Tench Baits: (Boilies,Pellets)

waldi

Reaction score
I have a couple of weeks holiday in the south of Switzerland (Lago Maggiore) and can fish this area:

Bolle-di-Magadino-20951-ADT-MD.jpg

It is part of the Bolle di Magadino.

On previous visits I've seen a few big tench and I want to spend of couple of days targeting them.

Bait will be a problem as there are not many tackle shops in the area and I intend to take an assortment of pellets and boilies with me.

Any suggestions as to what might be worth trying?

At home I tend to stick with natural baits as far as possible but due to the high temperatures in the area keeping them fresh is always a problem.

Small baits like corn and maggot are immediately attacked by the hordes of mini roach and dace that also populate the area so was hoping pellets or boilies will be a bit more resilient to them.

The area is very lightly fished and they are certainly not used to artificials so any suggestions or tips very welcome.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I'm not sure but after Brexit I don't think you can take boilies to other EU countries. Certainly you cannot take them to France at the risk of a fine and confiscation.

waldi

Reaction score
I'm not sure but after Brexit I don't think you can take boilies to other EU countries. Certainly you cannot take them to France at the risk of a fine and confiscation.
Really! That stinks.

Luckily I'm living in the north of the country so no borders to cross :)

mikench

Reaction score
You are very lucky. I would happily fish that lake even if I blanked. Corn is a good bait with hemp as a gb. Fake corn on a hair with real corn works. I bought some ester fruit and code red boilies for tench but haven't caught on either. Pete Shears on this forum seemed to regularly catch tench on the former and on a large reservoir. You could also try fake maggoet and caster alongside the real thing. Take a picnic and enjoy.

Last edited:

waldi

Reaction score
It might look relaxing, but due to it being a part of a very large and swampy nature reserve things that bite are a big problem.
Red ants almost everywhere and mosquitos (including the tiger variety) abound which seem to show a strong preference for holiday makers blood.
There are several camp sites in the area and to see people walking around with infected bites the size of bantam eggs is not at all unusual.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Apologies Waldi, this only applies to travelling anglers in the UK not anglers already on the continent.

john step

Reaction score
If you can get them I would recommend 10mm strawberry shelf life boilies along with the usual tins of corn. If you can get any tins of cooked hemp to take then that is a great attractor.

If you bait the evening before with a couple of handfuls of hemp and the small said boilies that would be good.
The boilies would ensure that the small fish could not devour them before the tench are attracted.

mikench

Reaction score
Try Avon so soft moisturiser oil as it's known to repel mosquitoes and other biting insects. Even Er indoors says it works. Oh and it's cheap from Amazon.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
If there are any swan mussels in your water you could try these (if allowed). I would also try small strawberry boilies and maybe some 7mm ‘active 8’ or Crab pellets; these have all caught me some nice sized Tench in the past and kept the smaller silverfish at bay.

Keith

waldi

Reaction score
Good tip with the mussels. A bit further down the lake is a place where I do a bit of snorkeling. It has mussels half as big as your fist.

if allowed I’ll certainly give them a go.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Try Avon so soft moisturiser oil as it's known to repel mosquitoes and other biting insects. Even Er indoors says it works. Oh and it's cheap from Amazon.
Oddly enough, this was recommended in a post on the Barbel Fishing World forum recently. Skin So Soft actually doesn't act as a repellent - it forms a greasy barrier on the skin which traps insects and prevents them from biting you. I much prefer Smidge, which does contain a repellent and dries quickly on the skin. I use it to great effect on my face and hands, but have actually started wearing bike clips to stop bugs getting up my trouser legs after something bit my ankle recently, resulting in some rapid and
P1010069.JPG
impressively painful swelling...

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Oddly enough, this was recommended in a post on the Barbel Fishing World forum recently. Skin So Soft actually doesn't act as a repellent - it forms a greasy barrier on the skin which traps insects and prevents them from biting you. I much prefer Smidge, which does contain a repellent and dries quickly on the skin. I use it to great effect on my face and hands, but have actually started wearing bike clips to stop bugs getting up my trouser legs after something bit my ankle recently, resulting in some rapid and View attachment 16115impressively painful swelling...
Oh - nasty!

in response to the OP if they ar3 still available and you can get some, Richworth Tutti Frutti in 10mm are excellent even where they haven’t been seen before.

mikench

Reaction score
I have used Avon skin so soft for a good few years in the UAE , Nice, South Africa, Oman and Louisiana. It isnt greasy and doesnt form a barrier as its absorbed into the skin. It moisturises and is quick and easy to apply. I tan and use it all the time as a moisturiser. The fact it repels mossies is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I have used Avon skin so soft for a good few years in the UAE , Nice, South Africa, Oman and Louisiana. It isnt greasy and doesnt form a barrier as its absorbed into the skin. It moisturises and is quick and easy to apply. I tan and use it all the time as a moisturiser. The fact it repels mossies is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It obviously works for some people better than others - some interesting stuff on here: https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/ef...nt-myths-non-working-mosquito-repellents.html

Philip

Reaction score
but have actually started wearing bike clips to stop bugs getting up my trouser legs after something bit my ankle recently,
I sometimes tuck my trousers into my socks for the same reason...it can help.

Jungle formula worked for me but i stopped using it after i noticed it was also melting plastic like the arms on sunglasses. i keep meaning to give Avon sss a go.

As for Tench baits on a light fished natural water then sweetcorn should be readily available in local shops either in cans or frozen even in out of the way places and is instant. Downside is being soft small fish will also have it.

I also did well in the past on some natural lakes up in the Alps on Richworth Tuttis which outfished thier strawberry (i had taken both) by some margin, although that was for Carp.

Last edited:

BigFishOnline (Dave C)

Life's a river with a stick and pin for company
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but many thanks to Mike and others for sharing their experiences with mozzies and other irritating insects. I've ordered 4 x 250ml Avon Skin So Soft from the online Avon Shop for £20 including free UK delivery.

Whilst I am here I just have to say what a lovely experience it is to read everyone's adventures be they angling related or not. This is without doubt THE angling forum for anglers of all ages, ability, creed and colour wherever they may reside. The moderators have an easy life because of the type of people this forum attracts. Well done and tight lines to everyone!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention, putting your trouser in your socks also helps when walking through long grass to stop ticks getting on your legs and biting, they can give you Lyme's disease.