub. However, this species can be notoriously difficult to catch in stillwaters, blending into the background and becoming almost ghostlike. Odd fish sometimes turn up accidentally, but specifically targeting these elusive creatures is a big challenge. I first got into chub fishing on the canals around London, which presented a few similarities to venues I now frequent. Hotspots were away from busy areas, over on the quieter far bank, where you needed to cast inch-perfectly to get a response. Good chub weights were possible, even in matches, but these fish were never easy. Chub are rarely caught in competitions on the lakes I now fish, although they can turn up on quieter days. They are like their canal cousins, hugging far-off features and rarely moving into open water. You need to explore less-used pegs, island havens, and close to inaccessible, or heavily overgrown areas.

BUSH CRAFT

The lakes I currently visit, particularly the more overgrown ones, require all the cunning and watercraft I learnt on canals. Chub love overhanging foliage and can be difficult to entice away from it. Thick bush or tree cover are obvious haunts, but unlike canals where chub don’t have much competition, in well-stocked lakes they are often pushed away from likely features by carp. This creates swims that are not immediately obvious hotspots. It might be deeper margins, not necessarily heavily overgrown, but in less disturbed areas. Islands are obvious holding areas and can be fished the same way as the far bank on canals. The channels around them are worth exploring too, thanks to water circulation caused by undertow. Other spots chub love to inhabit are neglected, difficult to fish pegs, especially if there are lots of snags. This torpedo-shaped fish came from just such an area, where persistent loose feed eventually tempted it out.

STRANGE WAYS

I’ve found chub in some unusual places, such as in this instance on a carp-dominated snake lake. The fish was lurking under a far bank bush, holed up with a decent perch that graced my landing net a short time afterwards. Carp were swirling tight to the far side rat holes for the loose feed I was putting in, but I had noticed the bush over to my left was strangely quiet. An occasional helping of casters, instead of the pellets the carp were mopping up, soon brought a positive response. The chub fell for a shallow rig, tucked right in amongst the foliage it was hiding under. I have to think twice on this venue now, because I suspect there’s more of these surprise fish to be found on the fringes of the ravenous carp shoals. Other stillwaters in the area, reputed to have been stocked with chub, haven’t always produced any. This is not altogether surprising, because when I owned a lake, I never again saw any of the 500 samples of this species I stocked it with.

NATURAL APPROACH

I’ve accidentally caught stillwater chub on pellets, although on venues stuffed with carp, the best way to avoid the latter species is to simply loose feed casters. Chub love this bait and by feeding little and often, it’s normally not enough free stuff to interest greedy carp, but certainly enough to wake up the target species. I suspect when chub are in the margins, they get used to picking off insects, worms and berries that tumble into the water naturally. Catapulting a few casters into these areas regularly, resembles a natural food source plopping and trickling into the water. A great trick here when fishing over to heavy bush cover, is to deliberately fire some shells right into it, so they tumble down into all the inaccessible places. Then, by feeding up against the feature, the fish underneath will gradually pop their heads out and have a go. Casters are better than maggots, being less prone to tangling with foliage when small hooks are buried inside.

RIGHT HOOKS

Chub are streetwise, knowing all the tricks. Give them an inch and they will trash your rig instantly. They are masters at transferring hooks into snags, and even relatively small fish pull extremely hard. Strange as it might seem, I find stillwater chub require stronger tackle than their river cousins. I often scale right down on flowing water to tempt bites, finding it possible to land big fish on light lines and medium wire hooks. But the same gear easily gets trashed in lakes, particularly when fishing tight to areas with heavy cover and underwater tangles of weeds and roots. For stillwater fishing I use 0.14mm mono, tied to super-strong VMC EWG 7039 hooks; size 16 for double casters and size 18 for a single shell. I prefer the barbless version, or remove the barb if I can’t get that design. Stepping up like this doesn’t worry me on many lakes, because generally they are a lot more coloured than most of the rivers and canals where I would expect to find chub.

