tall glass tube/cylinder

stripey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hope you can help out here, i need a tall clear glass/vase or cylinder to check/set up pole rigs, and have no idea as where to buy one from i have tried Amazon under laboratory /medical glassware but to no avail, it needs to be about 2'6" to 3' high, i really need this asap because this winter i have the onset of arthritis in fingers on both hands 2 months ago i was fine with no problems at at all, so it looks like more pole fishing than rod and line, so stick float sessions look like summer only, oh" the joys of getting old !!!!

wanderer

Reaction score
Plastic aquarium, bet you can get one reasonably priced and chuck some trops in as well, fantastic peice of furniture.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Somewhere on the web there's a video from one of the weeklies about shotting-up rigs; the chap shotted up in a vessel only a couple of inches deeper than the float's length and then (the cunning bit) slid the wet shots up the line, and discarded the bit of line where the shots had been squeezed on. So any old sweets jar or pasta jar will do for anything short of Billy Lane-style "Missiles".

Unless you have a top-secret, ultra-cunning plan you need to share?

rayner

Reaction score
I use a 2 foot piece of 4" plastic pipe, the same stuff that's used for toilet waste.
No need to see shots in the water I know where I put them.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Blimey, that's insane prices for a bit of plastic pipe!

You could use a peice of clear or see through rod tube with the end cap siliconed on and sink it into a peice of timber for stability.
I might do that myself as I have a few bits of old rod tube knockin' about.

Chefster

Reaction score
I do the same for pole floats,cut top of 2 litre coke bottle,drop of washing up liquid in the water to neutralize the density of the water,shot up to base of bristle,and fine tune on the bank with trimming shot...for wagglers,etc,i use the water butt outside..Gazza

robtherake

Reaction score
I do the same for pole floats,cut top of 2 litre coke bottle,drop of washing up liquid in the water to neutralize the density of the water,shot up to base of bristle,and fine tune on the bank with trimming shot...for wagglers,etc,i use the water butt outside..Gazza

I did that, but I kept losing the bloody things when they were overshotted. It never occurred to just use a longer piece of line. :eek:mg: As a result, there are still a couple of (very slimy) home-made wagglers at the bottom of my 45 gallon drums at the garden. :D

slaphead

Reaction score
Have you thought about a beer brewing bucket, which can have multiple uses. :w

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
When I tie pole rigs at home i don't put any shot or hooks on.
Same with any waggler or stickfloat rigs.
I wait until I arrive at my swim, tie a hooklink on and plumb up first.
I don't feel confident plumbing up with shot on the line...
Especially on the waggler.....

Chefster

Reaction score
When I tie pole rigs at home i don't put any shot or hooks on.
Same with any waggler or stickfloat rigs.
I wait until I arrive at my swim, tie a hooklink on and plumb up first.
I don't feel confident plumbing up with shot on the line...
Especially on the waggler.....
Makes no difference to pole rigs,basically your just putting a float on a piece of line,thats hardly making a rig,and thats the bit that only takes 2 seconds anyway,might as well not bother ..i suppose we all do what were happy with though..Because i fish the same complex,with 9 pools,i make up my rigs completely at home,they are all kept on the topkits in a MAP top kit case,i can have 8 rigs,all plumbed up and ready to fish before the whistle goes,and all my shallow and dobbing kits are made up on short top kits in a rod tube as well,I like to give myself enough time before the start to be ready for all eventualities.Then if i need to change something in a match ,rather than not bother,because of loss of time,i know its ready..Im not one for just chucking out a splodger at the start of a match cos im not ready,id rather be ready..just my thoughts on it..Gazza

rayner

Reaction score
I did that, but I kept losing the bloody things when they were overshotted. It never occurred to just use a longer piece of line. :eek:mg: As a result, there are still a couple of (very slimy) home-made wagglers at the bottom of my 45 gallon drums at the garden. :D

If floats sink whilst shotting in a tube just stir the water with a spoon and the sunk float rises up in the vortex.