Telescopic Landing net handle from China

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Let's take bets on what could go wrong.?

Hole not drilled true.
Drill bit snatches in hole causing drill to spin.
Top section cracks due to pressure holding it in place.
Hole not tapped true .

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Unless I am reading something different it cannot be the sellers fault as all over the advert & spec it quite clearly states in big type 8mm !!!!

Fits MOST nets is not the same as fits ALL nets.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
@RMNDIL
I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with M8 threads etc. However the ad suggests that this is a "universal" fitting which "fits most nets on the market". Which is plainly untrue! 3/8" BSF has been the de-facto standard since FOREVER!
For instance if a company started selling bicycle pedals, but unilaterally decided that they should have a metric thread, and would therefore NOT fit any bicycle?
and ps. I ordered, at the same time, some cheapo rod-rests, and a bite alarm. Threads? 3/8" BSF. So it is not as if that threading is unavailable to manufacturers in China!

Different product, different manufacturer, different thread. Not unusual at all. You need to check carefully before buying not just assuming.

Wakou

Reaction score
Yes! Customer's fault entirely. We all go around with thread gauges and a photographic memory of tpi/pitch of all the different standards. I mean, when a trader says "Universal" and "Fits most on the market", that is just sales-talk. If I were to start selling Toyota parts to the Japanese market, and made them with Whitworth threads, then it would be their own stupid fault for not being intimately familiar with the precise specifications of Whit/BSF/UNF/UNC/JIS/BA/Metric/BSP/BSG/Cycle(french/Cycle(Italian) etc, wouldn't it?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yes! Customer's fault entirely. We all go around with thread gauges and a photographic memory of tpi/pitch of all the different standards. I mean, when a trader says "Universal" and "Fits most on the market", that is just sales-talk. If I were to start selling Toyota parts to the Japanese market, and made them with Whitworth threads, then it would be their own stupid fault for not being intimately familiar with the precise specifications of Whit/BSF/UNF/UNC/JIS/BA/Metric/BSP/BSG/Cycle(french/Cycle(Italian) etc,

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Yes! Customer's fault entirely. We all go around with thread gauges and a photographic memory of tpi/pitch of all the different standards. I mean, when a trader says "Universal" and "Fits most on the market", that is just sales-talk. If I were to start selling Toyota parts to the Japanese market, and made them with Whitworth threads, then it would be their own stupid fault for not being intimately familiar with the precise specifications of Whit/BSF/UNF/UNC/JIS/BA/Metric/BSP/BSG/Cycle(french/Cycle(Italian) etc, wouldn't it?
Yes it is the customers fault. It is very clearly marked up as an 8mm thread in big type on a large photo and in the spec sheet. You got what you ordered. It says 8mm, you knew we use 3/8" BSF and you still bought it ! Nobody to blame but yourself.

Wakou

Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that "I knew"? As mentioned above, I do not carry wth me at all times a thread gauge. When a trader tells me it "fits most on the market" and is "universal", I assume that he knows what size IS the de-facto standard.
I only found out that the actual thread of ALL landing nets, keep-nets, rod-rests, bite alarms, buzz-bars, IN LIVING MEMORY are in fact 3/8" BSF AFTER I bought it, and found that none of my nets would fit.
IF indeed, 8mm was UNIVERSAL and "fits most on the market", then there would be no reason for these bits to exist. And yet they do. And people buy them so what was that universal thing again? Is it 6mm 8mm 10mm 12mm? (answer,= none of these)

1613742576915.png

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Apologies. I got the idea when you wrote in your opening post 'Almost all nets, banksticks, rod-rests, bite alarms, etc etc, have 3/8" BSF threads'. Subsequent posts mentioning threads also indicated that you knew what was what.

Being an old git i've grown up knowing that we all use 3/8" BSF and have done - for ever.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that "I knew"? As mentioned above, I do not carry wth me at all times a thread gauge. When a trader tells me it "fits most on the market" and is "universal", I assume that he knows what size IS the de-facto standard.
I only found out that the actual thread of ALL landing nets, keep-nets, rod-rests, bite alarms, buzz-bars, IN LIVING MEMORY are in fact 3/8" BSF AFTER I bought it, and found that none of my nets would fit.
IF indeed, 8mm was UNIVERSAL and "fits most on the market", then there would be no reason for these bits to exist. And yet they do. And people buy them so what was that universal thing again? Is it 6mm 8mm 10mm 12mm? (answer,= none of these)

View attachment 13335
Some of the external threads on those look like a buttress thread, rather flat across the tops. Or possible acme thread.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
You are in my prayers Wakou. Fortunately you will not need to bury your failure. Be positive , it's a different form of dieing. ;)

Dangler40

Reaction score
Out of curiousity Wakou did you contact the seller ? You might just be suprised that they issue a refund and not request the item back. At least it will offset your current outlay.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
None of them, as they are all metric>metric. 6/8/10/12mm in various combos.
I have bought a 3/8" BSF tap and a drill as mentioned above. Surgery will take place tomorrow. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated at this difficult time.
We will hold a candle lit vigil for you
Along the lines of the ones being held at Anfield for the injured Liverpool players ?

rayner

Reaction score
That's really harsh Mark, shame on us. :love:
Wakou, with all the time and effort afforded by yourself and forum members, do you consider your chinky purchase well worth the money. Or will you completely knacker it before using it for beans?:love: A lot of effort to save a quid for an item that's never going to be good enough.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That's really harsh Mark, shame on us. :love:
Wakou, with all the time and effort afforded by yourself and forum members, do you consider your chinky purchase well worth the money. Or will you completely knacker it before using it for beans?:love: A lot of effort to save a quid for an item that's never going to be good enough.
Harsh but true ?
@markg Is waiting in the wings for the net handle then he can either ebay it or car boot it and make a fortune. ?