The Tench Timetable 00:01

J

John Bailey

#9 PROBLEMS

When things get hard, fishing at range can put you on new fish

I am aware that my Timetable so far might have made tench fishing seem reliably easy. For the main part, I do think if you take on board at least some of my advice you might catch more tench, but I would never, ever describe tench as easy or predictable, and like all fish, they can be kind one session, and killers the next. As a guide, I never relax, and I am constantly aware of how tench are responding to angling pressure. I have to be fair to fish and clients alike, and I am always scrutinising results for any indication of how the tench are responding to both us and the conditions. Which is where I have to begin!

WHEN THE WIND’S IN THE EAST…

Never forget that tench primarily live on naturals, not on our baits,
and an Easterly dampens food production

I have mentioned my dread of Easterlies – and to a marginally lesser extent Northerlies – before, but I still struggle to understand why their influence is so dire. It is my habit to watch BBC’s Countryfile, in part because of the weekly weather forecast. When I see five or six days of wind arrows coming from the East any time in April and May, I could throw the telly through the window. The killjoy effect of Easterlies might well be more pronounced in East Anglia, which does feel the first, coldest blasts as they come snarling in from the sea, but this is a national curse. Of course, winds from the East have the ability to completely dampen all fly activity. During days of East winds, there will be considerably fewer birds like gulls or terns, swifts or swallows over the water. There are simply not the fly hatches you can watch streaming endlessly on days of Southerlies or Westerlies. I can only repeat what I have already said. Fish any swim that is sheltered from these winds as far as possible. You will even find that whatever is caught will come in momentary, short-lived lulls in wind strength. Yes, they are that bad, and if any of you have conclusive reasons for why, let’s be hearing from you!!

HOW THE **** DID I MISS THAT?

Tough sessions, and edging closer to the pads can pay off

I have mentioned before the conundrum of perfect bites that are seemingly unmissable, but which you miss each and every time. I ought to elaborate. This is generally the case with float fishing, and it begins to happen after a certain number of tench have been caught. Bites become fiddly or quick, and you hit perhaps 40% of them, rather than the 95% you were hitting in the early days of the swim’s life. Then, shortly after this, the float might sail away, but you start to catch 5% of the fish, if you are lucky. The obvious answer is that the fish are learning, and learning fast, and this is the reason behind the problem. The solution is far more complex. At one level, you simply change your tack slightly. Pushing the float up the line and fishing three, even four feet over-depth has an effect sometimes for a short while. Try a smaller hook, or half a boilie, instead of a whole one. Try two plastic maggots on a 16, or half a worm on a 12.

UNDER PRESSURE

It’s hard work but sometimes you have to leave a pressured shoal,
and find a new swim and fresh fish

On a deeper level, you have to understand that you have pressured the fish overly, and it might well be time to leave these particular tench in peace – if you can. The main reason tench are so hard on heavily-fished public waters is that they are never left in peace, and have developed hugely sophisticated evasion strategies. You can have a very prolific, but hammered lake, and hardly any tench will come out. If you are lucky to have a tench water that is comparatively quiet or, say, fished by carpers alone, then move off perhaps, and find fish elsewhere on the lake if you can. And if you should be lucky enough to have a tench swim that by and large only you fish, catch them sparingly, and you will keep that swim hot for seasons. I’d rather catch two to four fish a session, year in year out, than have twenty fish a session for a couple of months, and then nothing at all.

LOSING IT AT LOST LAKE

I generally favour red boilies for my tench but when I struggle, Scopex are a lifeline

When things are tough, flavours can spice things up

Lost Lake has caused me so many problems I was glad when I lost my rights to go there! It was five acres, generally shallow for a pit, with good weed growth and a soft bottom. There were only around three fishable swims on the lake, and when you rocked up the water would be quiet. Pile in a bucket of bait however, and the swims would explode with bubbles. They’d froth and colour up, and when the sun was high, you could even see dozens of big tinca shapes gliding through the mayhem. Yet, despite the fact that the fish were obviously on the bait, a fish, a bite even, was a giddy result. Over ten years, my gang and I tried every trick in the tencher’s book, and then some. Just very occasionally we’d have a breakthrough, and think we’d cracked it. After a mere tench or two, the lake would revert, and the new brainwave would be as useless as the rest. A perfect example was the Ratters Bloodworm Rig. He made up a size 14 with a string of plastic bloodworm on a hair, all doused in bloodworm essence. He had three seven pounders in three casts, and did not get a touch on the rig for the following five years.

