Stillwater Chub

john step

Reaction score
It did John but I accept your apology.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat​

May the road be successful for you.
I now take it that was tongue in cheek. I wasnt apologising . I have one of those memories that retain odd facts from decades past. I think it was something written in the angling press, probably AT from the 60s when anglers started going over to Ireland mostly in the close season.

Reaction score
The Oxfordshire area had a lot of pits with chub in Philip,not sure that still applies today however,I dont think these fish spawned successfully very often....

Rudd really are beautiful fish when they get a good size Steve,I don't get to fish anywhere with them in now,but i'm sure if I really chased them I would locate some,lets be honest waters with 1lb 8oz plus roach to be caught anything like regularly aren't that common either....

I can rmember fishing the Shannon at Lanesborough and catching pound plus roach,I was totally shocked as before that you only caught rudd,bream and tench(if you were lucky),I followed the spread of roach throughout the river systems via the angling weeklies,that was a while ago,I used to holiday for a few weeks a year too for a good few years...

Last edited:

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I think they are the best looking fish we have.
The Rudd are crackers from the Shannon.
My biggest ever Rudd was 2lb 4oz on the feeder on the Shannon in front of Bullock Island in the '90s in a match.
You can also catch them on floating maggot & shallow waggler tactics casting close to the reeds at night on the Backwaters when they start topping. Big wild tench in the Backwaters too.
They can also be caught by boat from the lilies around the island to the right of where the River Brosna flows into the Shannon & at Meelick Weir but I haven't fished that spot yet.

Keith M

Reaction score
Rudd really are beautiful fish when they get a good size Steve,I don't get to fish anywhere with them in now,but i'm sure if I really chased them I would locate some,lets be honest waters with 1lb 8oz plus roach to be caught anything like regularly aren't that common either....

I caught this lovely coloured Rudd from Riverside Whitty

Keith

barbelboi

Reaction score
Enjoyed the article - some years ago, before I moved, I used to fish a certain Colne valley gravel pit that used to run adjacent to a river. This river would often flood (prior to preventive works taking place) giving access to fish to enter or leave until the level dropped. The few chub that I caught there were always taken up in the water, never close to the bank, whilst fishing for carp on a puddle chucker (or similar) on pellets while catapulting a steady amount close to the float.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The best Rudd I had was from the Royal Military canal in Kent, around 2lb+ when you found a shoal, beautiful bronzed coloured a bit like Keith's picture but a deeper bronze and a hard fighting fish as well. Lovely fish when they are like that, could be my favorite fish if pushed.

steve2

Reaction score
Caught many 2lb plus Rudd from Lanesborough back in the early 1970 on floating crust fished in the reed beds. I haven't been back to Ireland in over40 years but still have fond memories of the country.

Reaction score
Many years ago I got wind of some large rudd being caught on a MK club lake,first trip I made was on a warm gale forced Northerly,so I opted for a spot on the south bank,I feeder fished around forty or fifty yards out with three maggots on a 16,after casting 20 times with the feeder to get some bait out,first cast the tip went round and I hooked a good fish,it came off,next cast the same,so on went a 12 hook,that afternoon I had between 60/70lbs of rudd,twelve over 2lbs majority over 2lb 8ozs,biggest 3lbs 1oz,I cant remember exactly but more than four between 2lbs 12ozs and 2lb 14ozs,I fished it in midweek and had more in that bracket,but every time my catches I got less of the big fish,I think somewhere on FM I made an exact record of it ,but i'm getting older and am still catching fish,so it gets harder to remember....

Philip

Reaction score
The Oxfordshire area had a lot of pits with chub in Philip,not sure that still applies today however,I dont think these fish spawned successfully very often....

That was my understanding too, that Chub dont spawn too well in stillwaters. I am sure they can but I dont get the impression it suits them too well so any new stock tends to be something thats been put in the water rather than new ones growing on but I am guessing.
Hanningfield was supposed to hold some monster Chub way back when but they are probably long gone now.

Rudd are lovely fish indeed. I found a gravel pit within striking distance of me that holds some absolute whoppers. It’s a water open to all but everyone goes for the Tench and Carp. However a couple of seasons back I saw some Rudd in a quiet corner, a couple of which were absolute monsters. I managed to catch some good fish but despite one half chance when a big one veered for a moment towards my slowly sinking maggots I could not tempt one of the giants.

Here is one of the better ones I did manage to catch, stalking in some shallows. As I put it back I took a close look at it as it swam off and the big ones absolutely dwarfed it. I know what I saw but I began to doubt myself over them thinking they must have been Ide but no ide have ever been caught from the water. Anyway I plan to go back this season if I can find the time , I have no idea if the whoppers are still there but maybe they will still be gliding about in that quiet corner. Hopefully one of those really hot days this summer I’ll get to find out.

Rudd.jpg