Telescopic Landing net handle from China

Wakou

Reaction score
So, being skint (and naturally tight) I went ahead and bought one of these. Amazingly cheap, and perfect for what I want. After two weeks of feverishly checking the tracking sites, it arrived. Reader, I was thrilled! A thing of beauty! Lightweight, and of good quality, packs down to approx 18" and extends to 9' 6"!
1613301418212.png 1613301577776.png
Imagine, then how I felt, when I realised that it has an M8 (8mm metric) thread to attach a net. Making it 100% useless, unless you buy a net especially with a M8 screw. Almost all nets, banksticks, rod-rests, bite alarms, etc etc, have 3/8" BSF threads. Much head-scratching and google research resulted in nothing. No adaptors to be found. Neither of my spare net-heads can be bodged to have a M8 screw attachment. I could drill out the end of the new pole, tap and helicoil it. But that would cost far more than the handle did.
I am sorely miffed! Any suggestions welcome!
This is the offending item on Ali-Express:

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Can the screw end be cut off and the one from your old handle be suprglued and rivetted in? Leaving enough screw thread free of course?

Wakou

Reaction score
Well. That would ruin the old handle. And possibly the new one as well, knowing my skillz. It would certainly make it impossible to 'lock' the new one in the closed position.

Andaway

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe this would work?

Wakou

Reaction score
Thanks @Andaway! Kind of you to look. But it would need a MALE M8, to go in the hole. And a FEMALE 3/8" BSF to accept the normal net-fitting. And that is not BSF (20 tpi)...

Andaway

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks @Andaway! Kind of you to look. But it would need a MALE M8, to go in the hole. And a FEMALE 3/8" BSF to accept the normal net-fitting. And that is not BSF (20 tpi)...

Of course, how stupid of me!

Give these people a phone call

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a luminous rod rest and fell foul of this abnormality. I checked out the possibility of adaptors but decided I was throwing good money after bad and the rod rest was only £2.50. I keep it as a reminder of my foolishness and in case I go to Wuhan for a spot of fishing.

rob48

Reaction score
Can't you cut the 3/8 sleeve off a cheap bankstick and glue/rivet that in?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another Chinese export that the world would well have been better off without.
Agreed....but we would be roundly stuffed without chinese exports having run our own engineering/manufacturing industries into the ground. I hope post Brexit/Covid there's a few people brave enough to grasp the opportunities on offer so that in future we are not held hostage to the far east as we are now. Which is not to say everything made in china is rubbish but some of it is. UK produced stuff would probably cost more but I think that's a price worth paying.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Would this help. Might have to saw the excess brass nose of the 8mm male fitting.View attachment 13245
It may, the thread on that is 3/8" bsp.
The standard angling thread is 3/8" bsf.
I would buy cheap bankstick,cut threaded end off, cut threaded end from landing net handle and fix bankstick end in place.

Reaction score
don’t you love chinese rubbish, i repair electronics for my sins . you wouldn’t believe how crap chinese components and wireing is .i am suprised china doesn’t burn down on a regular bases ?

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
If you don't come up with anything, I have a 3/8 BSF tap at work, and access to a lathe, I made an aluminium end to convert the 3 thickest sections of a scrap 5m whip into a landing net handle,and araldited it on, works great. so if you can get the 8mm end off and measure the diameter of the hole required and come up with a few dimensions of what you want, I can make something at work. or if you can remove the end and post it to me, I can drill out the 8mm thread using an 8.3mm drill (tapping drill size for 3/8'' BSF) or check ebay for a drill and tap, and give it a go yourself.

Wakou

Reaction score
Thank you @Notts Michael! That is kind ! Could you run up something like this?
1613345543019.png
But with a male M8 and female 3/8" BSF?

John Aston

Reaction score
That's the same China that owns Volvo and Lotus then ? Their human rights record is an international disgrace , but they can make good stuff as well as the bad . And if we buy implausibly cheap tat from a Chinese vendor we can't really expect quality to be high . The reason why so much UK tackle is made in the Far East is because anglers , like most consumers , regard affordability as outweighing any other criterion.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree but only the S90 model is currently made in China. It is very well made however. Other marques made by Geely are an acquired ( not by me) taste however from an aesthetic perspective.

I digress. Well done to Nottsmichael for his kind offer. Despite our occasional spats brought on by unmentionable topics there are some very decent and generous folk on here.

seth49

Reaction score
Sorry for the duff information, I did search for 3/8ths BSF female thread, and didn’t notice it came up with 3/8ths BSP.