SUMMERTIME BLUES

A stunner caught against the odds!

I have stressed this Timetable has been primarily aimed at the spring tench angler, and problems only get worse as summer advances. As the waters warm and the insect life explodes, the tench become more picky. Then you have the daphnia blooms to contend with, when great clouds of the stuff hang in mid-water, and the tench drift through, feeding like basking shark. David Cooper, one-time bailiff at Blickling Lake, once tried to conquer summer tench by putting in so much stewed wheat that they would forsake the naturals altogether. He bought three tons of the stuff – and that was the dry weight! Boiled, it weighed double that at least, and he delivered it to the bank by tractor and trailer. Each evening he spread four dustbins’ full of the grains along the dam bank, and after a week, he had attracted every waterfowl in North Norfolk… and the lake’s copious head of bream. Not a tench could we catch!

Tench are our most glorious coarse species, and we all love them to bits. But be warned. Easy they are not!

The post The Tench Timetable 00:09 first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

john step

Reaction score
On one heartache pit I could see the tench cruising up and down in gin clear water. They never seemed to get their heads down.
The only way I caught any was to fish a size 18 at cruising depth well off the bottom loaded with 2 pinkies and pinkies catapulted over the top.

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
Brilliant insights again & thank you @John Bailey
I've just recently watched your excellent Carp, The John Bailey Way video on YouTube where you also caught a Tench on the float. I was just wondering if you could share your preferred strength and make of mono for Tench Float Fishing.
Cheers
John

J

John Bailey

#10 TENCH TODAY

Why have tench grown so big this past quarter century? This is the question I am asked on almost every tench session, and with good reason. In “The Big Fish Scene” (published 1978) editor Frank Guttfield described the legendary Len Head as the most successful tench angler of all time because he had landed the most tench over seven pounds (six of them) and the biggest brace ever (8.02 and 7.01). It is not unusual for my clients to land a dozen or more seven pounders in a day, with several eights and nines thrown in. Nor is that from a single water. On many Eastern gravel pits that is all but the norm.

That is a part of the answer. Much modern tench fishing is done on gravel pits, whereas until around 1980, estate lake and pond tenching was more common. I remember John Wilson and I trying to catch tench from Taverham pit in 1975, and not knowing where to start, and finding there was little help to be had from any source whatsoever.

WARMER WINTERS

Keith, Robbie and Malcolm with big yellow-flanked females.
Sand feeders and delicate pectorals

However, today, many of the estate lakes where tench have not been ottered are producing big fish, so gravel pits do not provide the complete answer. It is commonly said that tench grow big on high protein boilie baits that are used by carp anglers, and I am sure they do. But I can think of many non-carp waters where tench have never seen a boilie, but where they are still double the size they were in the 1980s, so there has to be something else. My feeling is warmer winters have a huge amount of influence. When we were boys, especially in the North, snow lay on the ground two months of most years, and tench lay pretty dormant for four-five months of the year. Their growth periods were therefore much restricted then, whereas today my carp syndicate boys catch plenty of tench in January, and huge numbers in February. Surely more months feeding mean more pounds and ounces added?

Let’s add cormorant predation to the argument. Without doubt, the numbers of silver fish in all the pits I know well (about 19 of them) are vastly reduced this century because of devastating predation. This has to be an influence on growth rates because far more natural food is left for tench to harvest and profit from.

TENCH… TWENTY YEARS FROM NOW

Simon Clark and Professor Carp with scallop-pelviced males

This does raise the question of where tench fishing will be in twenty years time when our present “monster” fish gradually die away. I have no doubt cormorants enjoy a half pound tench breakfast, as much as they do one of roach, and this has to have an effect on natural recruitment of stocks. The only saving grace, perhaps, is the fact that small tench spend a lot of time deep in weed beds, so this might prove to be a useful survival technique.

The size of a water plays a part. Estate lakes are not as vital to the tench scene as they were, because being small and shallow, they are easily denuded by otter attention. A smaller, shallower water simply gives tench fewer places to hide. Much deeper gravel pits seem to be considerably less otter-friendly and although I haven’t asked them this, I have lots of evidence to suggest otters do not feel happy at 18 feet plus. If anyone knows an otter who speaks English, send him round to me please.