GOING BACK

I recently revisited a local club lake I hadn’t been to for some time. The last occasion I was at this place there were several shoals of chub milling around in the clear water, but these fish were extremely shy. Go anywhere near them and they would quickly fade away. This was a shame because there were some fair-sized samples amongst them. Something had changed since then, the venue had been stocked with numerous small carp and they had stirred a lot of colour into it. No signs of any chub on the surface, but I remembered having seen a big shoal previously up the far end of the lake, where an arm can only be accessed from one side. The grassy far bank didn’t offer much cover, but it looked deep over there. I decided to give it a go with insert waggler tackle, fishing the far side in the way I would have done years ago on many of my favourite Southern canal venues. Little did I know, but some of that old magic was about to return big time.

SETTLING IN

Plumbing up by using a small piece of tungsten putty on my hook, revealed a good three and a half feet of water tight to the far bank, with just over four feet down the shelf. I started in this area, about a metre out into open water. It took a while to get bites, carefully catapulting small helpings of casters around my insert waggler, trying to avoid attracting any carp. I missed the first three super-fast indications, before connecting with one of the culprits, a small gudgeon! A couple more of these fish followed before a proper bend in my 13ft float road signalled a 12oz chub. This was a great sign, but something wasn’t right because the bites dried up after that. I tried casting tighter over to the grassy far bank. I had noticed when I fed that odd fish were swirling for casters right on the waterline, also amongst odd clumps of marsh grass over there. I managed to slot my float in much closer and although my rig was now well over-depth, I left it there and waited…

IN THE ZONE

The tip of my peacock waggler didn’t go under, instead it started to glide along the far side. I struck and immediately there was a strong force attached. Something powerful and angry thumped hard against my rod tip several times, as I tried to keep it from diving into the remains of a big lily bed to my right. I had to give the fish some serious stick because, typically chub-like, it knew where all the snags were. It certainly didn’t like the open water when I coaxed it out there, so the next bag of tricks was trying to dive under the bank at my feet. My rod was arched round into a dangerous “U” shape, trying to keep the fish from the nearside roots and rushes. I eventually saw a flash of bronze under the surface and it was indeed a good chub. Once I got it in my landing net it was still thrashing about. Before unhooking, I quickly catapulted some more casters over to the far bank, to try and hold any more of the shoal that might be competing for my feed.

LIKE OLD TIMES

I managed to tuck my float in tight again and it wasn’t long before it sailed away. I was attached to another feisty fish, which followed the same routine the previous one had taken. This sample was even bigger and gave me a few hairy moments, particularly when I got it near the landing net. Many great memories started to flood back, catching good chub like this on similar tactics from the Lea Navigation at Ponders End and Tottenham Locks, also the Grand Union Canal at Denham and Cassiobury Park. I won matches with this species on these venues, back in the days when they were packed with chub. It was great fishing, before we had poles long enough and good enough to get over to the far bank. It all started with home-made drinking straw wagglers, then we had Canal Greys and similar Image all-balsa wagglers. Peacock came next and is still my favourite waggler material, only modified these days with translucent hollow plastic inserts.

CHANGING WAYS

I approached this session slightly differently to how I tackled canals. Back then I would carefully prime the far bank and only go over there once the chub were feeding confidently. This would entail messing around closer in on the pole, while building up the distant swim, instead of diving straight over there. That method won me loads of matches because anglers who went straight out for the chub only caught a few early mug fish. The shoals never came back after that. By getting the chub competing for loose feed, when I started to catch them during the second half of competitions, they just kept on coming. It took strong nerve to do this, but was worth the risk, resulting in some cracking hauls. This could have been the case here, only I was on a lake in the heart of Lincolnshire, fishing alone with just one feed line on the go. I kept small helpings of casters going in and gradually the swim had come alive. The chub were not in a feeding frenzy, but close to it.

