tall glass tube/cylinder

stripey

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you,lots of good ideas, but won't be spending best part of £22 on a piece of plastic.

rayner

Reaction score
That would be ok if you could get transparent soil pipe ;).

A transparent pipe would be better if your tackle room is hunted I suppose.
My shots are exactly where I put them after the shotting is done, I've never had one move yet.
How do you go on shotting floats in a lake or river when you can't see? do you rely on guess work.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A transparent pipe would be better if your tackle room is hunted I suppose.
My shots are exactly where I put them after the shotting is done, I've never had one move yet.
How do you go on shotting floats in a lake or river when you can't see? do you rely on guess work.

That's fair enough but if I was gonn'a go to the trouble of messing about like that i'd prefer to see everything hanging and how the float reacts to various set ups with a shot on bottom etc.
If your gonn'a use black or white pipe you might as well save yourself the trouble and do it on the bank....imo.

wanderer

Reaction score
Ever since the introduction of the non toxic rubbish, they tend to come off every time you play a fish.

robtherake

Reaction score
That's fair enough but if I was gonn'a go to the trouble of messing about like that i'd prefer to see everything hanging and how the float reacts to various set ups with a shot on bottom etc.
If your gonn'a use black or white pipe you might as well save yourself the trouble and do it on the bank....imo.

Bit different for home-mades, Ian - you need to know the shotting capacity in order to write it on the float before the last coat of varnish goes on.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Ever since the introduction of the non toxic rubbish, they tend to come off every time you play a fish.

I've oft been tempted to buy one of those old tackle boxes that comes up on Ebay, just for the lead shot. Who's gonna know, these days? :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bit different for home-mades, Ian - you need to know the shotting capacity in order to write it on the float before the last coat of varnish goes on.

Yeah, never thought of that Rob, probably because I never make floats, appart from the ones I flush away ;) :eek:mg:.
Regarding home made floats, being totally honest i'd much prefer mass produced floats. I've never seen a home made float that can compare to factory made ones....ok, I know i'm gonn'a uspet some float makers with that comment.
I really dislike those gaudy home made floats with feather inlays, loads of thread patterns etc etc, they just look daft :wh.

robtherake

Reaction score
Yeah, never thought of that Rob, probably because I never make floats, appart from the ones I flush away ;) :eek:mg:.
Regarding home made floats, being totally honest i'd much prefer mass produced floats. I've never seen a home made float that can compare to factory made ones....ok, I know i'm gonn'a uspet some float makers with that comment.
I really dislike those gaudy home made floats with feather inlays, loads of thread patterns etc etc, they just look daft :wh.

Horses for courses, Ian. I love the nostalgia that vintage-style gear conjures up and I still fish a porcupine quill now and then, just for the fun of it - they're actually rather good for fishing on the drop and cast like a good 'un.

It's hard not to appreciate the far extreme of the floatmakers art -the Andrew Fields floats and others - beautifully finished and presented and utterly perfect under the closest of inspections - but my wayward casting precludes the use of such baubles in a real angling situation. That's the principal reason that my own floats are more functional than finished - any work prettifying them is utterly wasted when you know you're going to stand on them at some point in their life, or add them as a decoration to the far bank foliage. :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Horses for courses, Ian. I love the nostalgia that vintage-style gear conjures up and I still fish a porcupine quill now and then, just for the fun of it - they're actually rather good for fishing on the drop and cast like a good 'un.

It's hard not to appreciate the far extreme of the floatmakers art -the Andrew Fields floats and others - beautifully finished and presented and utterly perfect under the closest of inspections - but my wayward casting precludes the use of such baubles in a real angling situation. That's the principal reason that my own floats are more functional than finished - any work prettifying them is utterly wasted when you know you're going to stand on them at some point in their life, or add them as a decoration to the far bank foliage. :D

Yeah, a porcupine quill is fine, even I still use them on still waters, along with peacock quill but as I said those floats made by the chap you mention and others do nothing for me at all. I actually dislike them, most of them don't even look as though they fish well.
I think you've got the right idea Rob, making functional rather than bizzare ornimental type floats.
I think Chris Lythes floats are my favourite custom/hand made floats, nice looking and functional but not "ott". His prices are reasnable also.

rayner

Reaction score
If your gonn'a use black or white pipe you might as well save yourself the trouble and do it on the bank....imo.[/QUOT

Shotting floats on the bank is out of the question for me!
Put stotz on the line at home put them where they need to be on the bank.
There's no way my shotting is in the same place after I start, I constantly move shots up and down same with the float.
I haven't left shots in the same place from start to finish since I was lad so it would be pointless trying to get everything perceived to be perfect at home.

---------- Post added at 04:10 ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 ----------

I'm always moving shot and float up and down the line? pole or rod and line :eek:

I too move shots constantly, but not in a tube at home.
Shotting at home is only a rough guide as floats behave differently in fishing situations as you know.

peytr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hope you can help out here, i need a tall clear glass/vase or cylinder to check/set up pole rigs, and have no idea as where to buy one from i have tried Amazon under laboratory /medical glassware but to no avail, it needs to be about 2'6" to 3' high, i really need this asap because this winter i have the onset of arthritis in fingers on both hands 2 months ago i was fine with no problems at at all, so it looks like more pole fishing than rod and line, so stick float sessions look like summer only, oh" the joys of getting old !!!!

peytr

Reaction score
Revitalising an old thread I stumbled upon while investigating if my post would be redundant...

I use a large Ikea vase they sell under the name 'Cylinder' and which seems to be designed with the pole angler in mind(y).

There are small ones Ikea sells in sets (too small to my liking) and they have the big one at 68 cm. I like the fact it's made of glass and it's quite strong. Of course it takes a bit of water so I put a tiny bit of chloride into it (household stuff) and only change the water once every few months. With the chloride the water doens't grow any nasties but gets a bit dusty over time :). Having the cylinder permanantly filled is a real benefit.
Also very nice to do duration tests when you build and/or repair floats yourself.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Revitalising an old thread I stumbled upon while investigating if my post would be redundant...

I use a large Ikea vase they sell under the name 'Cylinder' and which seems to be designed with the pole angler in mind(y).

There are small ones Ikea sells in sets (too small to my liking) and they have the big one at 68 cm. I like the fact it's made of glass and it's quite strong. Of course it takes a bit of water so I put a tiny bit of chloride into it (household stuff) and only change the water once every few months. With the chloride the water doens't grow any nasties but gets a bit dusty over time :). Having the cylinder permanantly filled is a real benefit.
Also very nice to do duration tests when you build and/or repair floats yourself.

My partner has a square glass vase just shy of 3' tall, unfortunately she has put those fancy looking twigs in it.
I think she got it from somewhere like Dunelm.
At the moment I am using either the water butt,just have to remember to keep hold of the line at the top of the float. Or a cut down 2 litre soft drinks bottle and a dosapiombio, I have two of these, one for small floats and a larger obviously for larger floats.
If I am doing a few of the same make,model and size, I will do two to get them more or less right, then shot the rest up without using bottle or water butt method.

rayner

Reaction score
A water bottle does me, not that I use it often. When a float needs reshotting I slide all the shots up to the float so I know exactly how much and what sizes I need for a certain rig.