Sunday match in France

Silure

Reaction score
I did a pole match yesterday on a lake in France that is full of Bream and carp. The morning was vzery cold as there had been a heavy frost overnight. Got to the venue and met up with some French friends and also met 3 other English fishermen. I had peg 2 which was one of the favorites. After the whistle the going was hard. I had to wait 1 and half hours before getting a bite. Landed a nice size carp and within 2 minutes had another bite. This was something bigger and took off like a rocket with my elastic stretching out and pole bent over. The fish made it to some overhanging branches so I had a wait to get it out. Eventually got it to the landing net and a nice 5.2 kilo cartp. Nix had a bream to 2 kilos then the swim died for 2 hours. After which managed 6 more carp. In total 15 kilos. The winner a guy opposite me had 19 kilos of bream. I came second so quite pleased. Now for the difference between French and English prizes. Second place was 2 dozen oysters and 2 large bags of groundbait. Starter for me tonight is as photo washed down with a nice bottle of fizz, followed by lamb curry.
20210322_170421.jpg
20210322_170540.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oysters with some shallot vinegar . . . food of the Gods.

Personally I prefer a Muscadet to go with the oysters or even a very chilled Fino Sherry.

Either way your match lunch is a lot better than our warm and dry sarnies lol

mikench

Reaction score
Yes but we are not Philistines Mark and appreciate some of the finer things in life which possess a certain je ne sais quoi.My emoji button has gone again plus all the others. Smiley ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Yes but we are not Philistines Mark and appreciate some of the finer things in life which possess a certain je ne sais quoi.My emoji button has gone again plus all the others. Smiley ?
You stick with your oysters Mike,
To me they are like swallowing when you have a bad cold.
I will stick with sausage barm cakes and brown sauce or a cornish pasty on a barm cake.
Washed down with either John Smiths smooth or Tetleys bitter.?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark, maybe try them cooked as in Oysters Rockefeller . . . . totally different and not at all slimy.

I know a lot of people who wont touch them raw but adore then cooked that way . . . . just add a few wedges of lemon

mikench

Reaction score
You stick with your oysters Mike,
To me they are like swallowing when you have a bad cold.
I will stick with sausage barm cakes and brown sauce or a cornish pasty on a barm cake.
Washed down with either John Smiths smooth or Tetleys bitter.?
I wouldn't say no to that either. ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I’m definately not a big fan of oysters although I do eat the occasional one. :)

When we occasionally dine at the Loch Fyne seafood restaurant in St Albans my daughter always orders a large platter of oysters for us all to share while we are waiting for our main course as she loves them; and I seem to be the only family member that doesn’t really like them. Mind you I’m not keen on Whelks or Mussels or escargot or any other similar things that come in shells either :confused::giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my favourite restaurant in Paris is L'auberge DAB (in the 16th) where they serve the most amazing seafood.

The seafood platter for two has to be seen to be believed . . . but reading the previous post I guess Mike might not be impressed with it . . . . .

mikench

Reaction score
I probably would. I'm my experience the café de Turin in Place Garibaldi in Nice takes some beating for the choice and variety of oysters and it's fruits de mer. You can't book just queue up'outside.

Keith M

Reaction score
I probably would. I'm my experience the café de Turin in Place Garibaldi in Nice takes some beating for the choice and variety of oysters and it's fruits de mer. You can't book just queue up'outside.

I was in Nice during the Nice Festival when we were anchored out at Villefranche-sur-Mer for around a week a few years ago.
That was a good stop off. (y)

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I don't mind Shrimps or Prawns.
Have tried cockles ,mussels,whelks ( like chewing fish flavoured chewing gum ).as for crab sticks I wouldnt even think of trying those, My middle son used to eat roll mop herring when he was 5 years old

About 30 years ago a few of use used to go around the pubs selling seafood, made a few bob each weekend.

Philip

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of raw Oysters but cooked in their shells under a grill with a Mushroom, Shallot, breadcrumb gratinée they are very good.

The best place I ever went to for seafood in general was Sicily. Take a walk round some of the little seafront towns on market day and the produce on display is amazing.

mikench

Reaction score
I'll try most things once like tripe but some things I just wouldn't clamour for. I put , welks and sea urchins in this category. I just don't see what all the fuss is about but I do eat them as it would be churlish not to if offered. There are few foods we do that are better ( rather than different) to the french equivalent but black pudding is one. I find boudin noir inferior bring less firm and a bit sloppy when boiled. I love black pudding simply boiled with hot English mustard and bread and butter. Both are fine fried.