TAKE CARE WHEN STOCKING CARP

A huge tench showing signs of losing colour. It must go back at once

A bream clearly showing two-toned signs of stress

Small waters, gravel pits especially, can produce tench just as large as the huge pits I know, so size of water is not necessarily a factor. However, smaller pits generally have fewer tench numbers in them, and populations can wither over decades. More importantly, if a smaller pit is stocked with carp, the introduced species can dominate very quickly and leave tench stocks fatally weakened. This does not always happen, but it can, so treat carp introductions warily please.

Of course, whilst I believe in what I have written because it is based on decades of experience, we can never be sure. For example, let’s look at tench abroad. In my youth, the magic of Ireland was all-pervading. The questionable Ray Webb was still viewed as a hero, and when he went to live in Ireland, we expected records to tumble. They never did, and as far as I am aware, a six pound Irish fish is still a good one. (As it is here, I hasten to add. Big fish are nice but I have never felt they are the be-all and end-all, and nor should they be.) I have fished in many countries where you would have expected colossal tench and I have been disappointed. The Ural Delta is a case in point. There are huge rudd and perch there, but a three kilo tench was regarded as a cracker by my guides.

MARKED FOR LIFE

Professor Carp with a male and JG with a female… the pelvics tell it all

Chris with an otter-tailed tench… easily recognisable in the future

I have always found tench most interesting creatures to study as well as catch. As we all know, sexing them is easy because of their obliging pelvic fins. (Males have huge scallop-shaped pelvics, whereas females have dainty leaf-shaped ones – as is only fitting and to be expected.) Tench also lead long and dangerous lives. Old otter scars are often found on their flanks and tail fins are frequently left tattered for life. Cormorant stabs tend to heal but remain visible, and big pike will always have a go, even at a five pounder. The only good thing from our point of view is that individual tench can be very recognisable because of their wounds, and I have known some adult fish to appear from time to time over fifteen-plus seasons. I tend to believe, therefore that our tench can reach twenty five years of age, perhaps more.

I also find that in many waters the sexes tend to stick together, and that you will catch males predominantly from one spot and females from another. This is not set in stone, and the sexes will mix to a degree, especially at spawning time (obviously!) but also to profit from a binge-type food source, like spawning carp shedding vast numbers of juicy eggs. I have found it interesting too that tench that live close to alders and over thick silt tend to be darker in colour, whereas those spending their lives in open, sandy areas of a water are that rich yellow/bronze colour we so adore.

TENCH DESERVE SOME TLC

Matt with a tench showing horrible lips, the result of heavy-handed carp tactics

A shocking testament to what bad fishing can do

So, tench are fascinating, beautiful, and a delight to catch, and they deserve all our care and attention. I hate to see tench caught too often on out-and-out carp rigs, as their mouths can be terribly mutilated by strong-arm playing tactics with four pound test curve rods and braid hook lengths. Playing tench softly but firmly is the way. Also, because tench are reasonably easy to deal with on the bank, do not think they are enjoying the experience. Make weighing and photography as quick as possible, and my plea is to forget keepnets entirely, especially in hot weather. The ultimate warning is when a tench exhibits two-tone colouring, as this is a sign that stress is really setting in. Bream are the most frequent species to show this tendency, but pike are not far behind.

We should be proud to be anglers, but we should feel privileged too, and be ashamed to ever abuse our fish-catching skills.

The post The Tench Timetable 00:10 first appeared on FishingMagic Magazine.

Continue reading...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Some of the Ringwood pits still hold tench to 13lbs as well as small ones (the ones I catch - yet to get one over 7lbs) but a couple of pits (one definitely, the other probably) have had their tench fishing wrecked by the introduction of catfish. The wrecked water now has cats to around 80lbs; other fish such as roach and bream seem to escape their depradations but somehow tench lose out. One water I fished last summer for the first time in 36 years - after roach actually - has tench of all sizes - the first one I caught was 3oz and in later sessions I had other small ones plus a cracker of 5-12. I dabbled on a nearby pit for roach and witnessed very big tench rolling.
One claypit of about 4 acres I first fished in 1970 when the tench ran to 2lbs, by '76 3lbs and now it has supposedly produced them to 9lbs (my best is still 5lbs from there).