NICE RESULT

My single-minded waggler attack resulted in twenty chub of various sizes, the better ones featured in this photograph. What was interesting was, apart from the bigger fish, there were also some under the pound mark, making me wonder if this species might be breeding in this particular venue. I was also left wondering if my old way of doing things, feeding the far side swim up before actually casting over there, might have pulled in even larger fish. Most of the better samples had resulted by casting extremely tight to the far bank. I had tried dropping short and deepening off, but that only produced missed bites. It seemed to me that presenting my rig up against the bank made it harder for these shy fish to spot any danger signs. Bites were ultra-positive there. I hadn’t fed a large amount of casters, believing if I had, the ravenous carp shoals would have moved in. I planned to return and try things a bit differently, to see if I could catch some even bigger fish.

EVEN BETTER

I did go back and visited the same peg again a few days later, only this time I tried feeding the far bank for longer before going over there. I cast much closer in when I did start fishing and once again the chub were having a go. Bites were not as frequent as before, but now I knew where to present my hook bait, when they came it was from better-sized fish. I suspect I would have caught a lot more if the sun hadn’t come out, along with the wind dropping. The bright, still conditions slowed everything down dramatically. I tried dropping my waggler tackle short, well down the far side ledge, eventually picking up two bonus bream there, but nothing else. Towards the end of the session, as the light faded, a couple more chub boosted my catch to a dozen good fish. I was well pleased with that; a nice tally that would have been well received on any river or canal, let alone a small club lake. These four pristine fish represented the average size of the rest of my haul.

The post Stillwater Chub first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

Reaction score
Over time I have caught a large number of stillwater chub,on a variety of lakes,one thing I found was they mainly hung out in the open water near the surface,loose feeding maggot often had fish swirling,though still crafty,catches of of 30/60 decent chub to around 5lbs on some waters,the first lake I caught a stillwater chub from had the Windrush running alongside it and was full of chub,though I never,ever saw it flood these chub had to come from the river...

I enjoyed your article Dave,as you can see it brought back happy memories:).

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I very much enjoyed reading this article Dave. It brought back memories of catching the Chub at Lady Capels many years ago..

Dave I’m fairly surprised you didn’t mention the Lady Capels stretch of the GU canal when you mentioned catching Chub tight up to the far bank on the canal, especially as Lady Capels featured in your book ‘Coarse Fishing Year’; I wonder if those large Chub are still there; tight up against the far banks along the Lady Capels stretch; since the anglers have virtually deserted the place?

There were a couple of main spots where a decent haul of Chub were possible at Lady Capels; the downstream ‘Beam swim’ which was on a bend and had a wooden Beam running across a very small outlet stream, and the other was at the upstream end of the Wides along the overgrown far bank, down to the mouth of the lock overflow stream just next to the lock.

Before it was gated off I used to wade in this lock overflow stream and trot downstream into the canal and often had the Chub moving right next to my legs chasing the large minnow shoals that were held up there; however the majority of the Chub we saw there were lined up within inches of the concrete edges of the lock overspill stream.

I had a look at this stretch a couple of months ago and didn’t see a soul fishing there, and there were lots of barges berthed all along the edges; whereas there used to be no barges berthed along the stretch (apart from the occasional one waiting to pass through the lock) back in the 90s when I last fished there.

I just wonder if the Chub are still there in numbers like they used to be when my mates and I used to fish there before all the commercials took all the anglers away back in the 90s. Perhaps I might try again this season.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I also enjoyed the article. Brought back memories of the GUC stretches mentioned and Lady Capels that Keith mentioned.
Dave, you touched on the subject of whether the chub breed in stillwater or not?
I fish a small " winter bites" complex in Lincolnshire and every winter catch a few stillwater chub. This year I have had 3 over the 4lb mark.
I have often pondered if they can breed there. I have assumed they get in from a pipe that keeps the levels up and the water fresh in the adjacent trout ponds.
At times there is quite a gush of falling water so who knows they may have bred there?

theartist

Reaction score
I very much enjoyed reading this article Dave. It brought back memories of catching the Chub at Lady Capels many years ago..

I had a look at this stretch a couple of months ago and didn’t see a soul fishing there, and there were lots of barges berthed all along the edges; whereas there used to be no barges berthed along the stretch (apart from the occasional one waiting to pass through the lock) back in the 90s when I last fished there.

I just wonder if the Chub are still there in numbers like they used to be when my mates and I used to fish there before all the commercials took all the anglers away back in the 90s. Perhaps I might try again this season.
Reports of otters down that way keith

Other parts of the GUC are still full of chub and some mighty ones too, for the time being at least

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Superb angling and brilliant tips again @Dave Coster
I've never had an opportunity to fish for Chub but they're on my wish list.
I've watched numerous YouTube videos about catching them and I'm hooked.
I'd love to catch one. I believe they're now in the River Inny in Ireland..........

Reaction score
How on earth did they get there,illegal livebaits???

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
How on earth did they get there,illegal livebaits???
Illegally stocked I'm presuming. The other ''native'' species may get used to living with them now.
They'll eventually spread throughout Ireland now as I think birds are the main carrier of fish spawn onto other waters.
I also think Ireland has a major opportunity to ban all Carp fishery earlier doors and learn from what has happen to the many English rivers in which they have gotten into and destroyed.................

Reaction score
Well roach aren't a natural species in Ireland,or are they,were they natural at Wexford,or was it Waterford,memories gone...

steve2

Reaction score
Interesting thing regarding birds transferring spawn between lake is that there is no recorded proof of this ever happening. It just assumed it happens. We have 2 lakes and a river next to each other one as no bream and few roach, one as shoals of bream and roach that spawn ever year and birds fly between the 2 all day. Also the river as no record ever being caught of bream. So where do fish come from remains a mystery. Bit like what came first the chicken or the egg,

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Well roach aren't a natural species in Ireland,or are they,were they natural at Wexford,or was it Waterford,memories gone...
I could be wrong but apart from Trout, Salmon, Sea Trout, Pike, Minnows & Perch the rest are all introduced species.

steve2

Reaction score
I know of pike anglers who travelled to Ireland with live baits and released what they didn't use. The same thing happened all the time in this country.

john step

Reaction score
I seem to remember this about Irish roach but of course I may be wrong.
There were rudd. The Irish called them roach and the English anglers said "no they are rudd"
The roach arrived and spread and the English anglers called them roach.
The Irish said " there you are we said we had roach all along, we were right" :rolleyes:

steve2

Reaction score
Roach or Rudd I remember having some fantastic Rudd fishing in Ireland back in the 1970's. Is there anywhere you can still catch big Rudd in this country?

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I seem to remember this about Irish roach but of course I may be wrong.
There were rudd. The Irish called them roach and the English anglers said "no they are rudd"
The roach arrived and spread and the English anglers called them roach.
The Irish said " there you are we said we had roach all along, we were right" :rolleyes:
What a cock & bull statement...........

Reaction score
Roach or Rudd I remember having some fantastic Rudd fishing in Ireland back in the 1970's. Is there anywhere you can still catch big Rudd in this country?

Sorry Steve,I can read that two ways,do you mean in Ireland,or this side of the water? In the UK there are probably hundreds,thing is,as in most species,waters are cyclical and have time lapses before everything is spot on again to produce biggies,the waters I caught big rudd from now have few rudd in,indiscriminate stocking of pike when there were none along with cormorants have virtually finished those(and these were waters in the hundreds of acres),but I know of some places if I chose to travel,the fens for example...

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry Steve,I can read that two ways,do you mean in Ireland,or this side of the water? In the UK there are probably hundreds,thing is,as in most species,waters are cyclical and have time lapses before everything is spot on again to produce biggies,the waters I caught big rudd from now have few rudd in,indiscriminate stocking of pike when there were none along with cormorants have virtually finished those(and these were waters in the hundreds
of acres),but I know of some places if I chose to travel,the fens for example...
I did mean in England but good to know there are still plenty in Ireland. All the waters I fish have few if any Rudd my last big ones
were taken on fly from stocked trout waters. I think they are the best looking fish we have.

Philip

Reaction score
Nice article.

Peter Stones stories about big stillwater Chub used to be very inspiring and I think many people thought back then that the record Chub would eventually come from a stillwater but that never turned out to the the case. The river fish have just continued to get bigger and bigger.